Bjarte Runderheim

Default Power sanding with the "sioux"?

I have come to the stage where non-powered sanding just is not good enough
(elm and ash bowls of 15"-20") and I have searched the Google for advice
as to what other people use.

The gadget with most appeal to me seems to be the Sioux, right-angle drill,
(electric, _not_ pneumatic!)
currently _not_ sold by Amazon, and - it seems - nowhere else either.

Anybody out there with some advice as to what I can do, or with some
alternative drill that can do the same job satisfactorily?

Bjarte

Bill Rubenstein

Bjarte:

You can buy it as a Milwaukee. I think I've seen it in the big box
stores. I know that some people have had bearing trouble with it but
mine has been fine. The angle makes sanding easier, I think. Recently
I had to go back to a normal drill (I left the Milwaukee at the
warehouse) and had forgotten how much better the angled head works.

Bill

Bjarte Runderheim wrote:
I have come to the stage where non-powered sanding just is not good enough
(elm and ash bowls of 15"-20") and I have searched the Google for advice
as to what other people use.

The gadget with most appeal to me seems to be the Sioux, right-angle drill,
(electric, _not_ pneumatic!)
currently _not_ sold by Amazon, and - it seems - nowhere else either.

Anybody out there with some advice as to what I can do, or with some
alternative drill that can do the same job satisfactorily?

Bjarte

Arch

Hi Bjarte, In case the 'Sage of Upper Michigan' is out in his garden,
I'll mention that there are advantages to using a flex shaft and a
discarded motor. He can expound later. All best,

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Fred Eversole

The Sioux powered right-angle drill is available from Craft Supplies USA in
Provo, Utah. I didn't confirm this today, but it is in their catalog.

Look at www.woodturnerscatalog.com . (I searched on 'Sioux" and returned
both the powered ones and the pneumatic sander.) We purchased one of the
powered sanders at the AAW Symposium in Orlando last
year. Haven't used it yet, but it is the improved model that doesn't get
plugged up with sawdust as the one before last year did. It sure looks nice
in the box!

Good Luck.

Fred Eversole
no dot.

--
"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message

I have come to the stage where non-powered sanding just is not good enough
(elm and ash bowls of 15"-20") and I have searched the Google for advice
as to what other people use.

The gadget with most appeal to me seems to be the Sioux, right-angle

drill,
(electric, _not_ pneumatic!)
currently _not_ sold by Amazon, and - it seems - nowhere else either.

Anybody out there with some advice as to what I can do, or with some
alternative drill that can do the same job satisfactorily?

Bjarte

Derek & Sara Hartzell

I like the Makita 6501 1/4" drill. Here is one source, so you can see it
http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/6501/

Unlike the right angle drills that seem to wear out certain bearings, this
is a durable drill. For sanding the bottom of bowls, I can hold it in one
hand by the barrel with the speed locked on. It is not reversible. If
reversibility is essential for you, maybe you could try a router speed
controller. I tried a 3/8" drill and it felt huge and awkward for this job.

Bjarte the Souix and the Milwaukee close quarter drill are identical.
One costs more than the other. The rear bearings in both have a
tendency to wear out from sanding dust. The back bearing is not packed
in grease as are the front bearings. You can forstall the wear out
replace problem by blowing out the rea bearng (and for the at matter
the front) periodically with compressed air.

You can get the Milwaukee on ebay for about $70 sometimes less. They
seems to be easy to lift and pawn shops offer them. There are cheap
knock offs on ebay. They run around $25. Almost cheap enough to be
considered disposable. You can tell the knock offs because in the
pictures there is a black tab near the handle on the cord. Some pepole
buy the knock off and when it is gone get another.

I have all three types. All work well. The Souix has had to have its
switch replaced twoice in three years. No bearing replacement but they
are available at Boca Bearing in Florida for about $11. Darryl

George

"Arch" wrote in message
Hi Bjarte, In case the 'Sage of Upper Michigan' is out in his garden,
I'll mention that there are advantages to using a flex shaft and a
discarded motor. He can expound later. All best,

What? Recommend something cheaper? Something that doesn't burn your hand
from the heat it generates or fill the family TV with static?

Worse, the flex shaft is supported on a neutral tool rest, not the work,
generates less surface heat and keeps the sandpaper good longer. Doesn't
dive into the soft stuff and slide over the hard, that way either.

Now why would anyone want to use such a piece of gear when they could have a
heavy drill motor, however ergonomic, to use instead?

mac davis

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:35:17 GMT, "Bjarte Runderheim"
wrote:

I have come to the stage where non-powered sanding just is not good enough
(elm and ash bowls of 15"-20") and I have searched the Google for advice
as to what other people use.

The gadget with most appeal to me seems to be the Sioux, right-angle drill,
(electric, _not_ pneumatic!)
currently _not_ sold by Amazon, and - it seems - nowhere else either.

Anybody out there with some advice as to what I can do, or with some
alternative drill that can do the same job satisfactorily?

Bjarte

your budget is bigger than mine... *g*

I use my old craftsman corded 3/8 drill and assorted H&L disc holders to sand
most bowls...
I have a Harbor Freight right angle adapter that I use on a flex- power shaft,
if the drill won't get me there... it's more hassle, but worth it..

If you can afford the Milwaukee, go for it... it gets great reviews..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Bjarte Runderheim

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message

You can buy it as a Milwaukee. I think I've seen it in the big box
stores. I know that some people have had bearing trouble with it but mine
has been fine. The angle makes sanding easier, I think. Recently I had
to go back to a normal drill (I left the Milwaukee at the warehouse) and
had forgotten how much better the angled head works.

Thanks for the tip.
However, I need a 220/240V version, and the Milwaukee homepage cite
2 versions, a high speed and a low speed, both of them 110V.

Is there a solution for this?

Bjarte

Bruce Bowler

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:14:26 +0000, Bjarte Runderheim put fingers to
keyboard and said:

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message

You can buy it as a Milwaukee. I think I've seen it in the big box
stores. I know that some people have had bearing trouble with it but mine
has been fine. The angle makes sanding easier, I think. Recently I had
to go back to a normal drill (I left the Milwaukee at the warehouse) and
had forgotten how much better the angled head works.

Thanks for the tip.
However, I need a 220/240V version, and the Milwaukee homepage cite
2 versions, a high speed and a low speed, both of them 110V.

Is there a solution for this?

I think it's called a transformer :-)

--
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
Bruce Bowler | I do some of my best work in the basement. - Ross
| Donolow
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+

robo hippy

Bharte,
I have several of the Sioux angle drills. I do wear out the bearings on
at least one of them per year. The problem is that they are drills, and
not grinders, which is what they become with a 3 inch disc on them.
Just remember to go lightly with them, don't push down hard. They will
save you a lot of time. They are available from both Craft supplies and
Packard. There is a new model out that has a more powerful motor. I
should get one and give it the demolition test to see if it will take
more abuse than the others. As far as slow or high speed, I like the
high speed better, and sand with the lathe on the slowest speed. I know
of others who sand on higher speeds, and prefer the slow speed.
robo hippy

wrote:

[...]

Barry N. Turner

I know the Sioux/Milwaukee close-quarter drill appears to be the tool of
choice (according to posts to this NG and others) but I find my old
Panasonic 9.6 volt cordless does a perfectly acceptable job of power
sanding. It has a T-handle and two speed ranges. The high range 0-1500 rpm
works just fine. I find I really don't need more speed than that. In fact,
a higher speed might cause heat-checking in the wood.

Barry

"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message
I have come to the stage where non-powered sanding just is not good enough
(elm and ash bowls of 15"-20") and I have searched the Google for advice
as to what other people use.

The gadget with most appeal to me seems to be the Sioux, right-angle

drill,
(electric, _not_ pneumatic!)
currently _not_ sold by Amazon, and - it seems - nowhere else either.

Anybody out there with some advice as to what I can do, or with some
alternative drill that can do the same job satisfactorily?

Bjarte

George

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
I know the Sioux/Milwaukee close-quarter drill appears to be the tool of
choice (according to posts to this NG and others) but I find my old
Panasonic 9.6 volt cordless does a perfectly acceptable job of power
sanding. It has a T-handle and two speed ranges. The high range 0-1500

rpm
works just fine. I find I really don't need more speed than that. In

fact,
a higher speed might cause heat-checking in the wood.

Got a Makita right angle that's great for off-the-lathe touchups myself. I
use low range, because it doesn't see grits coarser than 320. Those with
the ubiquitous 1" 8tpi chuck might find it handy to get a couple bolts - one
headless for use in the banjo, one to mount through a 2x4 to be held in a
bench vise. Keeps 'em from running away.

Kirk

Owen,

I have 3 of the Sioux angle drills and perform routine
maintenance (repairs) myself. It is fairly simple to
change the brushes and replace the lower bearing. I
keep replacement bearings on hand since the life of the
lower bearing is limited. My own experience indicates
the lower bearing will fail unless the drill is not
used. The replacement bearing can be found for under 4
dollars online, and local bearing supply houses charge
about 7 dollars. This is probably a lot cheaper than
having a qualified service facility perform the same
maintenance.

When you first notice erratic speed or abnormal noise
the drill should be inspected for lower bearing
failure. Continued use can cause the inner and outer
races to seize. If this occurs the outer race will
spin causing damage to the housing where the lower
bearing is held in place. (learned lesson)

Most turners have the skill required to perform the
necessary maintenance on these drills.

Good Luck,
Kirk

Having just purchased the Milwaukee angle drill, I

was reading the...
(wait for it Arch, wait for it, wait for it)
.
.
.
Instruction manual.

Therein is a blurb under "Maintenance" stating,

"after six months to
one year, depending on use, return your tool to the

nearest Milwaukee
service facility for the following:"

"* Lubrication
* Brush inspection and replacement
* Mechanical inspection and cleaning (gears,

spindles, bearings,
housing, etc.)
* Electrical inspection (switch, cord, armature,

etc.)
* Testing to assure proper mechanical and electrical

operation"

How many have actually followed this recommendation?

How many of the
bearing failures would have been averted had the

owner followed the
manufacturer's maintenance guidelines?

Oh by the way. The first Milwaukee close quarter drill had the
reversing switch on the rear of the case near where the cord entered
the machine. The later version had the reversing switch on the top. I
understand that the rear switch is no longer available and there are
none apparently in the Milwaukee supply chain. If you buy on ebay make
certain you get the later version if possible.
There might be a work around just haven 't thought about it. Of course
one could always have it always revovle in one direction only.

Barry N. Turner

You can find reasonably good Sioux look-a-likes on Ebay. Just do a search
for "close-quarter drills". They sell for around $40. There are also
reconditioned Milwaukee and Sioux brands available.

Barry

"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message
I have come to the stage where non-powered sanding just is not good enough
(elm and ash bowls of 15"-20") and I have searched the Google for advice
as to what other people use.

The gadget with most appeal to me seems to be the Sioux, right-angle

drill,
(electric, _not_ pneumatic!)
currently _not_ sold by Amazon, and - it seems - nowhere else either.

Anybody out there with some advice as to what I can do, or with some
alternative drill that can do the same job satisfactorily?

Bjarte

Me myself and I

Thanks for the tip.

I have to admit...I might be tempted to buy one of those Ebay
knock-offs...just see how they compare to the real thing. . But I notice
that most of the sellers I checked seem to have a higher than average
amount of negative feedback. And some seem to pad the shipping
(i.e....$16.99 to ship a lightweight tool).

mmi

Barry N. Turner wrote:
You can find reasonably good Sioux look-a-likes on Ebay. Just do a search
for "close-quarter drills". They sell for around $40. There are also
reconditioned Milwaukee and Sioux brands available.

Barry

"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message

I have come to the stage where non-powered sanding just is not good enough
(elm and ash bowls of 15"-20") and I have searched the Google for advice
as to what other people use.

The gadget with most appeal to me seems to be the Sioux, right-angle

drill,

(electric, _not_ pneumatic!)
currently _not_ sold by Amazon, and - it seems - nowhere else either.

Anybody out there with some advice as to what I can do, or with some
alternative drill that can do the same job satisfactorily?

Bjarte

Owen Lowe

In article ,
Kirk wrote:

Most turners have the skill required to perform the
necessary maintenance on these drills.

Right. I guess I wasn't as clear as I intended with my post about
Milwaukee's recommendations. The manufacturer is advising overhauls and
tuneups on a 6 to 12 month schedule. That seems pretty frequent to me
but then again I haven't read the instructions to any other drill in
quite some time so don't recall others' recommended schedules. My point
was that given Milwaukee's advice we shouldn't expect the angle drill to
be a low or no-maintenance tool - and shouldn't be particularly
surprised at 6-12 month bearing replacements.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Safety Tip'o'th'week: Never grind aluminum and steel or iron on the same
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm

Owen Lowe

In article ,
Me myself and I wrote:

And some seem to pad the shipping
(i.e....$16.99 to ship a lightweight tool).

I wouldn't call the Milwaukee angled drill a light weight tool - it has
some good heft to it and wouldn't surprise me that it would be a couple
pounds shipping...

OK, just had to put this to rest for my own sake:
Amazon lists the Milwaukee 3/8" close-quarter drill at 3.5 lbs (they
also call it light weight, btw);
Shipping via USPS from Oregon to New York would be $7.87 via Parcel Post
and $10.35 via Priority Mail. Add in a couple bucks for insurance and
you're not too far off the $17. (I'm not saying it's not padded but it's
not waaaaay out of line - and if a higher volume seller has to buy any
shipping supplies he has to make up that cost.)

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Safety Tip'o'th'week: Never grind aluminum and steel or iron on the same
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm
George

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Kirk wrote:

Most turners have the skill required to perform the
necessary maintenance on these drills.

Right. I guess I wasn't as clear as I intended with my post about
Milwaukee's recommendations. The manufacturer is advising overhauls and
tuneups on a 6 to 12 month schedule. That seems pretty frequent to me
but then again I haven't read the instructions to any other drill in
quite some time so don't recall others' recommended schedules. My point
was that given Milwaukee's advice we shouldn't expect the angle drill to
be a low or no-maintenance tool - and shouldn't be particularly
surprised at 6-12 month bearing replacements.

Especially when it's being misused as a sander, which demands longer "on"
times than drilling and produces a lot more crud.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Owen

That's the way I looked at it also, for that reason I use most often a
cheap normal drill, I got a few, (refurbished returned ones) and only
use my Milwaukee when needed, have used it for 3 or 4 years and so far
have opened it one time, to clean and lube, she's still working fine.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Owen Lowe wrote:

Right. I guess I wasn't as clear as I intended with my post about
Milwaukee's recommendations. The manufacturer is advising overhauls and
tuneups on a 6 to 12 month schedule. That seems pretty frequent to me
but then again I haven't read the instructions to any other drill in
quite some time so don't recall others' recommended schedules. My point
was that given Milwaukee's advice we shouldn't expect the angle drill to
be a low or no-maintenance tool - and shouldn't be particularly
surprised at 6-12 month bearing replacements.

David Harper

Try searching E-bay for the Milwaukee Close Quarter Drill or just
Close Quarter Drill I got one last year and am happy I did

the speeds are the same as far as I can remember.

There are also some less expensive knock-offs listed.

"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message
I have come to the stage where non-powered sanding just is not good enough
(elm and ash bowls of 15"-20") and I have searched the Google for advice
as to what other people use.

The gadget with most appeal to me seems to be the Sioux, right-angle
drill,
(electric, _not_ pneumatic!)
currently _not_ sold by Amazon, and - it seems - nowhere else either.

Anybody out there with some advice as to what I can do, or with some
alternative drill that can do the same job satisfactorily?

Bjarte

JRJohnson

Owen Lowe wrote:

Right. I guess I wasn't as clear as I intended with my post about
Milwaukee's recommendations. The manufacturer is advising overhauls and
tuneups on a 6 to 12 month schedule. That seems pretty frequent to me
but then again I haven't read the instructions to any other drill in
quite some time so don't recall others' recommended schedules. My point
was that given Milwaukee's advice we shouldn't expect the angle drill to
be a low or no-maintenance tool - and shouldn't be particularly
surprised at 6-12 month bearing replacements.

Guys, having used the Sioux drills for 20 years or so, I have a few
insights.
First, take your Sioux (Milwaukee) drill apart, clean out all the grease in
the gear case. Install the gears, chuck, armature, etc. into one half of
the housing. Fill that half housing with engine assembly lube (get it at
your auto supply). This is a much lighter weight, much higher quality lube.
The result will be a drill that runs much cooler, much longer.

Second, while you have the drill apart, get the front/rear bearing numbers
and brush details and order bearings and brushes now. Then, when you need
them, you will have them.

If you have compressed air, blow out the drill occasionally. You will not
blow dust into the bearings, etc, but will get rid of the crud.

If you do this, you can keep your drills running for a very long time.

Oh, might order a switch also, just in case.

If you are curious why a lighter grease is better, ask. I will explain to
you about 'shearing' and the energy/heat required to shear the heavy grease.

Best regards,
James R. Johnson

Bjarte Runderheim

"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message
I have come to the stage where non-powered sanding just is not good enough
(elm and ash bowls of 15"-20") and I have searched the Google for advice
as to what other people use.

The gadget with most appeal to me seems to be the Sioux, right-angle
drill,

Thanks to all for all the tips and insights on this topic.
It has helped me a lot.

Bjarte

retrofitting an ATX psupply into a microATX psupply box - won't power dave Electronics Repair 0 March 23rd 05 03:23 PM
Power sanding mac davis Woodturning 5 March 18th 05 05:07 PM
Power surges Cheryl Home Repair 54 June 25th 04 08:50 PM
Power surges 1/ 2 barry martin Home Repair 0 June 5th 04 10:48 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM