George

wrote in message
Hi all,
I am new here and want to say hi to everyone and post a question.
Those of you in basement shops, how do you handle the dust and chip
issue? I am setting up a shop in a side room in the basement so I would
like some input . Also, do you have your sharpening equipment in there
as well or in the garage?
thanks in advance fo any ideas.

Chips are mostly a non-issue for me, because of the way I cut, and the fact
that my lathe is up against the wall.
http://georgephoto.photosite.com/~ph...7072183620.jpg

Outside shavings drop into a bag, inside shavings are ejected onto the table
or into the wall to drop to the table, where they're brushed into the bag.
http://georgephoto.photosite.com/~ph...7072559981.jpg
I can fill the bag and a companion in an afternoon of roughing, but humping
them up the stairs and out to the heap isn't too difficult, even when
they're wet and heavy.

My sanding is a bit unusual as well, which allows my to catch most of the
dust in a metal vent as it falls.
http://georgephoto.photosite.com/~ph...7072397688.jpg
This was on the back while I was sanding outside, because I had a case of
the lazy and didn't move it up front where It would be most effective. Back
where this is works fine for inside sanding or spindles.

I put on a nuisance dust mask when I think of it, but it's not enough to
soil a Kleenex usually, even If I neglect the mask. I have vacuumed the
area behind the lathe in the last couple of years, but it doesn't bother me
much if dust stays there. The real dustmakers in my shop are the belt/disc
sander and bandsaw. Even with the DC hooked up, they spread more than
sanding on the lathe.