Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Be careful out there!

I just thought I would post a reminder to my rec. friends to think about
safety. As some of you know I teach HS woodshop (greatest job in the
world!). Our school is one of a decreasing number of schools in SoCal
that have an outstanding voc. ed. program. We have (had) two wood
teachers. Yesterday afternoon the other teacher was working in the shop
cutting some stock for the new term. He is a nice guy but is somewhat
complacent in his personal concern for safety. I have mentioned it to
him a few times, but his answer was always something like, "I know this
isn't the best way, but I'm in a hurry. Besides, I know what I'm doing."
Well, to make a long story short, he was ripping a short board
(wider than long), guard removed and no pushstick. The board kicked
back and his right hand continued forward into the blade. He lost about
3/4 to an inch of his middle finger (can't be reattached) and about two
inches of his pointer. The did reattach it, but they are doubtful about
if it will keep.

Here is a guy, experienced, but over confident who will have a long time
to think about safety every time he looks at his hand. Please, guys, as
I tell my kids, never rush. Be safe!

Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking

Glen wrote:

Here is a guy, experienced, but over confident who will have a long time
to think about safety every time he looks at his hand. Please, guys, as
I tell my kids, never rush. Be safe!

Who was it that said, "If you get hurt it's not because your hand was in
the wrong place, but because your head was?"

rm
Posted to rec.woodworking

Even when beginning to read these stories, you know something unfortunate is
coming. When I finally get to what happens, it always makes my toes curl up
inside my shoes and I grit my teeth. EVERY time I turn on my saws I think
about these things and use a push stick and take my time. It doesn't take
any longer to be safe rather than sorry. Too bad he had to sacrifice
himself to learn that lesson. But it's a lesson not lost on me.
Thomas
"Glen" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

This reminds me of a movie they showed in every shop class I had taken.
IIRC it was called the ABS's of Hand Tools produced by GM. It featured a
little cartoon caveman named Primitive Pete. The narrator would say
something like "Don't do it that way Pete, you could smash your knuckles!"
and sure enough the tool would slip and ol' Pete would be screaming.

My Junior High wood shop teacher would explain that if a blade was spinning
at 1750 RPM and the blade had 80 teeth that would be 2333 teeth per second
so if you only tapped your finger on the blade for one second and each sharp
edge only shaved .001" inches of flesh or bone you would be all the way
through a 1/2 inch finger in less than a 1/4 second. Then he would show the
pictures of wounds and say this guy was fast, but not fast enough.

Junior High shop was 1973 and I still remember this. I can also attest to
the fact that setting the blade only high enough has saved two of my
fingertips.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"Glen" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had a high school shop teacher who was a safety fanatic.

I thought he overdid it a bit. But all my fingers are still intact.

I thought that all high school teachers were safety fanatics. Apparently
not.

He has no legitimate excuse for what happened to him. He is supposed to be
teaching shop safety. And practising it as well.

Reminds me of the guy they sent around every year to the grade schools who
lectured on never picking up blasting caps. He had almost no fingers. It
made an impression on me. I can still see his mangled hands today.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I had completely forgotten about that. Seems that, during the 60's, they
even had a TV commercial about the dangers of blasting caps. Must have been
a lot of them around, I guess.

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

Reminds me of the guy they sent around every year to the grade schools who
lectured on never picking up blasting caps. He had almost no fingers. It
made an impression on me. I can still see his mangled hands today.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had a drafting (For some reason it was called "mechanical drawing")
class in Junior High. I'll always remember the teacher holding up
his right hand, which was missing most of the index and ring fingers,
and saying, "I used to be a wood shop teacher until this happened..."

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Reminds me of the guy they sent around every year to the grade schools who
lectured on never picking up blasting caps. He had almost no fingers. It
made an impression on me. I can still see his mangled hands today.

I was working in the shop today with a guy who had NO fingers on his right
hand. He is employed on the cornice crew working on a house I'm building, so
there is little doubt where those fingers went. I was adding "laps" to cedar
planks using a dado set on the table saw and, although I started out in a
hurry, I kept seeing that hand with no fingers saying "here's what being in
a hurry looks like".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Larry,
I think we went to the same school. Old Court JHS? I don't want to
name the teacher on line but if you contact me off group I'll tell you.
Are you related to other Wassermans from Randallstown?
Marc

wrote:
I had a drafting (For some reason it was called "mechanical drawing")
class in Junior High. I'll always remember the teacher holding up
his right hand, which was missing most of the index and ring fingers,
and saying, "I used to be a wood shop teacher until this happened..."

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1 Sep 2006 19:52:43 -0700, "marc rosen" wrote:

wrote:
I had a drafting (For some reason it was called "mechanical drawing")
class in Junior High. I'll always remember the teacher holding up
his right hand, which was missing most of the index and ring fingers,
and saying, "I used to be a wood shop teacher until this happened..."

Hey Larry,
I think we went to the same school. Old Court JHS? I don't want to
name the teacher on line but if you contact me off group I'll tell you.
Are you related to other Wassermans from Randallstown?
Marc

Just curious, how was he able to teach drafting yet not be able to
continue to teach woodshop? ... or was it that he no longer wanted to have
anything to do with woodshop after the accident?

I ask because it seems that a significant amount of manual dexterity is
required for good mechanical drawing work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 21:03:34 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I had a drafting (For some reason it was called "mechanical drawing")
class in Junior High. I'll always remember the teacher holding up
his right hand, which was missing most of the index and ring fingers,
and saying, "I used to be a wood shop teacher until this happened..."

Just curious, how was he able to teach drafting yet not be able to
continue to teach woodshop? ... or was it that he no longer wanted to have
anything to do with woodshop after the accident?

I ask because it seems that a significant amount of manual dexterity is
required for good mechanical drawing work.

Try holding a pencil with it between your index and middle fingers and
hold between your thumb and middle finger instead of the index. I'll
bet you'll find it not very difficult to get used to. It gets a
little bit harder with the ring finger instead of the middle, but
again, you'd get used to it.

Interestingly, I've actually sometimes seen my penmanship improve by
holding the wrtiting implement in a little bit of an odd way. It
forces you to think more about what you're doing. I used to amuse
myself sometimes during school doing that sort of thing. Now a cut on
my index finger isn't an issue.

With drafting though you're pretty much always following some kind of
aid to make a straight line/arc/whatever so I can't really see it
being much of an issue.

Typing on the other hand (no pun intended), you're screwed.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

That's the one! I know you! I lived accross the street from you. Your
brother Larry is my age, in fact if I remember right, he is exactly
one day older. (I remember because of the draft lottery)

Small world, huh? How are you doing?

wrote:
I had a drafting (For some reason it was called "mechanical drawing")
class in Junior High. I'll always remember the teacher holding up
his right hand, which was missing most of the index and ring fingers,
and saying, "I used to be a wood shop teacher until this happened..."

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I had a drafting (For some reason it was called "mechanical drawing")
class in Junior High. I'll always remember the teacher holding up
his right hand, which was missing most of the index and ring fingers,
and saying, "I used to be a wood shop teacher until this happened..."

Hey Larry,
I think we went to the same school. Old Court JHS? I don't want to
name the teacher on line but if you contact me off group I'll tell you.
Are you related to other Wassermans from Randallstown?
Marc

Just curious, how was he able to teach drafting yet not be able to
continue to teach woodshop? ... or was it that he no longer wanted to have
anything to do with woodshop after the accident?

I ask because it seems that a significant amount of manual dexterity is
required for good mechanical drawing work.

...snipped...

He never explained that, but I really don't know any reason he
couldn't have continued to teach wood shop. He still had one hand
intact. Maybe he wanted to quit teaching wood shop while he still had
enough fingers left to switch to drafting!

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leuf wrote in
news
*snip*

Typing on the other hand (no pun intended), you're screwed.

-Leuf

There are one-hand keyboard layouts there, as well as typing with one
hand on QWERTY. It'll take some to learn, but you can do it one handed.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

When the school board gets the workman's comp. claims, the program will
be lucky to survive. The medical claims could be half a million easy.

He should have been fired when you noted the safety violations, schools
can no longer afford such luxuries with the massive lawsuits the
ambulance chasers will bring.

In the immediate budget should be a sawstop, period. Our poorest local
school district is buying two for their highschool program.

It would be hard to fathom that a grant cannot be found for schools to
purchase them.

Alan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2 Sep 2006 05:30:13 -0700, "arw01"
wrote:

When the school board gets the workman's comp. claims, the program will
be lucky to survive. The medical claims could be half a million easy.

He should have been fired when you noted the safety violations, schools
can no longer afford such luxuries with the massive lawsuits the
ambulance chasers will bring.

In the immediate budget should be a sawstop, period. Our poorest local
school district is buying two for their highschool program.

It would be hard to fathom that a grant cannot be found for schools to
purchase them.

Alan

Frankly, I would not want young kids learning on SS. I believe it
would result in a complacency that follows them to an accident later
on.

Instead, I would teach safety and procedure for use of the machine.
When operated properly a TS is *not* a dangerous piece of equipment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

Instead, I would teach safety and procedure for use of the machine.
When operated properly a TS is *not* a dangerous piece of equipment.

Sorry, don't agree at all with that statement in conjunction with people. No
matter how well you teach someone to use a tool, there are always going to
be those individuals that insist on doing it their own way. It's exactly the
same with driving a car. Put someone through the most rigorous driving
examination and testing procedures and you're still going to get some people
that are bad drivers. Seat belts, saw stops, whatever, additional safety
features are going to save body parts if not lives. That's not conjecture,
it's proven statistical fact.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't know about that. Personally, if I made a mistake on a SS machine
and nicked a finger or two, knowing that it could have been a more serious
injury would have the same impact on me as a crippling injury. In fact, I
think I would be less likely to quit working with wood.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 15:13:21 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

Instead, I would teach safety and procedure for use of the machine.
When operated properly a TS is *not* a dangerous piece of equipment.

Sorry, don't agree at all with that statement in conjunction with people. No
matter how well you teach someone to use a tool, there are always going to
be those individuals that insist on doing it their own way. It's exactly the
same with driving a car. Put someone through the most rigorous driving
examination and testing procedures and you're still going to get some people
that are bad drivers. Seat belts, saw stops, whatever, additional safety
features are going to save body parts if not lives. That's not conjecture,
it's proven statistical fact.

Your point may be correct but it does not address the issue of
teaching kids -at a very impressionable stage- on a piece of equip
that cannot hurt them. While certainly there is a safety benefit
provided as long as they are using the schools saw, dont you think
they will have a higher probability of injury when they move to the
real world?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
Frankly, I would not want young kids learning on SS. I believe it
would result in a complacency that follows them to an accident later
on.

Instead, I would teach safety and procedure for use of the machine.
When operated properly a TS is *not* a dangerous piece of equipment.

I have to agree. When I was teaching my kids to drive, I did not let them
wear seatbelts and I disabled the air bags. They also became dependent on
the power brakes, so I adjusted them so that they barely held when the
peddle was down to the floor. It did make them more cautious and kept them
from speeding.

My nephew is an electrician apprentice. They never turn the power off on
jobs he is doing. That forces him to use a meter and check to see what is
live and what is not and exercise care. A couple of zaps makes you think.
Complacency is such a bad thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

Instead, I would teach safety and procedure for use of the machine.
When operated properly a TS is *not* a dangerous piece of equipment.

Sorry, don't agree at all with that statement in conjunction with people.

No
matter how well you teach someone to use a tool, there are always going to
be those individuals that insist on doing it their own way. It's exactly

the
same with driving a car. Put someone through the most rigorous driving
examination and testing procedures and you're still going to get some

people
that are bad drivers. Seat belts, saw stops, whatever, additional safety
features are going to save body parts if not lives. That's not conjecture,
it's proven statistical fact.

.... and I agree with you. A table saw is an inherently dangerous piece of
equipment. If you don't believe that in your heart, you have no damn
business operating one.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

Your point may be correct but it does not address the issue of
teaching kids -at a very impressionable stage- on a piece of equip
that cannot hurt them. While certainly there is a safety benefit
provided as long as they are using the schools saw, dont you think
they will have a higher probability of injury when they move to the
real world?

Not really as I look at it. Anyway you want to look at it, it takes a pretty
big leap of faith to push a body part into a spinning saw blade, Sawstop or
not. It's just not something that one can get lazy about in my opinion. I
don't think anyone is going to get complacent with their fingers and I
certainly wouldn't get complacent using a Sawtop knowing there's less chance
of losing a finger. I can't comment on other people. Kickbacks and flying
pieces of wood are still a definite possibility on a Sawstop and that type
of incident are by far more common on any type of tablesaw than losing a
finger. It's not as if the Sawtop is suddenly going to prevent any type of
injury, just most of the more serious ones.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
[...]

Damn, get the Windex ... the monitor needs cleaning, again!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 14:06:55 -0400, Joe Bemier
wrote:

On 2 Sep 2006 05:30:13 -0700, "arw01"
wrote:

.... snip

In the immediate budget should be a sawstop, period. Our poorest local
school district is buying two for their highschool program.

It would be hard to fathom that a grant cannot be found for schools to
purchase them.

Alan

Frankly, I would not want young kids learning on SS. I believe it
would result in a complacency that follows them to an accident later
on.

Instead, I would teach safety and procedure for use of the machine.
When operated properly a TS is *not* a dangerous piece of equipment.

While what you say has merit, one could accomplish the same thing by
requiring that anyone causing the saw stop to fire is required to pay for
the new cartridges. At least, when I was growing up, that would have been
sufficient reason for caution.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Frankly, I would not want young kids learning on SS. I believe it
would result in a complacency that follows them to an accident later
on.

Instead, I would teach safety and procedure for use of the machine.
When operated properly a TS is *not* a dangerous piece of equipment.

While what you say has merit, one could accomplish the same thing by
requiring that anyone causing the saw stop to fire is required to pay for
the new cartridges. At least, when I was growing up, that would have been
sufficient reason for caution.

Or by painting the thing grey and not telling anyone in the class what
it really is.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Frankly, I would not want young kids learning on SS. I believe it
would result in a complacency that follows them to an accident later
on.

Instead, I would teach safety and procedure for use of the machine.
When operated properly a TS is *not* a dangerous piece of equipment.

While what you say has merit, one could accomplish the same thing by
requiring that anyone causing the saw stop to fire is required to pay for
the new cartridges. At least, when I was growing up, that would have been
sufficient reason for caution.

Or by painting the thing grey and not telling anyone in the class what
it really is.

-Leuf

That's an excellent idea!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in
:

Not really as I look at it. Anyway you want to look at it, it takes a
pretty big leap of faith to push a body part into a spinning saw
blade, Sawstop or not. It's just not something that one can get lazy
about in my opinion. I don't think anyone is going to get complacent
with their fingers and I certainly wouldn't get complacent using a
Sawtop knowing there's less chance of losing a finger. I can't comment
on other people. Kickbacks and flying pieces of wood are still a
definite possibility on a Sawstop and that type of incident are by far
more common on any type of tablesaw than losing a finger. It's not as
if the Sawtop is suddenly going to prevent any type of injury, just
most of the more serious ones.

I like to point out in discussions like this about technology and human
safety, just what the first rule of technology is: Technology fails.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

Reminds me of the guy they sent around every year to the grade schools who
lectured on never picking up blasting caps. He had almost no fingers. It
made an impression on me. I can still see his mangled hands today.

When I was a kid The San Francisco Giants star outfielder Willie Mays made a
public service announcement about not touching blasting caps. Now his
godson Barry Bonds has been involved in the steroid cheating scandal. My
how times have changed.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

When operated properly a TS is *not* a dangerous piece of equipment.

Sure it is. The danger is just minimized using proper procedure. All power
tools are dangerous and will try and bite you if they get a chance. This is
why we wear safety glasses.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message

I like to point out in discussions like this about technology and human
safety, just what the first rule of technology is: Technology fails.

Of course it does and probably fails more than we'd like to admit. Nothing
is ever going to replace proper training and good safety practices and
that's always going to be a basic starting point no matter how much
technology there is in operation to protect us. Assuming that technology is
all this is needed for safe operation is sheer lunacy. It's imparting the
knowledge that technology is only a small part of how to protect ourselves
that's important.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Push stick would not have helped keep it from jamming, but may have
saved his fngers. Those wide and short pieces are definitely deadly, but
he may have (almost certainly) gotten away with it had the piece not
been touching the fence and he was using a miter gauge as a sled of
sorts. Toss the darn blade guard in the trashcan where it belongs, it
has no place on any serious, no, make that: any table saw whatsoever .
They do NOT reduce kickback in any meaningful way, and in my huge,
professional shop, they are only there to satisfy state safety
inspectors, who, like teachers, are not professional woodworkers. Said
guards are purposely constructed so as to be easily and positively slid
aside and kept as far from the blade as possible. I cannot even
comprehend anymore why anybody would have any trust at all in these
niusance devices.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Setting the blade "just high enough" has also tossed untold numbers of
boards back at the operator, especially when the stupid guard was in
place to hide the wood/blade contact interface

Posted to rec.woodworking

This will be the first thread that I use my new system on. In the past
I would continue to post and post follow-ups until I seemingly had the
last word....i.e., continue to try to convince others of my point of
view.
No more. Above are my opinions and I will drop off this thread from
here. I've made my point(s), and some agree, some don't - end of
thread for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Sam Sam is offline

Lee Michaels wrote:
I thought that all high school teachers were safety fanatics. Apparently
not.

I have been at the local high school and watched a 8x24x6" deep drawer
being thinned down to 4" deep on the 12" Powermatic tablesaw. The
teacher was in front of the blade holding the drawer on end as he
pushed it through. There was a student on the left side, reaching over
to help stabilise the drawer and another on the back side of the saw
doing the same. Six hands on the drawer, no safety glasses, no guards,
no pushsticks. There was an 8" jointer with the guard removed (broken)
and the metal fence for the bandsaw laying on the table ,across the
cutterhead. The shaper had a 3"wing cutter mounted on the spindle, no
guards and the table covered with paint cans. Kids wearing hooded
sweatshirts with the pull strings dangling down using the 6" belt
sander. Many more things just too numerous to detail. 100%
incompetence, but the bumper sticker mentality prevails, "We don't care
how you do it up North". Sam

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RM MS" wrote in message
Setting the blade "just high enough" has also tossed untold numbers of
boards back at the operator, especially when the stupid guard was in
place to hide the wood/blade contact interface

Sure boards can kick back, that is why you don't stand directly behind the
blade. If I had not set the blade just high enough I would be missing the
tip of my thumb and one finger tip instead of a band-aid and a scar.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

Posted to rec.woodworking

10x wrote in
:

*snip*

The only safety rule that I ever knowingly violate was the saw guard.
I never found one that didn't cause as many problems as it prevented.
Maybe that's changed today.

Joe

I never had any problems with the blade guard at my high school. For me,
it did everything it was supposed to. Of course, I never ran dados (the
dado cutter was set up on a radial arm saw) or anything more than basic
straight cuts.

On my Crapsman saw, the blade guard is gone. If I never see it again,
I'll not shed a tear. It got in the way and pinched the board against
the blade. I'll take my chances with an exposed blade over the
possibility of kickback on EVERY cut.

Speaking of table saw safety, push sticks are an excellent 10 minute
project. I made mine from a 1"x2" with routered edges (it was originally
a router test piece) and simply cut a 90 degree angle in one end with a
miter box.

Puckdropper

careful with bulbs! SeaKan Home Repair 4 December 23rd 05 09:27 PM
Careful when you "putter around" your yard! (Snakes nearly kill man) Dave T. Home Ownership 1 July 17th 05 02:42 PM
Another reason to be careful LRod Woodworking 6 April 14th 05 01:41 AM
Chainsaw Safety. Let's Be Careful Out There! Barry N. Turner Woodturning 19 January 11th 05 06:44 PM
Be careful when dealing with Machine Manual Services Kory Hamzeh Metalworking 8 November 15th 03 04:21 PM