Tom Nie

Mike,

Dust explosion or simply fire.

Just seemed like a potential. Glad to hear you don't expect any problems.

TomNie

"Mike Paulson" wrote in message
Hi Tom,

I'm not sure what you are asking. Dust explosion is not an issue. The
only time I have ever heard of that it was a heavy dust concentration
inside metal ducting. If you are asking about fumes, you oughta check
with the manufacturer on that. I have heated with a wood stove for a
couple years, an indoor rated kerosene heater for a couple years, and a
portable electric heater since upgrading my insulation. No problems with
anything except you gotta watch where the shavings land and the kerosene
had some startup odor for a couple minutes until it got up to full
operating temperature.

-mike

In article , Tom Nie
wrote:
Mike,
Can you use one of the propane catalytic heaters safely?

TomNie

"Mike Paulson" wrote in message
I had a basement workshop when I was starting out. Chips are no problem,
sweep 'em up. Shower curtains around your lathe help if you want to
contain the mess to a smaller area. Sanding dust is pervasive and gets
everywhere, even with a dust collector and air cleaner running. If you
have forced air heat, the furnace will blow micro-fine sanding dust all
over your home but you won't see it because the missus will have you out
in the doghouse. Use weatherstripping and something under the shop door
to seal it as well as possible, tape off the heating vents, and put a
fan
in a window or install a louvered vent. If you live in cold country
you'll want separate heat, an electric heater works fine. If it's too
cold to have a fan in the window (blowing out!), at least open it at
quitting time and exhaust the dust from the room before you open the
door.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

In article ,
wrote:
Hi all,
I am new here and want to say hi to everyone and post a question.
Those of you in basement shops, how do you handle the dust and chip
issue? I am setting up a shop in a side room in the basement so I would
like some input . Also, do you have your sharpening equipment in there
as well or in the garage?
thanks in advance fo any ideas.
Matt