Default New DIY show

Caught a new show on DIY - "Freeform Woodworking". Hosted by a
young gal and boy does she have the the TOOLS! A huge disk
sander, a Delta TS, Jet 16" bandsaw (could be 18"), drill
press, Festo circ saw, sander, guides, a metal cutting
bandsaw - also Jet - and a sandblaster!

She was making a CD holder. I thought I'd be interested in
it, but she started to use stuff I'd never own and to
be honest, I didn't like the finished results.

Anyone catch it? What do you think?

Here's a link:

http://diynet.com/diy/shows_dfff/0,2..._23296,00.html

MJ Wallace

Ooops - it's Freeform Furniture - not Freeform Woodworking,

sorry!

MJ

Mike Pio

wrote in message
oups.com...
Caught a new show on DIY - "Freeform Woodworking". Hosted by a
young gal and boy does she have the the TOOLS! A huge disk
sander, a Delta TS, Jet 16" bandsaw (could be 18"), drill
press, Festo circ saw, sander, guides, a metal cutting
bandsaw - also Jet - and a sandblaster!

She was making a CD holder. I thought I'd be interested in
it, but she started to use stuff I'd never own and to
be honest, I didn't like the finished results.

Anyone catch it? What do you think?

Here's a link:

http://diynet.com/diy/shows_dfff/0,2..._23296,00.html

MJ Wallace

I happened to catch that episode last night as well. I agree, she has some
nice tools, but I wasn't nuts about how she assembled that particular
project. How about you?

I do like the contemporary flair she seems to have (which is a refreshing
change from some of the other legacy shows out there). I'll be giving this
show a chance...

-m

I looked ahead in the showguide on the website. Perhaps
the other projects will be more interesting. She has appeared
on other DIY shows - I think she was one of the lead
carpenters/furnituremakers for one of the makeover shows.

I was with her until she did the brackets. I think something else
would have been better then aluminium. Perhaps stainless?

I'll stay tuned and see what happens. With Norm pretty much
gone from HGTV and DIY and Dave Marks in re-runs, she's
about it for now? Wondering if they are pitching this show
more towards women?

MJ Wallace

George

wrote in message
oups.com...

I'll stay tuned and see what happens. With Norm pretty much
gone from HGTV and DIY and Dave Marks in re-runs, she's
about it for now? Wondering if they are pitching this show
more towards women?

More like Political correctness. Women in "non-traditional" occupations.
Sort of like why most of the talking head professors on History channel
show yesterday were female.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:22:03 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

I'll stay tuned and see what happens. With Norm pretty much
gone from HGTV and DIY and Dave Marks in re-runs, she's
about it for now? Wondering if they are pitching this show
more towards women?

More like Political correctness. Women in "non-traditional" occupations.
Sort of like why most of the talking head professors on History channel
show yesterday were female.

there may be some of that. but there is also a genuine loosening up of
the rigor mortis of gender roles. I think it's a good thing.

I see no inherent reason that one gender would produce superior
woodworkers than the other.

I agree with the sentiment about gender roles. The only thing I
was questioning was this show being pitched to women?

DIY seems to have a male/female sense of shows. Lots
of jewelery making, scrapbook making, then on the other
hand - rebuilding classic cars, RC Hobbies and the best
show, in there lineup - Warehouse Warriers - tho
they haven't seem to have filmed any new shows in
quite sometime.

This new show seems to be short on techniques and more
on "let's just get this done".

So.. I'm all for women furniture makers, tho I'd like
see more of the kind that are featured in Fine Woodworking
or Woodworks magazine.

MJ Wallace

Mike Pio

wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:22:03 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

I'll stay tuned and see what happens. With Norm pretty much
gone from HGTV and DIY and Dave Marks in re-runs, she's
about it for now? Wondering if they are pitching this show
more towards women?

More like Political correctness. Women in "non-traditional" occupations.
Sort of like why most of the talking head professors on History channel
show yesterday were female.

there may be some of that. but there is also a genuine loosening up of
the rigor mortis of gender roles. I think it's a good thing.

I see no inherent reason that one gender would produce superior
woodworkers than the other.

I agree...I would have made my same comments had the host been male. Gender
of the craftsperson makes no difference to me. If you're good, you're good.

-m