Default New DIY show

George wrote:
These are paid actors. Dollars to dogturds they have nothing in their
background in the way of tool sense. They were chosen because of their
gender, not in spite of it.

I haven't seen the show, but, from her website (www.amydevers.com) -
sorry, no direct link because it's needlessly Flash-heavy:

She..obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree with an emphasis in furniture
design from San Diego State Univeristy, and has completed her Master of
Fine Arts degree in the field of funiture design at the Rhode Island
School of Design.

A fine artist as well as designer, she has exhibited internationally
in galleries and museums.

In addition to her artwork, she is currently operating a freelance
design/build studio on Los Angeles and...is also preparing to launch
her own modern furniture design show on [DIY].

She may not have much in the way of tool sense - and may be much too
"artsy" for most of us here, choosing design flair over solid
construction. Without having seen her work at all, she may be one of
those "wood artist" type people who are in fact wholly unconcerned
about construction details and are perfectly happy putting
L-angle-brackets on the backsides of everything if it meets their
design from the front. Or, she may not be, I can't tell from her
website.

Presumably her gender (and looks) has had something to do with her
being on TV. But I wouldn't say it's fair to characterize her as a
wholly affirmitive action hire who has no knowledge of wood or tools
outside of television. Further, it looks like her specialty is in
furniture design (heck, she has a BA and Masters in it, so she's spent
a lot more time thinking about it than I have), and, from the show
description it looks like the point of it is the *design* of furniture,
not the *construction* of furniture.

Anyway, I haven't seen the show, and it may or may not be any good (and
may or may not be the sort of thing you or I would like). But it does
seem like she has qualifications quite beyond "actress."

-BAT