Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stopping wheelie bins from blowing over?

####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd just like to stop them rolling along like land based sailing boats down
the pavement.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"R D S" wrote in message
####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 16:55, R D S wrote:
####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

Tell me about it.
I've tried without success to find a "sweet" spot out of the vortex. My
bins and the next-door neighbour's bins always blow over but
next-door-but-one's never do. If I could only put our back gardens in a
smoke filled wind tunnel and see what's going on here....

I've bought some webbing with ratchet tensioning and plan to put a few
eye bolts into the wall and lash the bins to that but -erme- it's a bit
too windy to do that at the moment!

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

Tell me about it.
But here in Kirklees the third bin is optional and for garden waste and
I recycle all of mine. The leafy stuff gets composted and the woody
stuff gets processed throughout the summer to make it suitable for
burning indoors during the next winter.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:27, Nick Odell wrote:
But here in Kirklees the third bin is optional and for garden waste

Well, I say third, we have an optional garden one too which I don't
bother with, so actually a forth potentially.

They want us to have,

non recyclable,
paper/card,
cans/bottles etc,
garden waste.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to
prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most
people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom, heavy
on top ....

Good idea.

Over the course of the fortnight in-between emptying the recycling bin,
i'll drink spirits in the first week, putting the heavy glass in first,
and have any mixers in the plastic bottles in week 2.

Nice one, problem solved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:47, R D S wrote:

forth potentially.

Fourth, of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/03/2019 16:55, R D S wrote:
####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

Has anyone screwed part of a paving slab to the bottom? You'd need to
place the slab inside, then screw through the base of the bin into the
slab, with very large washers to spread the load.

There could be safety issues, as the empty bins will be heavier than the
binmen expect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:20:30 -0000 (UTC)
Jethro_uk wrote:

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that
look inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip
the whole bin ? Does it save time ?

Well, they don't have to take the bin back if they take the bag out,
but who knows how much time looking in every bin adds up?
Our bin usually has multiple smaller bags in it, so better to tip it.
Wherever I leave it for them they usually manage to return it by a wall
close to a lamp post where it's most likely to inconvenience someone
with e.g. a tandem push-chair.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/03/2019 18:17, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 18:06:40 +0000, GB
wrote:

Has anyone screwed part of a paving slab to the bottom? You'd need to
place the slab inside, then screw through the base of the bin into the
slab, with very large washers to spread the load.

I thought much the same. Rather than using a paving slab, you could
screw some heavy gauge screws through the base, with large washers to
spread the load, as you suggest, and then empty a bag of postcrete
into the bin, followed by some water to set it off.

I recently had to buy a new bin. They are £50 where I live. So,
experimenting had better not damage the bin too much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:55:45 +0000, R D S wrote:

####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to
prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most
people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom, heavy
on top ....

Our green bin was blown over last week, and since it's not being used
(yet) I left it like that ...

There are probably quite a few solutions. However the non-zero cost of
any of them suggests you'll be waiting a long time to see them
implemented.

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the whole
bin ?

Doesnt happen here, no dustmen at all, just the driver of the truck.

Does it save time ?

There's also the rather grey area of liability for any damage a bin does
*after* the nice bin men have emptied it. Maybe one for the legal
bods .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:20:30 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I

remember
which I didn't yesterday.

What a standard 2' x 3' x 2" paving slab? They are almost glued to
the ground as far as I'm concerned, let alone hoiking one up onto a
wheelie bin! Use a smaller rock and get into the habit of always
putting it on.

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the
whole bin ? Does it save time ?

I'd say! The wheels of the wagon barely stop revolving when they pick
up our blue bag (only wheelie bin is garden waste). Wagon slows
almost to a stop next to the bag, operative hops out, lobs, tightly
knotted, replacement bag onto drive, wagon pulls forward as operative
picks up bag, back of wagon arrives, bag lobbed in, operative jogs to
front of wagon, gets in, off they go. A wheelie bin might be just
leaving the ground in the same time...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:55:45 +0000, R D S wrote:

####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to
prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most
people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom, heavy
on top ....

Most people put the rubbish in the bin in the order it's generated.
They're certainly not going to keep a binload of rubbish around the
house in anticipation of some heavier items that they're going to
dispose of at the end of the week.

Our green bin was blown over last week, and since it's not being used
(yet) I left it like that ...

There are probably quite a few solutions. However the non-zero cost of
any of them suggests you'll be waiting a long time to see them
implemented.

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the whole
bin ? Does it save time ?

There's also the rather grey area of liability for any damage a bin does
*after* the nice bin men have emptied it. Maybe one for the legal
bods .....

Yes. Or for the fact that our bin men abandon both our bins (food waste
is emptied weekly, general waste fortnightly, cardboard and paper
monthly and bottles and tins monthly, giving two per week), plus both of
our neighbour's bins, directly in front of our drive, forcing me to park
up and move the bins before accessing my drive (not fun if I am home
early, the road is full of school pick-up parents and it's pouring with
rain). They are also left directly in the middle of the pavement, making
it very difficult for parents with pushchairs (lots going to and from
the schools) or people in wheelchairs (again lots as there is a large
care-home 100 yards away and they bring residents our for a "walk" on
nice days).

The council say that we are supposed to take them in within a couple of
hours of emptying, but that's rather difficult when they empty them
around 30 minutes after you've left for work!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:47, R D S wrote:
On 15/03/2019 17:27, Nick Odell wrote:
But here in Kirklees the third bin is optional and for garden waste

Well, I say third, we have an optional garden one too which I don't
bother with, so actually a forth potentially.

They want us to have,

non recyclable,
paper/card,
cans/bottles etc,
garden waste.

That's what we have, except the garden waste one used to be food and
garden waste, changed to food and cut-flowers only (unless you paid a
yearly fee for garden waste collection) and is changing back to a
no-extra fee food and garden waste collection in a couple of months.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:53:57 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to
prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most
people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom, heavy
on top ....

Good idea.

Over the course of the fortnight in-between emptying the recycling bin,
i'll drink spirits in the first week, putting the heavy glass in first,
and have any mixers in the plastic bottles in week 2.

Nice one, problem solved.

Can't do that where I live - glass has its own bin.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 05:43:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the whole
bin ?

Doesn¢t happen here, no dustmen at all, just the driver of the truck.

Where's "here", senile asshole? In Australia? Then **** off to an Australian
newsgroup!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:55:45 +0000, R D S wrote:

####ing wind!

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the whole
bin ? Does it save time ?

You are not alone! I suppose are rubbish is in a bag because we use
then in the kitchen pedal bin.

There's also the rather grey area of liability for any damage a bin does
*after* the nice bin men have emptied it. Maybe one for the legal
bods .....

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 16:55, R D S wrote:
####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

We have some bins normally kept next to a wall. I screwed eyes into the
wall and use a bungee to keep a bin in place. The bungee frayed, and I
did wonder if some animal had tried to chew it. We have a stack of
three little bins. Two have plastic flaps and one flap broke when I put
the stack of bins out to be collected and the stack got blown over. I
asked for a replacement flap. It was delivered free of charge the next day.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

Bungie strap to hold the lid in place? Shouldn't matter if it keels
over then, but more bungie straps could fix that too ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:53:57 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to
prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most
people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom,
heavy on top ....

Good idea.

Over the course of the fortnight in-between emptying the recycling bin,
i'll drink spirits in the first week, putting the heavy glass in first,
and have any mixers in the plastic bottles in week 2.

Nice one, problem solved.

Good old British ingenuity !

Doesnt seem to be working with BRexit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 March 2019 16:55:49 UTC, R D S wrote:
####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

In our case a bungee cord tying together the handles of two bins together back-to-back has worked wonders. Separately they'd walk around in the wind, often falling over entirely, but together we've had no issues.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 09:34:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Nice one, problem solved.

Good old British ingenuity !

Doesn¢t seem to be working with BRexit.

Didn't someone tell you to **** off to an Australian newsgroup, you ****ed
up psychopathic senile Ozzie troll?

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 21:14:37 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:55:45 +0000, R D S wrote:

####ing wind!

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the
whole bin ? Does it save time ?

You are not alone! I suppose are rubbish is in a bag because we use
then in the kitchen pedal bin.

There's also the rather grey area of liability for any damage a bin
does *after* the nice bin men have emptied it. Maybe one for the legal
bods .....

To be honest, just 2 of us, we can go 4 weeks before the wheelie bin is
full ...

With one of me and **** all waste, it takes much longer than that.
I do put quite a bit of stuff I freeze in the smallest plastic bags and
put the bread from the bread machine in a medium sized plastic
bag and the frozen peas/corn/capsicum come in plastic bags,
but it takes a hell of a lot of those to fill a wheely bin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 10:40:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH more senile troll****

Nobody gives a ****, about your ****, senile ****head!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 15/03/2019 23:11, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 15 March 2019 16:55:49 UTC, R D S wrote:
####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

In our case a bungee cord tying together the handles of two bins together back-to-back has worked wonders. Separately they'd walk around in the wind, often falling over entirely, but together we've had no issues.

I have a piece of rope, one end tied to the garden bench the other end
has a lump of paving slab tied to it, when windy I pull the rope over
the 3 bins and sit the slab on the ground.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that
look inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip
the whole bin ? Does it save time ?

Well, they don't have to take the bin back if they take the bag out,
but who knows how much time looking in every bin adds up?
Our bin usually has multiple smaller bags in it, so better to tip it.
Wherever I leave it for them they usually manage to return it by a wall
close to a lamp post where it's most likely to inconvenience someone
with e.g. a tandem push-chair.

'Companiable' push-chairs are even wider!
We have a standard footway then a wide verge. The bindroids (dimdroids?)
mange to leave the bins in the middle of the footway. Another metre wouldn't
be too difficult, surely.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 19:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:47:48 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 15/03/2019 17:27, Nick Odell wrote:
But here in Kirklees the third bin is optional and for garden waste

Well, I say third, we have an optional garden one too which I don't
bother with, so actually a forth potentially.

They want us to have,

non recyclable,
paper/card,
cans/bottles etc,
garden waste.

Is that all?! We have a bin for non-recyclable stuff, heavy duty woven
plastic bag/sack things for respectively paper, cardboard,
tins&plastic. Then there's a rectangular black plastic bin for glass
bottles, and a bin for garden waste, making six containers of various
sorts, in all.

My envy cup runneth over, not.
We have to cope with a black plastic bag and clear plastic bag for
recycling. I don't bother with the bottle box, just use the recycling
bin at the nearby supermarket car park.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Has anyone screwed part of a paving slab to the bottom? You'd need to
place the slab inside, then screw through the base of the bin into the
slab, with very large washers to spread the load.

I thought much the same. Rather than using a paving slab, you could
screw some heavy gauge screws through the base, with large washers to
spread the load, as you suggest, and then empty a bag of postcrete
into the bin, followed by some water to set it off.

I recently had to buy a new bin. They are £50 where I live. So,
experimenting had better not damage the bin too much.

Watching how the bins are inverted and slammed about by the emptying
mechanism, I think a fixed internal weight would soon tear the bin base
apart (and annoy the bin men).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Mar 2019 16:35:51 GMT
Tim+ wrote:

Watching how the bins are inverted and slammed about by the emptying
mechanism, I think a fixed internal weight would soon tear the bin
base apart (and annoy the bin men).

But water would just tip out and drain out the bottom of the truck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Morley wrote:
On 16 Mar 2019 16:35:51 GMT
Tim+ wrote:

Watching how the bins are inverted and slammed about by the emptying
mechanism, I think a fixed internal weight would soon tear the bin
base apart (and annoy the bin men).

But water would just tip out and drain out the bottom of the truck.

Fine, but Im not talking about water. Not sure the bin men would be happy
about everyone loading up their bins with water. Thats a lot of extra work
for them.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Can I chuck unused wheelie bins in a skip? R D S[_2_] UK diy 62 February 13th 19 11:41 PM
wheelie bins Dave UK diy 60 August 14th 10 01:32 AM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant Dave UK diy 3 July 7th 06 11:55 PM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant Guy King UK diy 0 July 7th 06 02:51 PM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant [email protected] UK diy 0 July 7th 06 01:48 PM