Leigh Knudson

Default Men, Metal & Machines - Visalia Show Report

I just got back from the show a couple of hours ago. Yes, it is
Monday evening and I left home Friday morning at 5:00AM and live only
250 miles from Visalia.
This was my first model engineering show ever, and I was sure
pleasantly surprised. The little small block Chevrolet and flat head
V-8 Ford running models are incredible. They even sound right. I was
on the out on the floor during the whole show and heard only one
complaint. A vistor told me the management should reduce the vendor
fees and raise the admission fee ($7.00) so more exhibitors would
attend. He wasn't complaining about a lack of vendors but though more
whould make the show more interesting.
If you are really into hobby metal working and didn't attend the
show you made a big mistake. The Convention Center was literally
attached to the host hotel. Rooms rates were quite modest ($79.00) for
a very nice room and there were no parking fees or even problem
parking. I didn't see a single glitch or hear a raised voice during
the whole show and after having done many bigger trade shows it was a
pleasant change. I took some fairly large machines for resale and the
staff unloaded my trailer quickly with no fuss and Gary gave me a spot
right by the back door so I had a very short distance to move the
machines.
I would have to rate this as a great new experience and I am already
planning for next year. If you didn't make it this year you should be
planning to go next year and I am sure that 99% of those that did
attend this year will be back. Great people, good location and
fascinating models on display. Leigh@MarMachine
cej

"Leigh Knudson" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I too had never been to a model engineering show and was completely amazed
at the "works of art" on display. When I first heard about the show last
summer I was concerned a few dozen people might show up. After all, I live
in the Central Valley and the number of people there who are into model
engineering seemed too low to bother counting. Luckily the organizers had
much more faith than I, because they filled a good-sized exhibit hall with
people from all over California and the West. It was so refreshing to go to
a public event where everyone was polite and friendly. Even better was that
the organizers and vendors did not act like their patrons were unruly
children or even criminals-in-waiting.

I arrived when the doors opened Saturday and left when they closed. It took
two trips around to see everything and get a chance to talk to many of the
builders and vendors, including a number of the rcm "living legends". Where
else can you bring along a few shop items you shouldn't have ever bought,
consign them to the organizers to sell, and by the end of the day have made
enough to pay for all your miscellaneous impulse buys from the vendors. I
felt like I had gone to Las Vegas and actually come out ahead!
Carl Joplin

Scott S. Logan

On 27 Oct 2003 20:34:48 -0800, (Leigh Knudson)
wrote:

A vistor told me the management should reduce the vendor
fees and raise the admission fee ($7.00) so more exhibitors would
attend. He wasn't complaining about a lack of vendors but though more
whould make the show more interesting.

Well, since the admission fee is charged to exhibitors (and that is
ALL they have to pay to exhibit their work), this would not help.

Perhaps this is a case of mistaken terminology. There are three
groups of people at these shows: Vendors, Exhibitors, and Visitors.

Vendors (such as us, Meridian, MarMachine, Shooting Star etc.) pay the
highest fees. Booth fees for Vendors at the various shows can run
$150 to $500 and up, depending on booth size and other options.

Exhibitors are those who show their work. At least with the Cabin
Fever run shows, they are not allowed to sell goods. They pay nothing
other than the entrance fee, and can stake out a location and show off
their work. IMHO, the Exhibitors are what will make or break a show.
I have been talking with Gary, and we are working on ways to make it
more attractive for Exhibitors to show their work, and to stay through
the whole show. These plans may include gifts, drawings, or perhaps
refunds of admission fees. When these plans are worked out, it will
be announced here and elsewhere.

Finally, the visitors. Somewhere around 2000 attended this show,
which was thought to be pretty good for a first show. Certainly
better than the early Cabin Fever shows, and look at what those have
grown into.

I hope everyone enjoyed the show, and invite you all back next year.
If you have something to show, models, tools, engines, etc., please
bring them, and a friend. Get a space, show your stuff, and have the
friend along so you can switch off showing off and visiting the rest
of the show.

Scott

| Scott Logan - ssl "at" lathe.com |
| Logan Actuator Co.
http://www.lathe.com |
| Harvard, IL |
|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
| Parts and Accessories for Logan Lathes and |
| Montgomery Wards Lathes |
| Logan-Lilly Mine Hoist Safety Controllers |
"Measure Twice, Cut Once"

RCM FAQ - http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal
Metal Web News - http://www.metalwebnews.com/
Help squash SPAM: http://www.cauce.org/
Grant Erwin

Speaking of shows, I didn't hear a peep about PRIME this year (late
September, Eugene Oregon) except a rumor afterward that they aren't
going to do it again.

Any info?

Grant

wrote:

[...]

Orrin Iseminger

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:43:07 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Speaking of shows, I didn't hear a peep about PRIME this year (late
September, Eugene Oregon) except a rumor afterward that they aren't
going to do it again.

Any info?

Grant

This is the rather brief report I got from one of the vendors:

"PRIME went well. Was smaller than usual. Room to west was not used
(saved Ram $1800)

"GEARS will be held in Portland next Sept."

And, his information about GEARS:

"Gas Engine Antique Reproduction Show

www.oregongears.org

"Sept 25 & 25, 2004

"Probably at the armory at Jansen Beach close to I5 and Marine drive
by the Columbia. The bldg is ½ the size of the PRIME area"

Orrin

Leigh Knudson

[...]

In error I slipped into my me/they vernacular. The fellow that made
the "complaint" meant that it should be cheaper to sell stuff and more
expensive to attend thus making the event bigger. I used exhibiter and
vendor interchangably which in this case is incorrect. The most
important attendees were the exhibitors, those that brought an engine
or other to display. Without them there wouldn't be much reason to
attend. The second most important group were the attendees that paid
the princely sum of $7.00 for a solid day of great entertainment. The
lowly souls at this event were the peddlers like Scott and myself.
Scott has done other shows like this and I now know that my
presentation has to be adjusted as this is a different group then I am
used to dealing with at the auto swapmeets. I'd rate this group as
pretty upscale and defintely on the very intelligent side. To sum it
up I'd have to call it a great experience and one that I want to
repeat frequently. BTW Totally unrelated to this show, my sales of
machines took off this week leaving me in in a very upbeat mood.
Leigh@MarMachine
Nicholas Carter

Prime was fun as always, but clearly the decline of the show was
evident. Less vendors, less exhibitors, less attendance. Ram was going
to cancel the show this year but decided to continue one more year -
the clubs were going to take over the PRIME name but he wanted money
for it so they decided to break completely with the past and get a new
name. The GEARS show will be in Portland next year. (This is all 2nd
hand info so forgive me if I got any details wrong)

The failure of PRIME had two main reasons.
1) People don't take the time to exhibit their models and projects.
Without exhibitors there is no show. If GEARS is to stand a chance in
hell of continuing the tradition of a NW show, people need to get off
their asses and display!

2) Ram and Patrick, who deserve praise for starting the show, really
let it wither on the vine. You need more promotion than a text ad in
HSM, and a website that only gets update every couple of years. The
difference between the advertising for the Visalia show and PRIME was
stunning. You also need more involvement from the different clubs, but
I think that there were problems in that interface.

Oh and a guy cut his pinkie off in a vee belt on Saturday.

wrote:

[...]

Bob Powell

(Nicholas Carter) wrote in message ...
Prime was fun as always, but clearly the decline of the show was
evident. Less vendors, less exhibitors, less attendance. Ram was going
to cancel the show this year but decided to continue one more year -
the clubs were going to take over the PRIME name but he wanted money
for it so they decided to break completely with the past and get a new
name. The GEARS show will be in Portland next year. (This is all 2nd
hand info so forgive me if I got any details wrong)

The failure of PRIME had two main reasons.
1) People don't take the time to exhibit their models and projects.
Without exhibitors there is no show. If GEARS is to stand a chance in
hell of continuing the tradition of a NW show, people need to get off
their asses and display!

I went to PRIME '98 and 2000, the only hobby metal/model engineering
shows I have attended. '98 was fascinating, a world of stuff I had
never seen before. In 2000 the biggest surprise was seeing, or at
least remembering, no interesting exhibitor displays that weren't also
at the '98 show. The organizers did a great job the first time of
rounding up everyone in the NW, perhaps.

The 2000 show had more interesting vendors (Nick and Scott, for a
start) but I was more interested in seeing other folks' creations.

Annual may be too often for a show in the NW to be a long-term
success. Alternate years perhaps. The GEARS organizers should
consider that. At least Portland is more central than Eugene, easier
to get to from all over.

Bob
steamer

--I'd add a third reason: seminars. Not sure if there were any at
these other shows but it was great to catch the tail end of one on
patternmaking at the MM&M show. I'd vote for more of same and repeats of
well-attended ones, so's as many as possible could have a chance to learn
from those who talk. A plainly visible list in many conspicuous places of
what is being talked about and when would also help; don't recall seeing
one such in Visalia.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Just another Fart in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the Elevator of Life...

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 22nd 04 12:58 AM
Men, Metal & Machines - NEW Model Engineering Expo (Updated 23 Aug 2003) Scott S. Logan Metalworking 0 October 14th 03 12:54 PM
Men, Metal & Machines - NEW Model Engineering Expo (Updated 23 Aug 2003) Scott S. Logan Metalworking 0 October 4th 03 05:40 PM
Men, Metal & Machines - NEW Model Engineering Expo (Updated 23 Aug 2003) Scott S. Logan Metalworking 0 September 23rd 03 04:30 PM
Men, Metal & Machines - NEW Model Engineering Expo (Updated 23 Aug 2003) Scott S. Logan Metalworking 0 September 13th 03 06:47 PM