Default wild ass kitchen concept .

Bill wrote:

: If you only put a screen there and it is not a touch screen then you also
: need a keyboard. A cheap lap top might the the way to go.

Another solution is an "Internet Appliance". None of these have been
very successful in the market and you can often find them either on
closeout or ebay. It will require some "geeking" to make work, but
can be a great solution if you're technically inclined.

For example, I have a 3Com "Audrey" internet appliance on my kitchen
counter for displaying recipes. It connects via ethernet to my Linux
server, which serves the recipes using some Perl cgi scripts that
provide a nice interface. All of the recipes were entered via a
Windows program ("MasterCook"), exported to a text file, and converted
to individual HTML files using another Perl script. One of these days
I need to write a couple more scripts so that recipes can be entered
directly, and add better search capability (other than by name)...

Physically, the Audrey is smallish (it fits neatly on the counter) and
since it has no fan or disk it is silent. It's got a color 640x480
touchscreen and an IR keyboard that hangs on the back, out of sight
except on the rare occasion it's needed. Cost me less than $100 for
the unit and USB-ethernet adapter.

-Brett

--
Brett B. Bonner This planet needs a lot more kids who think
taking the lawnmower's engine apart is *way*