Posted to alt.home.repair
SeaKan

Default careful with bulbs!

i have a light in my stairwell. this one is built into the wall. anyway,
the light bulb burnt out not too long ago and we replaced it with a 60 watt
bulb. probably was maxed at a 40. i know this b/c the heat broke the glass
"window" there. so, be careful if you have the same thing I have!

MT

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i have a light in my stairwell. this one is built into the wall. anyway,
the light bulb burnt out not too long ago and we replaced it with a 60 watt
bulb. probably was maxed at a 40. i know this b/c the heat broke the
glass "window" there. so, be careful if you have the same thing I have!

MT

All lamps are required to have a sticker with the maximum wattage on the
inside. Not sure when they started but it has been quite a while.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SeaKan

yeah, but this is the orignal lamp, and it is recessed. ah well. gotta
find some plexiglass now. any ideas?

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i have a light in my stairwell. this one is built into the wall. anyway,
the light bulb burnt out not too long ago and we replaced it with a 60
watt bulb. probably was maxed at a 40. i know this b/c the heat broke
the glass "window" there. so, be careful if you have the same thing I
have!

MT

All lamps are required to have a sticker with the maximum wattage on the
inside. Not sure when they started but it has been quite a while.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MG

Plexiglas may be a bad idea. If 60W= 1.5 x Rating caused the glass to crack
then even a rated 40W will melt the Plexiglas.
MG

"SeaKan" wrote in message
yeah, but this is the orignal lamp, and it is recessed. ah well. gotta
find some plexiglass now. any ideas?

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...

"SeaKan" wrote in message
i have a light in my stairwell. this one is built into the wall.
anyway, the light bulb burnt out not too long ago and we replaced it with
a 60 watt bulb. probably was maxed at a 40. i know this b/c the heat
broke the glass "window" there. so, be careful if you have the same
thing I have!

MT

All lamps are required to have a sticker with the maximum wattage on the
inside. Not sure when they started but it has been quite a while.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RickR

Try using a compact fluorescent lamp. Those little spiral screw in
jobs.
Almost no heat to worry about and electrical savings.

RickR

PS: I doubt it was the lamp anyway....