Old March 15th 19, 08:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stopping wheelie bins from blowing over?

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:20:30 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I

remember
which I didn't yesterday.

What a standard 2' x 3' x 2" paving slab? They are almost glued to
the ground as far as I'm concerned, let alone hoiking one up onto a
wheelie bin! Use a smaller rock and get into the habit of always
putting it on.

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the
whole bin ? Does it save time ?

I'd say! The wheels of the wagon barely stop revolving when they pick
up our blue bag (only wheelie bin is garden waste). Wagon slows
almost to a stop next to the bag, operative hops out, lobs, tightly
knotted, replacement bag onto drive, wagon pulls forward as operative
picks up bag, back of wagon arrives, bag lobbed in, operative jogs to
front of wagon, gets in, off they go. A wheelie bin might be just
leaving the ground in the same time...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old March 15th 19, 08:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:55:45 +0000, R D S wrote:

####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to
prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most
people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom, heavy
on top ....

Most people put the rubbish in the bin in the order it's generated.
They're certainly not going to keep a binload of rubbish around the
house in anticipation of some heavier items that they're going to
dispose of at the end of the week.

Our green bin was blown over last week, and since it's not being used
(yet) I left it like that ...

There are probably quite a few solutions. However the non-zero cost of
any of them suggests you'll be waiting a long time to see them
implemented.

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the whole
bin ? Does it save time ?

There's also the rather grey area of liability for any damage a bin does
*after* the nice bin men have emptied it. Maybe one for the legal
bods .....

Yes. Or for the fact that our bin men abandon both our bins (food waste
is emptied weekly, general waste fortnightly, cardboard and paper
monthly and bottles and tins monthly, giving two per week), plus both of
our neighbour's bins, directly in front of our drive, forcing me to park
up and move the bins before accessing my drive (not fun if I am home
early, the road is full of school pick-up parents and it's pouring with
rain). They are also left directly in the middle of the pavement, making
it very difficult for parents with pushchairs (lots going to and from
the schools) or people in wheelchairs (again lots as there is a large
care-home 100 yards away and they bring residents our for a "walk" on
nice days).

The council say that we are supposed to take them in within a couple of
hours of emptying, but that's rather difficult when they empty them
around 30 minutes after you've left for work!

SteveW
Old March 15th 19, 08:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:47, R D S wrote:
On 15/03/2019 17:27, Nick Odell wrote:
But here in Kirklees the third bin is optional and for garden waste

Well, I say third, we have an optional garden one too which I don't
bother with, so actually a forth potentially.

They want us to have,

non recyclable,
paper/card,
cans/bottles etc,
garden waste.

That's what we have, except the garden waste one used to be food and
garden waste, changed to food and cut-flowers only (unless you paid a
yearly fee for garden waste collection) and is changing back to a
no-extra fee food and garden waste collection in a couple of months.

SteveW
Old March 15th 19, 08:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:53:57 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to
prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most
people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom, heavy
on top ....

Good idea.

Over the course of the fortnight in-between emptying the recycling bin,
i'll drink spirits in the first week, putting the heavy glass in first,
and have any mixers in the plastic bottles in week 2.

Nice one, problem solved.

Can't do that where I live - glass has its own bin.
--
Dave W
Old March 15th 19, 09:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 05:43:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the whole
bin ?

Doesn˘t happen here, no dustmen at all, just the driver of the truck.

Where's "here", senile asshole? In Australia? Then **** off to an Australian
newsgroup!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Old March 15th 19, 10:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:55:45 +0000, R D S wrote:

####ing wind!

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the whole
bin ? Does it save time ?

You are not alone! I suppose are rubbish is in a bag because we use
then in the kitchen pedal bin.

There's also the rather grey area of liability for any damage a bin does
*after* the nice bin men have emptied it. Maybe one for the legal
bods .....

--
Michael Chare
Old March 15th 19, 10:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 16:55, R D S wrote:
####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

We have some bins normally kept next to a wall. I screwed eyes into the
wall and use a bungee to keep a bin in place. The bungee frayed, and I
did wonder if some animal had tried to chew it. We have a stack of
three little bins. Two have plastic flaps and one flap broke when I put
the stack of bins out to be collected and the stack got blown over. I
asked for a replacement flap. It was delivered free of charge the next day.

--
Michael Chare
Old March 15th 19, 10:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

Bungie strap to hold the lid in place? Shouldn't matter if it keels
over then, but more bungie straps could fix that too ...
Old March 15th 19, 11:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:53:57 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to
prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most
people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom,
heavy on top ....

Good idea.

Over the course of the fortnight in-between emptying the recycling bin,
i'll drink spirits in the first week, putting the heavy glass in first,
and have any mixers in the plastic bottles in week 2.

Nice one, problem solved.

Good old British ingenuity !

Doesn’t seem to be working with BRexit.

Old March 16th 19, 12:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 March 2019 16:55:49 UTC, R D S wrote:
####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

In our case a bungee cord tying together the handles of two bins together back-to-back has worked wonders. Separately they'd walk around in the wind, often falling over entirely, but together we've had no issues.

Can I chuck unused wheelie bins in a skip? R D S[_2_] UK diy 62 February 13th 19 11:41 PM
wheelie bins Dave UK diy 60 August 14th 10 01:32 AM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant Dave UK diy 3 July 7th 06 11:55 PM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant Guy King UK diy 0 July 7th 06 02:51 PM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant [email protected] UK diy 0 July 7th 06 01:48 PM