Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Be careful out there!

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
Frankly, I would not want young kids learning on SS. I believe it
would result in a complacency that follows them to an accident later
on.

Instead, I would teach safety and procedure for use of the machine.
When operated properly a TS is *not* a dangerous piece of equipment.

I have to agree. When I was teaching my kids to drive, I did not let them
wear seatbelts and I disabled the air bags. They also became dependent on
the power brakes, so I adjusted them so that they barely held when the
peddle was down to the floor. It did make them more cautious and kept them
from speeding.

My nephew is an electrician apprentice. They never turn the power off on
jobs he is doing. That forces him to use a meter and check to see what is
live and what is not and exercise care. A couple of zaps makes you think.
Complacency is such a bad thing.