robo hippy

Bharte,
I have several of the Sioux angle drills. I do wear out the bearings on
at least one of them per year. The problem is that they are drills, and
not grinders, which is what they become with a 3 inch disc on them.
Just remember to go lightly with them, don't push down hard. They will
save you a lot of time. They are available from both Craft supplies and
Packard. There is a new model out that has a more powerful motor. I
should get one and give it the demolition test to see if it will take
more abuse than the others. As far as slow or high speed, I like the
high speed better, and sand with the lathe on the slowest speed. I know
of others who sand on higher speeds, and prefer the slow speed.
robo hippy

mac davis wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:35:17 GMT, "Bjarte Runderheim"
wrote:

I have come to the stage where non-powered sanding just is not good enough
(elm and ash bowls of 15"-20") and I have searched the Google for advice
as to what other people use.

The gadget with most appeal to me seems to be the Sioux, right-angle drill,
(electric, _not_ pneumatic!)
currently _not_ sold by Amazon, and - it seems - nowhere else either.

Anybody out there with some advice as to what I can do, or with some
alternative drill that can do the same job satisfactorily?

Bjarte

your budget is bigger than mine... *g*

I use my old craftsman corded 3/8 drill and assorted H&L disc holders to sand
most bowls...
I have a Harbor Freight right angle adapter that I use on a flex- power shaft,
if the drill won't get me there... it's more hassle, but worth it..

If you can afford the Milwaukee, go for it... it gets great reviews..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing