Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can I chuck unused wheelie bins in a skip?

I can't find an an answer to this, so if anyone knows....

I've 3 wheelie bins that are unused and I want to dispose of, and i've a
skip.

I can't see any problem chucking them in a skip, but then i'm not the
council.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Check your council website they should have a collection scheme so they can be recycled. Our council offered to collect unwanted garden waste bins after imposing a collection charge for the waste.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I've 3 wheelie bins that are unused and I want to dispose of, and i've a
skip.

Presumably they're the property of the council? I'd ask them to
retrieve them, or e.g. if in future they decide to alter the scheme and
want them back because of $REASONS, they might bill you for them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 10:47, R D S wrote:
I can't find an an answer to this, so if anyone knows....

I've 3 wheelie bins that are unused and I want to dispose of, and i've a
skip.

I can't see any problem chucking them in a skip, but then i'm not the
council.

Sticky wicket here, probably not your property to dispose of.

Phone the council and ask ?

If you do skip them and they later ask, act stupid and say "what bins?
we put them out years ago and never saw them again" although admittedly
the possibility of them worrying about where your bins went is a remote
one.

Got to ask though, why skip them, they can be very useful , if not to
you to someone, free-ad in local paper?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
R D S wrote:

I've 3 wheelie bins that are unused and I want to dispose of, and i've a
skip.

Presumably they're the property of the council? I'd ask them to
retrieve them, or e.g. if in future they decide to alter the scheme and
want them back because of $REASONS, they might bill you for them.

After proving you had them of course...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 11:10, soup wrote:

Got to ask though, why skip them, they can be very useful , if not to
you to someone, free-ad in local paper?

Because it will end up like the quantity of blue mains water pipe I
tried to give away, plenty of interest but nobody seeing through to
actually picking it up!

And someone ordered this skip on Tuesday without warning me, i haven't
filled it yet, and miraculously neither has anyone else. Despite it
being on a car park behind some shops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S writes:
I can't find an an answer to this, so if anyone knows....

I've 3 wheelie bins that are unused and I want to dispose of, and i've a
skip.

I can't see any problem chucking them in a skip, but then i'm not the
council.

I think most councils will collect them for free, but you could
start by leaving them outside with a notice on them asking anyone
who needs one to take it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message ...
I can't find an an answer to this, so if anyone knows....

I've 3 wheelie bins that are unused and I want to dispose of, and i've a skip.

I can't see any problem chucking them in a skip, but then i'm not the council.

If the 3 wheeelie bins were allocated to an address for which you personally are
paying the Community Charge , and you haven't reported them as missing then I'd
be very wary of disposing of them without giving the Council adequate notice,
a fact which you can subsequently prove,

Again what the Council might regard as "adequate notice" may be a matter of
interpretation by a Court.

Basically money is tight. And any Council which had the opportunity to charge
Community Charge Payers the full retail price for 3 wheelie bins (as charged by
a Hi-Fi supplier for instance) would doubtless jump at the chance.

Whether they bother to check or not is another matter. But if you should have had
3 wheelie bins and didn't get them, or have subsequently had them stolen then
this should have been reported to the Council at the time. If it weasn't then as far as
the Council are concerned you should stil be in possession of the three wheelie
bins

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" Wrote in message:

"R D S" wrote in message ...
I can't find an an answer to this, so if anyone knows....

I've 3 wheelie bins that are unused and I want to dispose of, and i've a skip.

I can't see any problem chucking them in a skip, but then i'm not the council.

If the 3 wheeelie bins were allocated to

Snip "counsel's opinion",

"Someone's nicked em guv, bloody kids, strong winds, pikeys etc etc"

Ultimately just how much time (& money) are 3 secondhand wheelie
bins worth?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup expressed precisely :
If you do skip them and they later ask, act stupid and say "what bins?
we put them out years ago and never saw them again" although admittedly
the possibility of them worrying about where your bins went is a remote
one.

Got to ask though, why skip them, they can be very useful , if not to
you to someone, free-ad in local paper?

Yep!

Our new green bin soon lost its lid in the truck which empties them, I
rang the council asked them to supply a new lid and they dropped off a
complete new bin. I repurposed the lid-less one as a handy building
sand store, kept under cover at the back of the garden.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message ...
I can't find an an answer to this, so if anyone knows....

I've 3 wheelie bins that are unused and I want to dispose of, and i've a skip.

I can't see any problem chucking them in a skip, but then i'm not the council.

If the 3 wheeelie bins were allocated to

Snip "counsel's opinion",

"Someone's nicked em guv, bloody kids, strong winds, pikeys etc etc"

So why wasn't this reported at the time ?

And supposing some public spirited Council Tax payer just happens to
notify the Council of this skip with the three wheelie bins in it ?
Which quite possibly, to their way of thinking, the Council should come
and retrieve. A fact that the OP might be completely unaware of the
time.

What is going to be your convenient lie in that instance, when confronted
with the facts ?

That the wind just happened to blow them into the skip ? And then
you just happened to forget to report them missing ?

There's no doubt that lying through one's teeth may indeed confer
positive benefits in some instances, at least until found out.

But in this instance, all the OP need do is to inform the Council.

He could have course have informed the Council at any time; only
the question of disposing of the wheelie bins only entered his
head at all with the arrival of the skip. Which isn't the
best solution for the reasons given.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 13:40, michael adams wrote:

But in this instance, all the OP need do is to inform the Council.

All? You've plainly never phoned our council.

Anyway curiosity got the better of me and I have my answer.
It turns out our council want to come and collect old unused bins, they
will call me back to make an appointment!

The **** they claim to have no money for but they'll arrange
appointments to drive around collecting battered old bins.

The mind boggles!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 11:45:28 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 17/01/2019 11:10, soup wrote:

Got to ask though, why skip them, they can be very useful , if not to
you to someone, free-ad in local paper?

Because it will end up like the quantity of blue mains water pipe I
tried to give away, plenty of interest but nobody seeing through to
actually picking it up!

And someone ordered this skip on Tuesday without warning me, i haven't
filled it yet, and miraculously neither has anyone else. Despite it
being on a car park behind some shops.

Compromise? Leave them beside the skip then if anyone wants them,
they can take them. Someone might think they are part of the skip
process anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many councils use bye laws to impose fines on residents such as consistently overloading bins, leaving bins out on non-collection days and I should imagine includes disposing of council property. What happens if you do not pay the fines I do not know? However it would not be beyond the bounds of becoming a criminal offence then.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message ...
[...]

What to you are "facts" are going to be unprovable in the court
that you appear keen to impress... & at what cost to the
taxpayer? More or less than three wheelie bins worth?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ask the council if they want them, if they are undamaged and belong to you,
and aare not colours the council use, you will find lots of people might buy
them if they are cheap enough for their garden waste etc. I've even been
told that some people cut a panel out of the side and end up with a
wheelable compost bin. I guess you would nned to bore holes in it though.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
I can't find an an answer to this, so if anyone knows....

I've 3 wheelie bins that are unused and I want to dispose of, and i've a
skip.

I can't see any problem chucking them in a skip, but then i'm not the
council.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
Ask the council if they want them, if they are undamaged and belong to you,
and aare not colours the council use, you will find lots of people might buy
them if they are cheap enough for their garden waste etc. I've even been
told that some people cut a panel out of the side and end up with a
wheelable compost bin. I guess you would nned to bore holes in it though.

Brian

An excellent point Brian, perhaps m'lud michael would care to
consider the situation where, having had the first bin(s) stolen,
the ones in question were purchased by the homeowner.

Shurely the purchaser would be entitled to do what they want with
those bins?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
Ask the council if they want them, if they are undamaged
and belong to you,

An excellent point Brian, perhaps m'lud michael would care to
consider the situation where, having had the first bin(s) stolen,
the ones in question were purchased by the homeowner.

Name one Local Authority in the UK where homeowners are required
to purchase replacement wheelie bins in the event of their
reporting their own bin having been lost or stolen ? Rather than
replacements being provided free of charge.

Which while it may allow the more enterprising if dishonest
homeowner to re-use their original "lost" bin for some other
purpose, is still preferable to encouraging a situation a
where a flourishing black market in stolen wheelie bins
could develop.

This however has nothing to do with a situation where a
Council might identify a useful revenue stream, in charging
homeowners for lost wheelie bins which were never reported
to them.

Whereas if the OP reports these three wheelie bins as
having been stolen, then all that will happen is that the Council
will supply him with another three.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
Ask the council if they want them, if they are undamaged
and belong to you,

An excellent point Brian, perhaps m'lud michael would care to
consider the situation where, having had the first bin(s) stolen,
the ones in question were purchased by the homeowner.

Name one Local Authority in the UK where homeowners are required
to purchase replacement wheelie bins in the event of their
reporting their own bin having been lost or stolen ? Rather than
replacements being provided free of charge.

York

Which while it may allow the more enterprising if dishonest
homeowner to re-use their original "lost" bin for some other
purpose, is still preferable to encouraging a situation a
where a flourishing black market in stolen wheelie bins
could develop.

If it doesn't already.

This however has nothing to do with a situation where a
Council might identify a useful revenue stream, in charging
homeowners for lost wheelie bins which were never reported
to them.

My your imagination is working hard today!

You seem keen to carefully snip & avoid any "real world" figures
in your pipe dreamings...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"michael adams" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
Ask the council if they want them, if they are undamaged
and belong to you,

An excellent point Brian, perhaps m'lud michael would care to
consider the situation where, having had the first bin(s) stolen,
the ones in question were purchased by the homeowner.

Name one Local Authority in the UK where homeowners are required
to purchase replacement wheelie bins in the event of their
reporting their own bin having been lost or stolen ? Rather than
replacements being provided free of charge.

York

Fair enough; I stand corrected.

So that in the case of the OP, if he remembers having paid his local
authority the full cost* of the three replacement bins, then he can
safely dump them in the skip.

But if that were the case then I somehow doubt he would have needed
to ask the question in the first place. Or are you going to argue about
that, as well ?

michael adams

*Some local authorities do simply charge an administation fee; in
which case, unlike with York the bin remains the Council's property.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 17/01/2019 10:47, R D S wrote:
I can't find an an answer to this, so if anyone knows....

I've 3 wheelie bins that are unused and I want to dispose of, and i've a
skip.

I can't see any problem chucking them in a skip, but then i'm not the
council.

Fill them with cardboard and set fire to them.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"michael adams" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
Ask the council if they want them, if they are undamaged
and belong to you,

An excellent point Brian, perhaps m'lud michael would care to
consider the situation where, having had the first bin(s) stolen,
the ones in question were purchased by the homeowner.

Name one Local Authority in the UK where homeowners are required
to purchase replacement wheelie bins in the event of their
reporting their own bin having been lost or stolen ? Rather than
replacements being provided free of charge.

York

Fair enough; I stand corrected.

Indeed.

So that in the case of the OP, if he remembers having paid his local
authority the full cost* of the three replacement bins, then he can
safely dump them in the skip.

What if the previous owners bought them & left them when they moved?

But if that were the case then I somehow doubt he would have needed
to ask the question in the first place. Or are you going to argue about
that, as well ?

Arguing? Merely correcting your wafty
assumptions m'lud...

*Some local authorities do simply charge an administation fee; in
which case, unlike with York the bin remains the Council's property.

No example I note... BICBA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
soup expressed precisely :
If you do skip them and they later ask, act stupid and say "what bins?
we put them out years ago and never saw them again" although admittedly
the possibility of them worrying about where your bins went is a remote
one.

Got to ask though, why skip them, they can be very useful , if not to
you to someone, free-ad in local paper?

Yep!

Our new green bin soon lost its lid in the truck which empties them, I
rang the council asked them to supply a new lid and they dropped off a
complete new bin. I repurposed the lid-less one as a handy building
sand store, kept under cover at the back of the garden.

We have a bin whose acquisition a decade had its origins in a neighbour
dispute by a relative and someone
who kept thinking a right access of over a relatives driveway stretched to
blocking it with a permanently stationed wheelie bin and other
obstructions. The relative took direct action and we moved it two hundred
miles away shortly after.

At the time the missis was wanting to experiment with making liquid compost
from Comfrey leafs soaked in water for a few weeks, fitting a water butt
tap to the wheelie bin makes it a good processor for this.
Any one who has ever made this solution will know the odour is disgusting
so just bunging leaves and water in the top as required and closing the
lid and draining the liquid feed out from the tap keeps it to a minimum
and when the time comes to empty the remaining sludge out it can be wheeled
up to a spot as far away as possible or tipped onto a normal compost heap.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
Ask the council if they want them, if they are undamaged and belong to
you,
and aare not colours the council use, you will find lots of people might
buy
them if they are cheap enough for their garden waste etc. I've even been
told that some people cut a panel out of the side and end up with a
wheelable compost bin. I guess you would nned to bore holes in it though.

Brian

An excellent point Brian, perhaps m'lud michael would care to
consider the situation where, having had the first bin(s) stolen,
the ones in question were purchased by the homeowner.

Shurely the purchaser would be entitled to do what they want with
those bins?

Not when he paid the council because he allowed their bins to be stolen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17/01/2019 10:51, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 10:47:00 +0000, R D S wrote:

I can't find an an answer to this, so if anyone knows....

I've 3 wheelie bins that are unused and I want to dispose of, and i've a
skip.

I can't see any problem chucking them in a skip, but then i'm not the
council.

Freecycle them. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who
would make good use of them.

I've just paid £50 to get one delivered by the council, so, yes, please
freecycle any superfluous ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
Ask the council if they want them, if they are undamaged
and belong to you,

Name one Local Authority in the UK where homeowners are required
to purchase replacement wheelie bins in the event of their
reporting their own bin having been lost or stolen ? Rather than
replacements being provided free of charge.

https://www.southampton.gov.uk/bins-.../lost-bin.aspx

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote on 17/01/2019 :
Name one Local Authority in the UK where homeowners are required
to purchase replacement wheelie bins in the event of their
reporting their own bin having been lost or stolen ?

Leeds..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:

"michael adams" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"michael adams" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
[...]

My understanding is that a 'delivery charge' is near universal among
councils which wish to charge at all. It avoids all disputes about
price and quality and it suits the council to remain the owner.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 14:11, R D S wrote:
On 17/01/2019 13:40, michael adams wrote:

But in this instance, all the OP need do is to inform the Council.

All? You've plainly never phoned our council.

Anyway curiosity got the better of me and I have my answer.
It turns out our council want to come and collect old unused bins, they
will call me back to make an appointment!

The **** they claim to have no money for but they'll arrange
appointments to drive around collecting battered old bins.

The mind boggles!

Ours supplies compostable bags for their food waste collections. They
used to carry a supply on the bin wagon and when you were running low,
you indicated that you needed more by tying one to the bin handle on bin
day and they'd leave a roll by the bin.

Now you have to phone them or use their website and they have them
delivered by courier or send out a van!!!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 17:48, michael adams wrote:
"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
Ask the council if they want them, if they are undamaged
and belong to you,

An excellent point Brian, perhaps m'lud michael would care to
consider the situation where, having had the first bin(s) stolen,
the ones in question were purchased by the homeowner.

Name one Local Authority in the UK where homeowners are required
to purchase replacement wheelie bins in the event of their
reporting their own bin having been lost or stolen ? Rather than
replacements being provided free of charge.

Trafford charges £28 per bin or £97 for all four. This applies to lost,
stolen or damaged bins or if you move into a house with no bins. The
ONLY free replacement is if the bin wagon equipment damages the bin
(assuming that the crew actually record the damage).

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I can't find an an answer to this, so if anyone knows....

I've 3 wheelie bins that are unused and I want to dispose of, and i've a
skip.

I can't see any problem chucking them in a skip, but then i'm not the
council.

Why?they are the most useful things around, give them away you will have
no end of takers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
FMurtz wrote:

I can't see any problem chucking them in a skip, but then i'm not the
council.

Why?they are the most useful things around, give them away you will have
no end of takers.

I agree! I rarely put the bin out without marvelling at its design: I
would say that as a work of functional engineering art, it's perfect: a
_fantastic_ invention.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 08:19:15 +0000, Another John
wrote:

In article ,
FMurtz wrote:

I can't see any problem chucking them in a skip, but then i'm not the
council.

Why?they are the most useful things around, give them away you will have
no end of takers.

I agree! I rarely put the bin out without marvelling at its design: I
would say that as a work of functional engineering art, it's perfect: a
_fantastic_ invention.

There were ~10,000 new wheely bins in the local council yard recently
and I watched them 'delivering' some to customers (inc us). ;-)

V large van pulls up and they slide a stack of bins out onto the road.
They are leapt on by several guys, de-stacked, arranged side-by-side
in the middle of the road axle side upwards. A wheel was pushed onto
one end of the axle, axle threaded though bin and the other wheel
thumped on. The bins were stood up and pulled 2 at a time to each
house.

Rinse - repeat over the entire borough. ;-)

I understand the old bins are shredded and recycled (along with any
new old-style / colour / phone number / logo bins that never got
used).

Ironically, we generally use a large bin bag in our kitchen bin and
then fill that with the smaller bins as needed when lifted out. We
then put that bag in the wheely bin. It seems they often find it
quicker / easier to just lift the bag out of the bin and throw it in
the back of the truck (old skool stylee) than to wheel the bin out and
hook it onto the lifting mech on the truck and put the bin back.

When out walking the fog it never fails to amaze us how many people
really don't get the whole refuse / recycling thing. Bins overflowing
with the lid open (they often won't collect such). Smaller plastics
box overfilled with non-crushed large coke bottles or cans. Non
flattened cardboard boxes stood by the cardboard bin.

A bugbear is people putting their (non green) rubbish in our green
bin. OK, I'm glad they make the effort rather than just dropping it on
the ground but that means we have to fish their rubbish out of an
often otherwise empty (so deep) wheely bin to put it in the right
place. ;-(

I wonder how many here clear litter from the street near our homes
(between any Council cleaners)? A few of us round here do, 1) because
it looks untidy and 2) if you don't it seems to invite others to add
to it? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It is a way of advertising that "Thick People Live Here". I once managed
to get a Micra Tailgate into a bin and have also managed a dishwasher. Many
struggle to cope with a cardboard box.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 09:54:40 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:
snip

It is a way of advertising that "Thick People Live Here".

Along with the 60" TV box stood outside their houses in one piece.

I once managed
to get a Micra Tailgate into a bin and have also managed a dishwasher.

LOL!

Many
struggle to cope with a cardboard box.

So it seems. The worst I have seen was a complete near Eurobin sized
cardboard box upside down inside the Eurobin for cardboard recycling,
outside the Council Offices. I pulled it out, turned it over and put
all my cardboard inside it.

I also understand the local council have also given up on bundling up
plastic bottles for recycling because of just how much unwanted
plastic is put with the wanted.

So whereas they used to get a good price per truckload of 'quality'
plastic they now get next to nothing for a load of polluted stuff,
simply because they don't have the staff to do what the households
should do (properly) in the first place. ;-(

I think someone from every household should be expected to visit the
local recycling / incinerator / landfill sites before they get given a
bin. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

A bugbear is people putting their (non green) rubbish in our green
bin. OK, I'm glad they make the effort rather than just dropping it on
the ground but that means we have to fish their rubbish out of an
often otherwise empty (so deep) wheely bin to put it in the right
place. ;-(

I wonder how many here clear litter from the street near our homes
(between any Council cleaners)? A few of us round here do, 1) because
it looks untidy and 2) if you don't it seems to invite others to add
to it? ;-(

Well it is only a quiet village so I do and it ,usually on going to and
from the allotments or walking one of the residents dogs if they need a
hand. (We get the companionship without the bills). A couple of others I
see pick
up while walking by as well.
That is in addition to a good twice a year community clean where a map of
the vicinity is put on the village notice board with the local roads split
into sections, you choose a section pick up one of the litter picker grabs
and some bags and go along the chosen section. If you are happy it is done
you put your name on the section meaning it has been done, if you havent
cleared it you dont mark it and hope someone else will complete.
I tend to follow on the second day and as I have my own picker which is
extra long* often reach items that others could not .
Once done a crisp packet , coffee cup,bottle stand out but picking them up
regularly keeps it under control
.. Crisps etc come from local kids who are generally quite good but let them
escape from pockets, Coffee cups you can tell by the branding have been
brought in at least 9 miles so probably from cars. And Im sorry cyclists
but far too many of you think that dressing in a replica team strip from
the Tour de France etc entitles you to throw their empty water bottles into
the verge as seen on those races , except here there is no clean up
operation following them.

* Extra long because it was bought to reach fallen leaves in a largish pond
or higher sprigs of elderflower that others cant reach.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

It is a way of advertising that "Thick People Live

I think someone from every household should be expected to visit the
local recycling / incinerator / landfill sites before they get given a
bin. ;-)

For some especially fly tippers it should be a one way journey.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"michael adams" Wrote in message:

Name one Local Authority in the UK where homeowners are required
to purchase replacement wheelie bins in the event of their
reporting their own bin having been lost or stolen ? Rather than
replacements being provided free of charge.

York

As you've clearly done a lot of research on this, can you
explain why the Household Waste Recycling Centre in York is
named after the pulchritudinous 1960's TV and film actress
("Dick and the Dutchess", Hammer Horrors, etc ) Hazel Court ?

Did she live in York at some point I wonder ? Or did she have a
particular interest in Household Waste Recycling maybe ?

Whatever the answer, at least it's nice to know that she's not
been forgotten.

https://www.york.gov.uk/HazelCourtHWRC

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jan 2019 11:53:34 GMT, Marland
wrote:

T i m wrote:

It is a way of advertising that "Thick People Live

I think someone from every household should be expected to visit the
local recycling / incinerator / landfill sites before they get given a
bin. ;-)

For some especially fly tippers it should be a one way journey.

LOL, I like it!

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jan 2019 11:50:20 GMT, Marland
wrote:

T i m wrote:

A bugbear is people putting their (non green) rubbish in our green
bin. OK, I'm glad they make the effort rather than just dropping it on
the ground but that means we have to fish their rubbish out of an
often otherwise empty (so deep) wheely bin to put it in the right
place. ;-(

I wonder how many here clear litter from the street near our homes
(between any Council cleaners)? A few of us round here do, 1) because
it looks untidy and 2) if you don't it seems to invite others to add
to it? ;-(

Well it is only a quiet village so I do and it ,usually on going to and
from the allotments or walking one of the residents dogs if they need a
hand. (We get the companionship without the bills). A couple of others I
see pick
up while walking by as well.

Nice.

That is in addition to a good twice a year community clean where a map of
the vicinity is put on the village notice board with the local roads split
into sections, you choose a section pick up one of the litter picker grabs
and some bags and go along the chosen section.

Nice setup. Daughter has helped arrange similar in our local park.

If you are happy it is done
you put your name on the section meaning it has been done, if you haven’t
cleared it you don’t mark it and hope someone else will complete.

Fair enough. Every little helps etc.

I tend to follow on the second day and as I have my own picker which is
extra long* often reach items that others could not .

Show off. ;-)

Once done a crisp packet , coffee cup,bottle stand out but picking them up
regularly keeps it under control

I've often been impressed by the skill of our Council litter pickers
watching them pickup a mostly flattened dog-end with little in the way
of effort.

. Crisps etc come from local kids who are generally quite good but let them
escape from pockets,

They could be trained to roll then tie them up in a knot. They take up
less room in their pockets and the bin and are less likely to blow
about, even if dropped.

Coffee cups you can tell by the branding have been
brought in at least 9 miles so probably from cars.

My Mums house was about a small portion of chips away from the chippy
and opposite a bus stop.

And I’m sorry cyclists
but far too many of you think that dressing in a replica team strip from
the Tour de France etc entitles you to throw their empty water bottles into
the verge as seen on those races , except here there is no clean up
operation following them.

I can't say I've seen that but can believe it happens. ;-(

* Extra long because it was bought to reach fallen leaves in a largish pond
or higher sprigs of elderflower that others can’t reach.

I'll have to look out for one of those, sounds very handy (even with
my long arms). ;-).

Cheers, T i m

wheelie bins Dave UK diy 60 August 14th 10 12:32 AM
Can you save $ by shutting steam radiators in unused rooms? rebbor Home Repair 2 December 4th 06 02:47 AM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant Dave UK diy 3 July 7th 06 10:55 PM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant [email protected] UK diy 0 July 7th 06 12:48 PM
TV REPAIR CRTS, PCBS, PARTS, NEW UNUSED PARTS FOR SALE, MAKE US A OFFER, WE CAN SHIP WITH-IN 24 HOURS User Electronics Repair 7 December 19th 05 03:31 PM