mac davis

Default Power sanding

After a few months of good natured nagging from this group, I ordered a cheap
starter set for power sanding.. (2" & 3" foam backed disks)

Got them last night and played with them.. mostly on a large hardwood bowl that
was started about 10 years ago and never sanded... what a world of difference!!

I'm hooked on power sanding now.. I was using a corded drill and also playing
with a flex cable, which I wasn't happy with..
Time now to get a right angle drill, I guess... might as well go all the way
with it..

thanks again for the nagging/nudging/explanations, folks!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Leo Lichtman

"mac davis" wrote: (clip) Time now to get a right angle drill, I guess...
might as well go all the way with it..
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you really want to go "all the way," spend some extra bucks, and get one
of those bowling pin style angle drills like a Milwaukee. They allow a full
hand grip near the chuck. which is more relaxed and gives good control.

If you're lucky, you may find a cheap import copy. I got one at a tent sale
for about $20, and it also does the job.

George

"mac davis" wrote in message
After a few months of good natured nagging from this group, I ordered a

cheap
starter set for power sanding.. (2" & 3" foam backed disks)

Got them last night and played with them.. mostly on a large hardwood bowl

that
was started about 10 years ago and never sanded... what a world of

difference!!

I'm hooked on power sanding now.. I was using a corded drill and also

playing
with a flex cable, which I wasn't happy with..
Time now to get a right angle drill, I guess... might as well go all the

way
with it..

Play with a flexible shaft again. Also get yourself some of the hard-backed
power-lock disks. That way you can rest the handpiece on the toolrest,
making the equivalent of a rotating scraper. Keeps the work round, and
doesn't dive into soft spalted portions.

Other advantages, other than long abrasive life from not having to heat your
work because you're supported elsewhere, include the ability to use the
interior of a disk effectively on the convex portion of your work, not
having to buy "wave" disks, because with both disk and work rotating, you
_can't_ dig in and burn, and low noise because you power it with an
induction-run motor. Oh yes, did I mention that after a few years you
don't regret pitching the entire $50 item if the bearings get funky?

mac davis

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:06:56 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That wouldn't work for me, George... most of my stuff is in the 2" to 5" size,
mostly boxes/jars and small bowls and goblets.. all of the power sanding so far
has been on the outside of things..

In the long run, $50 is nothing.. hell, the Talon chuck cost almost as much as
the lathe!

Besides, that 20 pound assortment of sanding belt ends will last at least a
year, now.. maybe 2!
BTW, that's excellent paper and a great deal, thanks again for the link!

http://www.woodworkingshop.com
item BB00001

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
George

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:06:56 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

That wouldn't work for me, George... most of my stuff is in the 2" to 5"

size,
mostly boxes/jars and small bowls and goblets.. all of the power sanding

so far
has been on the outside of things..

Take a look at the Power Lock flex edge. Great in boxes and goblets.

mac davis

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:20:13 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:06:56 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

That wouldn't work for me, George... most of my stuff is in the 2" to 5"

size,
mostly boxes/jars and small bowls and goblets.. all of the power sanding

so far
has been on the outside of things..

Take a look at the Power Lock flex edge. Great in boxes and goblets.

George... how is it different from the one that I got?
http://tinyurl.com/6ddsv

I made my own with a 1/2" head and it still won't fit inside most of the stuff
that I turn... Maybe I need to think bigger, but my wife loves those little (1"
dia) boxes and goblets..

Power surges Cheryl Home Repair 54 June 25th 04 08:50 PM
need help tracing power circuit on laptop railroadrum Electronics Repair 7 April 16th 04 09:02 PM
Can power supply rebuild kit save this VCR? Sofie Electronics Repair 5 April 14th 04 10:37 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Switching Power Supply Failure W. Curtiss Priest Electronics Repair 5 October 9th 03 10:43 PM