Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default Be careful out there!

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

Your point may be correct but it does not address the issue of
teaching kids -at a very impressionable stage- on a piece of equip
that cannot hurt them. While certainly there is a safety benefit
provided as long as they are using the schools saw, dont you think
they will have a higher probability of injury when they move to the
real world?

Not really as I look at it. Anyway you want to look at it, it takes a pretty
big leap of faith to push a body part into a spinning saw blade, Sawstop or
not. It's just not something that one can get lazy about in my opinion. I
don't think anyone is going to get complacent with their fingers and I
certainly wouldn't get complacent using a Sawtop knowing there's less chance
of losing a finger. I can't comment on other people. Kickbacks and flying
pieces of wood are still a definite possibility on a Sawstop and that type
of incident are by far more common on any type of tablesaw than losing a
finger. It's not as if the Sawtop is suddenly going to prevent any type of
injury, just most of the more serious ones.