Owen Lowe

In article ,
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Okay, Owen, I have a question.

I see that you have substituted a galvanized trash can for the plastic
collection bag on the DC-1100. How are you sealing it? It looks like
you just used duct tape, is that correct?

Do you have the plastic bags sitting within the trash can or have you
decided to forego using them altogether?

Also, I haven't measured mine yet but did you have to alter either the
trash can or the stand for the cyclone ring?

Actually the trash can merely acts as a hard outer shell for the stock
plastic bags. When installing a new bag or emptying the old one (our
city has curbside yard debris pickup and accepts my lathe shavings) I
reattach the bag as normal and then stick it down in the trash can and
slide the can fully underneath.

I was constantly getting pinholes and small cuts in the bags which of
course would then leak dust. I tried coming up with a slick way to have
a hard can in the place of the bags and just happened to try it out as
described above. The result is that the collector is much quieter
without the loud rustling of the dust and chips swirling around the
plastic bag and any holes that appear don't leak like they did before.
It's also easier to fold the top of the bag down into the can and cart
that upstairs than deal with a leaking, dusty bag.

The can was one available from Ace Hardware, I believe. Nothing special.
It was used as a dog food container for a while and then a yard rakes
and shovels containment system for a while but was appropriated for the
DC when I went looking for something that would fit between the legs of
the cyclone ring and not be too tall. I'll see if I can remember to
measure it on my next trip to the basement.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.