Mike Pio

Default New DIY show

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Mike Pio" wrote in message

There's a number of reasons why it makes a big difference, all
depending

OK, can you name some reasons? I'm not being sarcastic, but I do fail to
see why this is even an issue.

I'm kind of surprised you're asking this question, but anyway, here's my
thoughts on it.

I see why you might be surprised, but when I watched the show, I wasn't
paying attention to the host, I was paying attention to the shop, the
project and the host's skills as a woodworker. To be honest, I can barely
even remember what she looks like. The reasons you state below all have to
do with ratings and a network's choice of a host to attract viewers. I
looked at the program as a new woodworking show -- nothing more. What I'm
surprised about is why anyone is reading into it more than what I've stated
here. If one is interested in watching a pretty woman, there are many
better shows to watch than a DIY program, wouldn't you agree?

To this end, I've been watching that New Yankee for many years now. Despite
the fact that I (and many women too -- including my wife) think he's got a
VERY long way to go in the looks department, I never once considered his
physical attributes to be any factor in my watching the show.

So I would submit that anyone who cares about the fact that this new host is
a woman must have more interests than simply the content of the program.
What do you think?

1) Guys will watch (in the beginning), naturally because of sexual
interest.
(Some girls too)
2) They will also watch to see if she has any real woodworking skills.
(which would make her even more attractive) Let's not talk about the
chauvinists who think a woman has only a few purposes.
3) Women will watch because it empowers them to be independent and just as
capable. If not, then at the very least women will watch because it
pleases
them to see a woman do something just as well as a man, if not better,
especially in an area that so far is mostly a man's domain.
4) A woman is generally less intimidating if you're learning or thinking
of
learning how to do something.
5) There's the uniqueness of a woman doing skilled woodworking. More woman
are getting into it, but there's a long way to go before they even start
approach this "male" domain.

Of course, there's downsides to using a woman. If she's not as skilled as
people hope, she will lose credibility faster than any man. Or some male
egos will kicks in and say that there's no way a woman can be as capable.
But, I regress....

Those are just some of my thoughts as to why I think it makes a
difference.
I'm sure you get the idea. If I had my preference, I'd rather be looking
at
a good looking woman all day, than some man doing the same thing, but that
preference would is easily outweighed by my wanting that person to be
skilled in what they're doing and able to hold my attention with presence,
presentation and being able to teach me something that I can apply in the
real world.