Default basement shop question

Hi all,
I am new here and want to say hi to everyone and post a question.
Those of you in basement shops, how do you handle the dust and chip
issue? I am setting up a shop in a side room in the basement so I would
like some input . Also, do you have your sharpening equipment in there
as well or in the garage?
thanks in advance fo any ideas.
Matt

Kip

I have a 14X22 basement area: double bag dust collector behind the
lathe, two circulating filters (one commercial and one homemade).
Still get some dust accumulation and always wear respiratory protection
while power sanding. Having your sharpening equipment very far from
the lathe wuld be a pain in the neck.

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Arch

Hi Matt, Welcome and thanks for joining in. Not many basements in S.
Florida so you are spared my advice except to keep sharpening equipment
close to your lathe.
Please email me if and how PDF files are accessed with WebTv.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Owen Lowe

In article ,
wrote:

I am new here and want to say hi to everyone and post a question.
Those of you in basement shops, how do you handle the dust and chip
issue? I am setting up a shop in a side room in the basement so I would
like some input . Also, do you have your sharpening equipment in there
as well or in the garage?

I moved all of my turning activities out of my unheated garage last
winter so that I could develop some work for a show this past summer.
The only thing related to turning still left in the garage is the band
saw but that's gotta stay where it is; besides, my basement turnery is
only 9'x12'.

I enclosed this portion of the basement years ago to be used as a small
darkroom in a previous career path. Given it's small size and that the
area's separated from the rest of the basement, containing dust has been
somewhat easier, I'd think, than trying to capture the dust and shavings
in a full basement.

I use a Jet-1100 dust collector with the filter canister to collect
sanding dust as close to the point of generation as possible. Also use
it to vac up chips after a sweep up of the floor. This dust collector
captures most dust down to something like 2 microns in size. Secondary
collection is a JDS-750 air cleaner hung from the floor joists above.
This is run on medium speed during any sanding and on low speed for an
hour after I leave the room when finished for the day (unit has an auto
timer feature). This air filtration unit captures air-suspended dust
down to sub-one micron - as I recall. Since the bottom of the JDS is a
mere inches above my head, I positioned it over the grinder and disk
sander cart. I oriented the dust collection tools such that the JDS
intake is closest to the Jet's canister output.

Since my wife does the laundry in the basement plus keeps some of her
work dresses there for ironing and my daughter uses part of the basement
as a play area, I try to be very conscientious about cleaning up before
leaving the turnery for the day. Tracking much wood stuff out would be
tough on relations and so far it's been fairly easy - at least I've
heard zero complaints so far.

Here's a pic of the DC setup I have (kinda messy at the moment as I'm
waxing some odds and ends):

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/TurneryDustCollection.jpg

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.
George

wrote in message
Hi all,
I am new here and want to say hi to everyone and post a question.
Those of you in basement shops, how do you handle the dust and chip
issue? I am setting up a shop in a side room in the basement so I would
like some input . Also, do you have your sharpening equipment in there
as well or in the garage?
thanks in advance fo any ideas.

Chips are mostly a non-issue for me, because of the way I cut, and the fact
that my lathe is up against the wall.
http://georgephoto.photosite.com/~ph...7072183620.jpg

Outside shavings drop into a bag, inside shavings are ejected onto the table
or into the wall to drop to the table, where they're brushed into the bag.
http://georgephoto.photosite.com/~ph...7072559981.jpg
I can fill the bag and a companion in an afternoon of roughing, but humping
them up the stairs and out to the heap isn't too difficult, even when
they're wet and heavy.

My sanding is a bit unusual as well, which allows my to catch most of the
dust in a metal vent as it falls.
http://georgephoto.photosite.com/~ph...7072397688.jpg
This was on the back while I was sanding outside, because I had a case of
the lazy and didn't move it up front where It would be most effective. Back
where this is works fine for inside sanding or spindles.

I put on a nuisance dust mask when I think of it, but it's not enough to
soil a Kleenex usually, even If I neglect the mask. I have vacuumed the
area behind the lathe in the last couple of years, but it doesn't bother me
much if dust stays there. The real dustmakers in my shop are the belt/disc
sander and bandsaw. Even with the DC hooked up, they spread more than
sanding on the lathe.

mkl

wrote in message
Hi all,
I am new here and want to say hi to everyone and post a question.
Those of you in basement shops, how do you handle the dust and chip
issue? I am setting up a shop in a side room in the basement so I would
like some input . Also, do you have your sharpening equipment in there
as well or in the garage?
thanks in advance fo any ideas.
Matt

I hung a tarp between the shop area, furnace, and the washer and dryer. The
lathe can create a lot of dust and would end up all over the washer and
dryer. For example I turned some Padauk, and the red dust settled all over
the place. The wife made it quite clear how much red dust was all over the
washer and dryer. So, it sounded like I had the ok to go get a dust
collector. What a difference that made. I still get a little dust around
the shop, but the dust collector made about a 98% difference. And if any
wood chips go flying, at least the tarp keeps them in the shop area to be
taken care of by the shop vac at the end of my day.

Mike

mkl

wrote in message
Hi all,
I am new here and want to say hi to everyone and post a question.
Those of you in basement shops, how do you handle the dust and chip
issue? I am setting up a shop in a side room in the basement so I would
like some input . Also, do you have your sharpening equipment in there
as well or in the garage?
thanks in advance fo any ideas.
Matt

Forgot to say the grinder is setup on the bench 3 to 4 steps from the lathe.

Mike

Martin H. Eastburn

I think the concern was explosion of fine dust and sparks from grinding.
Filter, filter.
And further away is best - in the same room - e.g. turn around and take
a few steps - keeps the legs functional - not in a position to long.
It also gets the eyes to focus better - to long at the same distance is
bad as well.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Kip wrote:
I have a 14X22 basement area: double bag dust collector behind the
lathe, two circulating filters (one commercial and one homemade).
Still get some dust accumulation and always wear respiratory protection
while power sanding. Having your sharpening equipment very far from
the lathe wuld be a pain in the neck.

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Thanks for all the great info, everyone. Looks like I will be looking
for a dust collector really soon . Can't wait to get everythng set up
and start making a mess.
Thanks again
Matt

Owen Lowe

In article ,
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Okay, Owen, I have a question.

I see that you have substituted a galvanized trash can for the plastic
collection bag on the DC-1100. How are you sealing it? It looks like
you just used duct tape, is that correct?

Do you have the plastic bags sitting within the trash can or have you
decided to forego using them altogether?

Also, I haven't measured mine yet but did you have to alter either the
trash can or the stand for the cyclone ring?

Actually the trash can merely acts as a hard outer shell for the stock
plastic bags. When installing a new bag or emptying the old one (our
city has curbside yard debris pickup and accepts my lathe shavings) I
reattach the bag as normal and then stick it down in the trash can and
slide the can fully underneath.

I was constantly getting pinholes and small cuts in the bags which of
course would then leak dust. I tried coming up with a slick way to have
a hard can in the place of the bags and just happened to try it out as
described above. The result is that the collector is much quieter
without the loud rustling of the dust and chips swirling around the
plastic bag and any holes that appear don't leak like they did before.
It's also easier to fold the top of the bag down into the can and cart
that upstairs than deal with a leaking, dusty bag.

The can was one available from Ace Hardware, I believe. Nothing special.
It was used as a dog food container for a while and then a yard rakes
and shovels containment system for a while but was appropriated for the
DC when I went looking for something that would fit between the legs of
the cyclone ring and not be too tall. I'll see if I can remember to
measure it on my next trip to the basement.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.
Mike Paulson

I had a basement workshop when I was starting out. Chips are no problem,
sweep 'em up. Shower curtains around your lathe help if you want to
contain the mess to a smaller area. Sanding dust is pervasive and gets
everywhere, even with a dust collector and air cleaner running. If you
have forced air heat, the furnace will blow micro-fine sanding dust all
over your home but you won't see it because the missus will have you out
in the doghouse. Use weatherstripping and something under the shop door
to seal it as well as possible, tape off the heating vents, and put a fan
in a window or install a louvered vent. If you live in cold country
you'll want separate heat, an electric heater works fine. If it's too
cold to have a fan in the window (blowing out!), at least open it at
quitting time and exhaust the dust from the room before you open the door.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

In article ,
wrote:
Hi all,
I am new here and want to say hi to everyone and post a question.
Those of you in basement shops, how do you handle the dust and chip
issue? I am setting up a shop in a side room in the basement so I would
like some input . Also, do you have your sharpening equipment in there
as well or in the garage?
thanks in advance fo any ideas.
Matt

Tom Nie

Owen,

What's the white thing on the black cabinet?
Kinda like to see pictures of the rest of the shop if you got time.

I've got a 15x17 area downstairs with a 6' doorway facing the woods that I'd
like to temporarily setup for the shop. My dream is a rough cabin with BIG
doors on one side facing a porch and the bottoms at the back of my property.
Cool birds and deer down there. Wouldn't have to worry about dust or stuff
and could store wood under it.

TomNie

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Tom Nie" wrote:

What's the white thing on the black cabinet?
Kinda like to see pictures of the rest of the shop if you got time.

Ha,ha,ha. The "rest of the shop" he says... You mean the other wall?
Well, OK, hold ontayer shorts:
http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/LatheWall.JPG

BTW, that's an original Tiedman Lathe Stand.
http://www.kestrelcreek.com/toc.htm?id=19&cat=tech

Now, here's a teaser for you: I got one of the biggest lathes on order
to fit in the place of the Midi. I measured and remeasured - it oughta
fit...

The white thing is a 12" Jet disc sander. (In the picture it has a
beach-found chunk of either Redwood or Western Red Cedar burl on its
table.)

I've got a 15x17 area downstairs with a 6' doorway facing the woods that I'd
like to temporarily setup for the shop. My dream is a rough cabin with BIG
doors on one side facing a porch and the bottoms at the back of my property.
Cool birds and deer down there. Wouldn't have to worry about dust or stuff
and could store wood under it.

Lucky you. I have no windows at all. Have considered putting one in just
so I can see into the rest of the basement, but then I'd lose valuable
wall space.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.
George

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/LatheWall.JPG

BTW, that's an original Tiedman Lathe Stand.
http://www.kestrelcreek.com/toc.htm?id=19&cat=tech

Now, here's a teaser for you: I got one of the biggest lathes on order
to fit in the place of the Midi. I measured and remeasured - it oughta
fit...

First project with the big lathe is to convert those 4x4 s into ornaments.
Start small for familiarization?

Mike Paulson

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure what you are asking. Dust explosion is not an issue. The
only time I have ever heard of that it was a heavy dust concentration
inside metal ducting. If you are asking about fumes, you oughta check
with the manufacturer on that. I have heated with a wood stove for a
couple years, an indoor rated kerosene heater for a couple years, and a
portable electric heater since upgrading my insulation. No problems with
anything except you gotta watch where the shavings land and the kerosene
had some startup odor for a couple minutes until it got up to full
operating temperature.

-mike

wrote:
Hi all,
I am new here and want to say hi to everyone and post a question.
Those of you in basement shops, how do you handle the dust and chip
issue? I am setting up a shop in a side room in the basement so I would
like some input . Also, do you have your sharpening equipment in there
as well or in the garage?
thanks in advance fo any ideas.
Matt

Tom Nie

Maybe try using a pulldown white screen with an overhead projector flashing
pictures of the deer and the buffalo roaming. When you need the stuff behind
it just lift the screen. A man with no windows needs help and I'm trying to
reach out.

"One of the biggest" - my lathe's bigger than your lathe, doo daa, doo daa

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Tom Nie" wrote:

[...]

Tom Nie

Mike,

Dust explosion or simply fire.

Just seemed like a potential. Glad to hear you don't expect any problems.

wrote:
Hi all,
I am new here and want to say hi to everyone and post a question.
Those of you in basement shops, how do you handle the dust and chip
issue? I am setting up a shop in a side room in the basement so I would
like some input . Also, do you have your sharpening equipment in there
as well or in the garage?
thanks in advance fo any ideas.
Matt

Please be aware that suspended (in the air) wood dust is potentially
explosive when exposed to ignition sources, such as unvented heaters.
Consider the use of either a sealed combustion or direct vented heater
when heating areas where wood dust is present.
Ashoke - heating.products.bz

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

While this is true, the density has be enormously high for it to happen. Do
you have a real-world example of it happening in a workshop outside of a
dust collection system? Or even inside of one in a small shop?

I believe this is a true statement - as I recall in one discussion on the
wRECk, the levels of suspended dust would have to be so high that anyone
in the room would likely be forced out just by the need to breathe and
see. I'm not sure any of us would be able to generate that level of dust
suspension from a lathe.