Kirk

Owen,

I have 3 of the Sioux angle drills and perform routine
maintenance (repairs) myself. It is fairly simple to
change the brushes and replace the lower bearing. I
keep replacement bearings on hand since the life of the
lower bearing is limited. My own experience indicates
the lower bearing will fail unless the drill is not
used. The replacement bearing can be found for under 4
dollars online, and local bearing supply houses charge
about 7 dollars. This is probably a lot cheaper than
having a qualified service facility perform the same
maintenance.

When you first notice erratic speed or abnormal noise
the drill should be inspected for lower bearing
failure. Continued use can cause the inner and outer
races to seize. If this occurs the outer race will
spin causing damage to the housing where the lower
bearing is held in place. (learned lesson)

Most turners have the skill required to perform the
necessary maintenance on these drills.

Good Luck,
Kirk

Having just purchased the Milwaukee angle drill, I

was reading the...
(wait for it Arch, wait for it, wait for it)
.
.
.
Instruction manual.

Therein is a blurb under "Maintenance" stating,

"after six months to
one year, depending on use, return your tool to the

nearest Milwaukee
service facility for the following:"

"* Lubrication
* Brush inspection and replacement
* Mechanical inspection and cleaning (gears,

spindles, bearings,
housing, etc.)
* Electrical inspection (switch, cord, armature,

etc.)
* Testing to assure proper mechanical and electrical

operation"

How many have actually followed this recommendation?

How many of the
bearing failures would have been averted had the

owner followed the
manufacturer's maintenance guidelines?