Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

breaks

Default Basement Dehumidification -- Easy Question

Hi, I'm in the process of having a house built in Ohio. The basement
in the home is large, but only an unfinished partial. I plan on adding
temporary living quarters with bed, TV, computer, etc after we move in
so I'm planning on purchasing a dehumidifier. The basement does have a
sump pump with a drain, so I will locate the unit next to the drain so
it can empty itself.

I've noticed you can get 30-40 pint for approx $150, where 70-80 is
$250. I'm thinking I only need a small unit b/c of the constant
draining, but looking for some advice.

Is there any reason to buy a higher capacity unit?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Rich Greenberg

In article .com,
breaks wrote:
Hi, I'm in the process of having a house built in Ohio. The basement
in the home is large, but only an unfinished partial. I plan on adding
temporary living quarters with bed, TV, computer, etc after we move in
so I'm planning on purchasing a dehumidifier. The basement does have a
sump pump with a drain, so I will locate the unit next to the drain so
it can empty itself.

I've noticed you can get 30-40 pint for approx $150, where 70-80 is
$250. I'm thinking I only need a small unit b/c of the constant
draining, but looking for some advice.

Is there any reason to buy a higher capacity unit?

Depends on what the capacity means. Is it strictly the storage
capacity? Or is it the amount of water removed from the air in a given
time period?

breaks

Good point...Looks like the larger units are able to remove more water
/ day. I guess that would relate to energy consumption. Thanks for
asking a question that engaged my common sense. Have a good day!
Ryan

On 14 Apr 2005 09:24:24 -0700, someone wrote:

I've noticed you can get 30-40 pint for approx $150, where 70-80 is
$250. I'm thinking I only need a small unit b/c of the constant
draining,...

Well, what's the dehumidification capacity, not just the storage
capacity. And how much capacity do you need. A more powerful unit
that dehumidifies at a greater rate, would TEND to have a bigger tank
so that it doesn't need to be emptied more often, but that's the
effect.not the cause.

The way you asked is like saying "I am going to tow a trailer, should
I buy a car with a 25 gallon gas tank or is a 19 gallon enough, the
cars with 25 gallon tanks cost $30,000 and 19 gallon tanks only cost
$20,000?" Now, a more powerful vehicle would tend to have a bigger
tank, but the tank size in itself doesn't (directly) indicate towing
capacity.

noemail

v wrote:
[...]

I do not understand why the response has to be such confrontational?
Just to show you are smarter than others?

The guy was have the dehumidified water into the sump pump, so obviously
he is not talking about the water tank capacity. He just want to know if
the smaller machine would work (may be constantly?) to remove the humidity.

I don't know. The dehumdifiers I saw usually have ranges of sizes of
area and the conditions (wet, very wet etc) printed on the box. For a
1500 ft2 basement, I would think you need a 70 pint one, unless the
basement is realy dry.