I & H Prees

Default basement floor question

I'm getting some estimates for finishing the basement in my 7-year-old
townhouse and am coming up with more questions than answers when it comes to
what kind of flooring to put down over the concrete. I don't want to put
down carpet but I'd like something not too cold underfoot. Hardwood is too
expensive and I don't like the look of pergo. Ceramic tile seems too cold.
I'm thinking about 12 x 12 linoleum squares but is there a way I can make it
so the floor isn't too cold?

Joe Bobst

is there a way I can make it so the floor isn't too cold?

It's pricey but pretty and so lush underfoot...
Think cork.

Joe

Tom Baker

"I & H Prees" wrote in message ...
I'm getting some estimates for finishing the basement in my 7-year-old
townhouse and am coming up with more questions than answers when it comes to
what kind of flooring to put down over the concrete. I don't want to put
down carpet but I'd like something not too cold underfoot. Hardwood is too
expensive and I don't like the look of pergo. Ceramic tile seems too cold.
I'm thinking about 12 x 12 linoleum squares but is there a way I can make it
so the floor isn't too cold?

"Cold" as you describe it, is the rate at which heat is conducted away
from your feet.
So ceramic tile will be "cold".
Mr Bobst's suggestion of cork would work and some true linolium in
color could work.
However, I'd check manufacturer's recommendations for installation
below grade and on concrete.

TB

Kyle Boatright

"I & H Prees" wrote in message
I'm getting some estimates for finishing the basement in my 7-year-old
townhouse and am coming up with more questions than answers when it comes

what kind of flooring to put down over the concrete. I don't want to put
down carpet but I'd like something not too cold underfoot. Hardwood is too
expensive and I don't like the look of pergo. Ceramic tile seems too cold.
I'm thinking about 12 x 12 linoleum squares but is there a way I can make

it
so the floor isn't too cold?

Some of the "big box" stores carry carpet tile, which is a good "fit" for
amateur installation in dry basements. I work for one manufacturer of
carpet tile (we don't offer DIY products yet), and have one of our carpet
tile products in my basement playroom. It is soft underfoot, and offers
several options if you damage a tile (got kids?) or if a corner of your
basement gets wet. I'd recommend it for your application. Even if it is a
competitor's product. :-(

I'm sure when ours comes out, it'll be better than theirs anyway.. ;-)

Childfree Scott

If you think your floor is going to get wet periodically, go for the
thick, commercial style, vinyl tiles. My house was built in 1950 and
still has most the original tiles.