JRJohnson

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message
Hi Owen

That's the way I looked at it also, for that reason I use most often a
cheap normal drill, I got a few, (refurbished returned ones) and only
use my Milwaukee when needed, have used it for 3 or 4 years and so far
have opened it one time, to clean and lube, she's still working fine.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Owen Lowe wrote:

Right. I guess I wasn't as clear as I intended with my post about
Milwaukee's recommendations. The manufacturer is advising overhauls and
tuneups on a 6 to 12 month schedule. That seems pretty frequent to me
but then again I haven't read the instructions to any other drill in
quite some time so don't recall others' recommended schedules. My point
was that given Milwaukee's advice we shouldn't expect the angle drill to
be a low or no-maintenance tool - and shouldn't be particularly
surprised at 6-12 month bearing replacements.

Guys, having used the Sioux drills for 20 years or so, I have a few
insights.
First, take your Sioux (Milwaukee) drill apart, clean out all the grease in
the gear case. Install the gears, chuck, armature, etc. into one half of
the housing. Fill that half housing with engine assembly lube (get it at
your auto supply). This is a much lighter weight, much higher quality lube.
The result will be a drill that runs much cooler, much longer.

Second, while you have the drill apart, get the front/rear bearing numbers
and brush details and order bearings and brushes now. Then, when you need
them, you will have them.

If you have compressed air, blow out the drill occasionally. You will not
blow dust into the bearings, etc, but will get rid of the crud.

If you do this, you can keep your drills running for a very long time.

Oh, might order a switch also, just in case.

If you are curious why a lighter grease is better, ask. I will explain to
you about 'shearing' and the energy/heat required to shear the heavy grease.

Best regards,
James R. Johnson