Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default Be careful out there!

10x wrote in
:

*snip*

The only safety rule that I ever knowingly violate was the saw guard.
I never found one that didn't cause as many problems as it prevented.
Maybe that's changed today.

Joe

I never had any problems with the blade guard at my high school. For me,
it did everything it was supposed to. Of course, I never ran dados (the
dado cutter was set up on a radial arm saw) or anything more than basic
straight cuts.

On my Crapsman saw, the blade guard is gone. If I never see it again,
I'll not shed a tear. It got in the way and pinched the board against
the blade. I'll take my chances with an exposed blade over the
possibility of kickback on EVERY cut.

Speaking of table saw safety, push sticks are an excellent 10 minute
project. I made mine from a 1"x2" with routered edges (it was originally
a router test piece) and simply cut a 90 degree angle in one end with a
miter box.

Puckdropper