Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default Be careful out there!

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 21:03:34 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I had a drafting (For some reason it was called "mechanical drawing")
class in Junior High. I'll always remember the teacher holding up
his right hand, which was missing most of the index and ring fingers,
and saying, "I used to be a wood shop teacher until this happened..."

Just curious, how was he able to teach drafting yet not be able to
continue to teach woodshop? ... or was it that he no longer wanted to have
anything to do with woodshop after the accident?

I ask because it seems that a significant amount of manual dexterity is
required for good mechanical drawing work.

Try holding a pencil with it between your index and middle fingers and
hold between your thumb and middle finger instead of the index. I'll
bet you'll find it not very difficult to get used to. It gets a
little bit harder with the ring finger instead of the middle, but
again, you'd get used to it.

Interestingly, I've actually sometimes seen my penmanship improve by
holding the wrtiting implement in a little bit of an odd way. It
forces you to think more about what you're doing. I used to amuse
myself sometimes during school doing that sort of thing. Now a cut on
my index finger isn't an issue.

With drafting though you're pretty much always following some kind of
aid to make a straight line/arc/whatever so I can't really see it
being much of an issue.

Typing on the other hand (no pun intended), you're screwed.

-Leuf