Default New DIY show

Caught a new show on DIY - "Freeform Woodworking". Hosted by a
young gal and boy does she have the the TOOLS! A huge disk
sander, a Delta TS, Jet 16" bandsaw (could be 18"), drill
press, Festo circ saw, sander, guides, a metal cutting
bandsaw - also Jet - and a sandblaster!

She was making a CD holder. I thought I'd be interested in
it, but she started to use stuff I'd never own and to
be honest, I didn't like the finished results.

Anyone catch it? What do you think?

Here's a link:

http://diynet.com/diy/shows_dfff/0,2..._23296,00.html

MJ Wallace

Ooops - it's Freeform Furniture - not Freeform Woodworking,

sorry!

MJ

Mike Pio

wrote in message
oups.com...
Caught a new show on DIY - "Freeform Woodworking". Hosted by a
young gal and boy does she have the the TOOLS! A huge disk
sander, a Delta TS, Jet 16" bandsaw (could be 18"), drill
press, Festo circ saw, sander, guides, a metal cutting
bandsaw - also Jet - and a sandblaster!

She was making a CD holder. I thought I'd be interested in
it, but she started to use stuff I'd never own and to
be honest, I didn't like the finished results.

Anyone catch it? What do you think?

Here's a link:

http://diynet.com/diy/shows_dfff/0,2..._23296,00.html

MJ Wallace

I happened to catch that episode last night as well. I agree, she has some
nice tools, but I wasn't nuts about how she assembled that particular
project. How about you?

I do like the contemporary flair she seems to have (which is a refreshing
change from some of the other legacy shows out there). I'll be giving this
show a chance...

-m

I looked ahead in the showguide on the website. Perhaps
the other projects will be more interesting. She has appeared
on other DIY shows - I think she was one of the lead
carpenters/furnituremakers for one of the makeover shows.

I was with her until she did the brackets. I think something else
would have been better then aluminium. Perhaps stainless?

I'll stay tuned and see what happens. With Norm pretty much
gone from HGTV and DIY and Dave Marks in re-runs, she's
about it for now? Wondering if they are pitching this show
more towards women?

MJ Wallace

George

wrote in message
oups.com...

I'll stay tuned and see what happens. With Norm pretty much
gone from HGTV and DIY and Dave Marks in re-runs, she's
about it for now? Wondering if they are pitching this show
more towards women?

More like Political correctness. Women in "non-traditional" occupations.
Sort of like why most of the talking head professors on History channel
show yesterday were female.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:22:03 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

I'll stay tuned and see what happens. With Norm pretty much
gone from HGTV and DIY and Dave Marks in re-runs, she's
about it for now? Wondering if they are pitching this show
more towards women?

More like Political correctness. Women in "non-traditional" occupations.
Sort of like why most of the talking head professors on History channel
show yesterday were female.

there may be some of that. but there is also a genuine loosening up of
the rigor mortis of gender roles. I think it's a good thing.

I see no inherent reason that one gender would produce superior
woodworkers than the other.

I agree with the sentiment about gender roles. The only thing I
was questioning was this show being pitched to women?

DIY seems to have a male/female sense of shows. Lots
of jewelery making, scrapbook making, then on the other
hand - rebuilding classic cars, RC Hobbies and the best
show, in there lineup - Warehouse Warriers - tho
they haven't seem to have filmed any new shows in
quite sometime.

This new show seems to be short on techniques and more
on "let's just get this done".

So.. I'm all for women furniture makers, tho I'd like
see more of the kind that are featured in Fine Woodworking
or Woodworks magazine.

MJ Wallace

Mike Pio

wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:22:03 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

I'll stay tuned and see what happens. With Norm pretty much
gone from HGTV and DIY and Dave Marks in re-runs, she's
about it for now? Wondering if they are pitching this show
more towards women?

More like Political correctness. Women in "non-traditional" occupations.
Sort of like why most of the talking head professors on History channel
show yesterday were female.

there may be some of that. but there is also a genuine loosening up of
the rigor mortis of gender roles. I think it's a good thing.

I see no inherent reason that one gender would produce superior
woodworkers than the other.

I agree...I would have made my same comments had the host been male. Gender
of the craftsperson makes no difference to me. If you're good, you're good.

-m

George

"Mike Pio" wrote in message
I see no inherent reason that one gender would produce superior
woodworkers than the other.

I agree...I would have made my same comments had the host been male.
Gender of the craftsperson makes no difference to me. If you're good,
you're good.

Sorry, guess "the movement" has made a lot of weenies out of formerly
thinking men.

These are paid actors. Dollars to dogturds they have nothing in their
background in the way of tool sense. They were chosen because of their
gender, not in spite of it.

Wonderful book called _The Language Police_ explains how it's done in
textbooks. Too obvious in advertising to even bear mention.

Swingman

"George" wrote in message

They were chosen because of their
gender, not in spite of it.

Actually, it's generally much more specific than that. Anatomical features
play a big part ... the bigger (the parts), the better.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/16/05

George wrote:
These are paid actors. Dollars to dogturds they have nothing in their
background in the way of tool sense. They were chosen because of their
gender, not in spite of it.

I haven't seen the show, but, from her website (www.amydevers.com) -
sorry, no direct link because it's needlessly Flash-heavy:

She..obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree with an emphasis in furniture
design from San Diego State Univeristy, and has completed her Master of
Fine Arts degree in the field of funiture design at the Rhode Island
School of Design.

A fine artist as well as designer, she has exhibited internationally
in galleries and museums.

In addition to her artwork, she is currently operating a freelance
design/build studio on Los Angeles and...is also preparing to launch
her own modern furniture design show on [DIY].

She may not have much in the way of tool sense - and may be much too
"artsy" for most of us here, choosing design flair over solid
construction. Without having seen her work at all, she may be one of
those "wood artist" type people who are in fact wholly unconcerned
about construction details and are perfectly happy putting
L-angle-brackets on the backsides of everything if it meets their
design from the front. Or, she may not be, I can't tell from her
website.

Presumably her gender (and looks) has had something to do with her
being on TV. But I wouldn't say it's fair to characterize her as a
wholly affirmitive action hire who has no knowledge of wood or tools
outside of television. Further, it looks like her specialty is in
furniture design (heck, she has a BA and Masters in it, so she's spent
a lot more time thinking about it than I have), and, from the show
description it looks like the point of it is the *design* of furniture,
not the *construction* of furniture.

Anyway, I haven't seen the show, and it may or may not be any good (and
may or may not be the sort of thing you or I would like). But it does
seem like she has qualifications quite beyond "actress."

-BAT

On 18 Oct 2005 07:19:07 -0700, wrote:

George wrote:
[...]

none of that matters. BAT, the fact that you would even consider
defending her is proof (according to george) that your dick is too
small.
George

wrote in message

none of that matters. BAT, the fact that you would even consider
defending her is proof (according to george) that your dick is too
small.

Still uneasy in locker rooms, are we? It's a law, you know, that if there
are two men in a locker room, their lockers will be side by side.

Sounds to me as if they found someone with a good background to do the
peripatetic Vila routine, remains to be seen if the producers searched out
someone who was a woman and schooled, or someone who was schooled and a
woman. Or if they made their choice because they wanted a particular
demographic, or because they wanted a particular design emphasis.

Until I see her swing a hammer, I'll continue to believe that she was chosen
more for gender than appeal to an audience which is predominantly male, even
if some of those males go out of their way to tell us how unbiased they are.

I still remember early Jo-Ann on Hometime. Sure couldn't swing a hammer.
Speaking of which, what do you think of the new distaff member?

Sounds to me as if they found someone with a good background to do the
peripatetic Vila routine,

remember, 90% of everything is crap. in the case of television, that
is probably closer to 99.9%.

remains to be seen if the producers searched out
someone who was a woman and schooled, or someone who was schooled and a
woman. Or if they made their choice because they wanted a particular
demographic, or because they wanted a particular design emphasis.

or if her uncle happens to be a television executive.

Until I see her swing a hammer, I'll continue to believe that she was chosen
more for gender than appeal to an audience which is predominantly male, even
if some of those males go out of their way to tell us how unbiased they are.

hammer swinging is a requirement for furniture design?

George:

I still remember early Jo-Ann on Hometime. Sure couldn't swing a hammer.
Speaking of which, what do you think of the new distaff member?

I'd assume you mean Miriam? She's young, can talk clearly, interested
in what's going on (or so it seems). She's no Robin or Jojo, but the
show has shifted. Use to be that Dean had a "TV" wife (Jojo, Robin)
and the two of them would do the renovation. I always thought that
Hometime was the more "authentic" show over TOH after TOH went
for more major remodeling and Dean and whoever did a lot more
work then Steve and/or Norm. Now Hometime is doing this style
of show where they interview the homeowner during the process.
Kinda not interesting at all. Less is shown of the actual
process and more highlighting of specific products. Oh, and
about 3 years ago, it seems that HomeDepot became a major
underwriter because the show hosts spend a LOT of time in
the stores!

MJ Wallace

Upscale

wrote in message

Presumably her gender (and looks) has had something to do with her
being on TV.

That certainly explains how Nahrm got his show...

What? You don't think Norm is kinda cut with his beard and suspenders on his
pants?

Mike Pio

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Mike Pio" wrote in message
I see no inherent reason that one gender would produce superior
woodworkers than the other.

I agree...I would have made my same comments had the host been male.
Gender of the craftsperson makes no difference to me. If you're good,
you're good.

Sorry, guess "the movement" has made a lot of weenies out of formerly
thinking men.

I'm not sure I like the implication I'm reading. Whatever "movement" you're
referring to means nothing to me, and I'm not suggesting she's good or not.
I'm only saying that IF she is, I couldn't care less who or what she is.

These are paid actors. Dollars to dogturds they have nothing in their
background in the way of tool sense. They were chosen because of their
gender, not in spite of it.

I'm trying not to be judgemental. Why does anybody give a hoot if the host
is male or female?

Wonderful book called _The Language Police_ explains how it's done in
textbooks. Too obvious in advertising to even bear mention.

Upscale

"Mike Pio" wrote in message

I'm trying not to be judgemental. Why does anybody give a hoot if the

host
is male or female?

There's a number of reasons why it makes a big difference, all depending on
the target market. That's an aside from the proven fact that attractive
people are more popular (whatever education she has). Only thing that will
cement her position though will be sufficient demonstration of craft skills.

Mike Pio

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Mike Pio" wrote in message

I'm trying not to be judgemental. Why does anybody give a hoot if the

host
is male or female?

There's a number of reasons why it makes a big difference, all depending
on
the target market. That's an aside from the proven fact that attractive
people are more popular (whatever education she has). Only thing that will
cement her position though will be sufficient demonstration of craft
skills.

OK, can you name some reasons? I'm not being sarcastic, but I do fail to
see why this is even an issue.

Upscale

"Mike Pio" wrote in message

There's a number of reasons why it makes a big difference, all depending

OK, can you name some reasons? I'm not being sarcastic, but I do fail to
see why this is even an issue.

I'm kind of surprised you're asking this question, but anyway, here's my
thoughts on it.

1) Guys will watch (in the beginning), naturally because of sexual interest.
(Some girls too)
2) They will also watch to see if she has any real woodworking skills.
(which would make her even more attractive) Let's not talk about the
chauvinists who think a woman has only a few purposes.
3) Women will watch because it empowers them to be independent and just as
capable. If not, then at the very least women will watch because it pleases
them to see a woman do something just as well as a man, if not better,
especially in an area that so far is mostly a man's domain.
4) A woman is generally less intimidating if you're learning or thinking of
learning how to do something.
5) There's the uniqueness of a woman doing skilled woodworking. More woman
are getting into it, but there's a long way to go before they even start to
approach this "male" domain.

Of course, there's downsides to using a woman. If she's not as skilled as
people hope, she will lose credibility faster than any man. Or some male
egos will kicks in and say that there's no way a woman can be as capable.
But, I regress....

Those are just some of my thoughts as to why I think it makes a difference.
I'm sure you get the idea. If I had my preference, I'd rather be looking at
a good looking woman all day, than some man doing the same thing, but that
preference would is easily outweighed by my wanting that person to be
skilled in what they're doing and able to hold my attention with presence,
presentation and being able to teach me something that I can apply in the
real world.

George

"Upscale" wrote in message
If I had my preference, I'd rather be looking at
a good looking woman all day, than some man doing the same thing, but that
preference would is easily outweighed by my wanting that person to be
skilled in what they're doing and able to hold my attention with presence,
presentation and being able to teach me something that I can apply in the
real world.

What really counts is what females think of "their" males watching another
female. Even if the other were a skilled practitioner, she would still be
viewed as a potential competitor. Why I think the show was set up for
female viewing. Including a male as a regular might broaden the
demographic.

When I was given a desk to fly, I also had a number of females to work with.
Had little problem with the male/female interaction on the job, but quite a
bit with wives not trusting their husbands.

Upscale

"George" George@least wrote in message

When I was given a desk to fly, I also had a number of females to work

with.
Had little problem with the male/female interaction on the job, but quite

bit with wives not trusting their husbands.

Isn't that a hereditary trait?

Mike Pio

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Mike Pio" wrote in message

There's a number of reasons why it makes a big difference, all
depending

OK, can you name some reasons? I'm not being sarcastic, but I do fail to
see why this is even an issue.

I'm kind of surprised you're asking this question, but anyway, here's my
thoughts on it.

I see why you might be surprised, but when I watched the show, I wasn't
paying attention to the host, I was paying attention to the shop, the
project and the host's skills as a woodworker. To be honest, I can barely
even remember what she looks like. The reasons you state below all have to
do with ratings and a network's choice of a host to attract viewers. I
looked at the program as a new woodworking show -- nothing more. What I'm
surprised about is why anyone is reading into it more than what I've stated
here. If one is interested in watching a pretty woman, there are many
better shows to watch than a DIY program, wouldn't you agree?

To this end, I've been watching that New Yankee for many years now. Despite
the fact that I (and many women too -- including my wife) think he's got a
VERY long way to go in the looks department, I never once considered his
physical attributes to be any factor in my watching the show.

So I would submit that anyone who cares about the fact that this new host is
a woman must have more interests than simply the content of the program.
What do you think?

[...]

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:05:52 -0700, "Mike Pio"
wrote:

I see why you might be surprised, but when I watched the show, I wasn't
paying attention to the host, I was paying attention to the shop, the
project and the host's skills as a woodworker. To be honest, I can barely
even remember what she looks like. The reasons you state below all have to
do with ratings and a network's choice of a host to attract viewers. I
looked at the program as a new woodworking show -- nothing more. What I'm
surprised about is why anyone is reading into it more than what I've stated
here. If one is interested in watching a pretty woman, there are many
better shows to watch than a DIY program, wouldn't you agree?

who need TV? you're already on usenet- if you want to watch bouncing
female parts, point your newsreader on over to the
alt.binaries.multimedia.erotica.** heierarchy.

hey, anybody think alt.binaries.multimedia.woodworking is a good idea?
maybe rec.woodworking.multimedia would be better- keep them together
in the list...

Upscale

"Mike Pio" wrote in message
here. If one is interested in watching a pretty woman, there are many
better shows to watch than a DIY program, wouldn't you agree?

No, not if one want's to combine it with a passion such as woodworking. We
are all sexual beings. It's hardwired into us. Sexual attraction is always
in the background whether it's expressed or not. If you're really into
woodworking, what could be more attractive than a mate who is into it (and
you) just as much as you are. That's the desire, the fantasy.

So I would submit that anyone who cares about the fact that this new host

is
a woman must have more interests than simply the content of the program.
What do you think?

Of course. Those interests can just as easily be subconscious desires as
conscious ones. It's built into us as a species.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:05:52 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Mike Pio" quickly quoth:

I see why you might be surprised, but when I watched the show, I wasn't
paying attention to the host, I was paying attention to the shop, the
project and the host's skills as a woodworker.

AFTER I got over how cute she was, I started noticing all those other
things and was quite impressed. She has a really nice shop, good
tools, and is comfortable with most of her power tools. She's more at
home in front of the camera than David Marks, but other than the weird
patio furniture she made on the one show I've watched so far, I don't
yet know what she's capable of. I may watch a few of the episodes in
the near future.

To be honest, I can barely
even remember what she looks like.

Ah, you must be well married.

The reasons you state below all have to
do with ratings and a network's choice of a host to attract viewers. I
looked at the program as a new woodworking show -- nothing more. What I'm
surprised about is why anyone is reading into it more than what I've stated
here. If one is interested in watching a pretty woman, there are many
better shows to watch than a DIY program, wouldn't you agree?

Quite true.

So I would submit that anyone who cares about the fact that this new host is
a woman must have more interests than simply the content of the program.
What do you think?

Guilty as charged. domg

--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.
----------------------------------
Upscale

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
AFTER I got over how cute she was, I started noticing all those other
things and was quite impressed. She has a really nice shop, good
tools, and is comfortable with most of her power tools. She's more at
home in front of the camera than David Marks, but other than the weird
patio furniture she made on the one show I've watched so far, I don't
yet know what she's capable of. I may watch a few of the episodes in
the near future.

I haven't seen the show (yet), but my question too, would be if she's
capable or just has marginal skills. The true test comes when one has to
find a way to build something when the proper tool(s) are not on hand.

Dave

"Upscale" wrote in message
.. .
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
AFTER I got over how cute she was, I started noticing all those other
things and was quite impressed. She has a really nice shop, good
tools, and is comfortable with most of her power tools. She's more at
home in front of the camera than David Marks, but other than the weird
patio furniture she made on the one show I've watched so far, I don't
yet know what she's capable of. I may watch a few of the episodes in
the near future.

I haven't seen the show (yet), but my question too, would be if she's
capable or just has marginal skills. The true test comes when one has to
find a way to build something when the proper tool(s) are not on hand.

I watched her show yesterday too. She really has a nice set of implants.

Dave

DIY @ 11:30 or 12 central time I can't remember which.

"TINY" wrote in message
When is the show on
"Dave" wrote in message
> [...]

"Upscale" wrote in message
.. .
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
AFTER I got over how cute she was, I started noticing all those other
things and was quite impressed. She has a really nice shop, good
tools, and is comfortable with most of her power tools. She's more at
home in front of the camera than David Marks, but other than the

weird
patio furniture she made on the one show I've watched so far, I don't
yet know what she's capable of. I may watch a few of the episodes in
the near future.

I haven't seen the show (yet), but my question too, would be if she's
capable or just has marginal skills. The true test comes when one has

find a way to build something when the proper tool(s) are not on hand.

I watched her show yesterday too. She really has a nice set of implants.

George Shouse

Right David Marks Saturday show here - 10:30 CST

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:58:16 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

DIY @ 11:30 or 12 central time I can't remember which.

"TINY" wrote in message
When is the show on
"Dave" wrote in message
> [...]

"Upscale" wrote in message
.. .
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
AFTER I got over how cute she was, I started noticing all those other
things and was quite impressed. She has a really nice shop, good
tools, and is comfortable with most of her power tools. She's more at
home in front of the camera than David Marks, but other than the

weird
patio furniture she made on the one show I've watched so far, I don't
yet know what she's capable of. I may watch a few of the episodes in
the near future.

I haven't seen the show (yet), but my question too, would be if she's
capable or just has marginal skills. The true test comes when one has

find a way to build something when the proper tool(s) are not on hand.

I watched her show yesterday too. She really has a nice set of implants.

George Shouse

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:47:04 -0500, George Shouse
wrote:

Right David Marks Saturday show here - 10:30 CST

^ after

wrote:

DIY @ 11:30 or 12 central time I can't remember which.

"TINY" wrote in message
When is the show on
"Dave" wrote in message
> [...]

"Upscale" wrote in message
.. .
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
AFTER I got over how cute she was, I started noticing all those other
things and was quite impressed. She has a really nice shop, good
tools, and is comfortable with most of her power tools. She's more at
home in front of the camera than David Marks, but other than the

weird
patio furniture she made on the one show I've watched so far, I don't
yet know what she's capable of. I may watch a few of the episodes in
the near future.

I haven't seen the show (yet), but my question too, would be if she's
capable or just has marginal skills. The true test comes when one has

find a way to build something when the proper tool(s) are not on hand.

I watched her show yesterday too. She really has a nice set of implants.

David

Dave wrote:
"Upscale" wrote in message
.. .

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

AFTER I got over how cute she was, I started noticing all those other
things and was quite impressed. She has a really nice shop, good
tools, and is comfortable with most of her power tools. She's more at
home in front of the camera than David Marks, but other than the weird
patio furniture she made on the one show I've watched so far, I don't
yet know what she's capable of. I may watch a few of the episodes in
the near future.

I haven't seen the show (yet), but my question too, would be if she's
capable or just has marginal skills. The true test comes when one has to
find a way to build something when the proper tool(s) are not on hand.

I watched her show yesterday too. She really has a nice set of implants.

are you talking about Amy Devers?

Dave
davide1209

----and, from the show
description it looks like the point of it is the *design* of furniture,

not the *construction* of furniture. ----

As someone who enjoy's designing my own projects instead of using
preprinted plans I have come to learn that you can't disregard or
diminish the importance of construction materials and methods during
the design process.

On 25 Oct 2005 10:49:40 -0700, "davide1209"
wrote:

----and, from the show
description it looks like the point of it is the *design* of furniture,

not the *construction* of furniture. ----

As someone who enjoy's designing my own projects instead of using
preprinted plans I have come to learn that you can't disregard or
diminish the importance of construction materials and methods during
the design process.

of course, ultimately they go together. time was when furniture was
designed by craftsmen and architects _were_ builders. modern society
is more specialized, for better or worse.

most of us are stronger in one area than the other, and approach what
we do from that perspective. there are things to be learned
everywhere. it's interesting and useful to have teachers who tend
strongly in one direction or the other, either towards or away from
our own tendency.

add to that the pressure on television producers to take things to
extremes to give their shows an identifying character, and you get
things like the instant makeover shows, where you just know that when
the cameras are gone the owner will have to gut the place and spend a
bunch of money to make it useable again.

but there is plenty of room for a woodworking show with an emphasis on
design. that is, assuming that the designs are any good....

and hey, there's plenty of room for woodworking shows with female
hosts. the parameters determining whether or not the show survive will
be different from those for a show with a male host, but that's TV for
you... and human nature, I guess.

I for one wish her luck.
GrayFox

In article .com,
"davide1209" wrote:

----and, from the show
description it looks like the point of it is the *design* of furniture,

not the *construction* of furniture. ----

As someone who enjoy's designing my own projects instead of using
preprinted plans I have come to learn that you can't disregard or
diminish the importance of construction materials and methods during
the design process.

What is the name of the show?