Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Stopping wheelie bins from blowing over?

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:55:45 +0000, R D S wrote:

####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to
prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most
people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom, heavy
on top ....

Our green bin was blown over last week, and since it's not being used
(yet) I left it like that ...

There are probably quite a few solutions. However the non-zero cost of
any of them suggests you'll be waiting a long time to see them
implemented.

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the whole
bin ?

Doesnt happen here, no dustmen at all, just the driver of the truck.

Does it save time ?

There's also the rather grey area of liability for any damage a bin does
*after* the nice bin men have emptied it. Maybe one for the legal
bods .....