George

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
I know the Sioux/Milwaukee close-quarter drill appears to be the tool of
choice (according to posts to this NG and others) but I find my old
Panasonic 9.6 volt cordless does a perfectly acceptable job of power
sanding. It has a T-handle and two speed ranges. The high range 0-1500

rpm
works just fine. I find I really don't need more speed than that. In

fact,
a higher speed might cause heat-checking in the wood.

Got a Makita right angle that's great for off-the-lathe touchups myself. I
use low range, because it doesn't see grits coarser than 320. Those with
the ubiquitous 1" 8tpi chuck might find it handy to get a couple bolts - one
headless for use in the banjo, one to mount through a 2x4 to be held in a
bench vise. Keeps 'em from running away.