Old March 15th 19, 05:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stopping wheelie bins from blowing over?

####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

Old March 15th 19, 06:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd just like to stop them rolling along like land based sailing boats down
the pavement.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to

Old March 15th 19, 06:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:55:45 +0000, R D S wrote:

####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to
prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most
people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom, heavy
on top ....

Our green bin was blown over last week, and since it's not being used
(yet) I left it like that ...

There are probably quite a few solutions. However the non-zero cost of
any of them suggests you'll be waiting a long time to see them
implemented.

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the whole
bin ? Does it save time ?

There's also the rather grey area of liability for any damage a bin does
*after* the nice bin men have emptied it. Maybe one for the legal
bods .....
Old March 15th 19, 06:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 16:55, R D S wrote:
####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

Tell me about it.
I've tried without success to find a "sweet" spot out of the vortex. My
bins and the next-door neighbour's bins always blow over but
next-door-but-one's never do. If I could only put our back gardens in a
smoke filled wind tunnel and see what's going on here....

I've bought some webbing with ratchet tensioning and plan to put a few
eye bolts into the wall and lash the bins to that but -erme- it's a bit
too windy to do that at the moment!

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

Tell me about it.
But here in Kirklees the third bin is optional and for garden waste and
I recycle all of mine. The leafy stuff gets composted and the woody
stuff gets processed throughout the summer to make it suitable for
burning indoors during the next winter.

Nick
Old March 15th 19, 06:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:27, Nick Odell wrote:
But here in Kirklees the third bin is optional and for garden waste

Well, I say third, we have an optional garden one too which I don't
bother with, so actually a forth potentially.

They want us to have,

non recyclable,
paper/card,
cans/bottles etc,
garden waste.

Old March 15th 19, 06:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to
prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most
people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom, heavy
on top ....

Good idea.

Over the course of the fortnight in-between emptying the recycling bin,
i'll drink spirits in the first week, putting the heavy glass in first,
and have any mixers in the plastic bottles in week 2.

Nice one, problem solved.

Old March 15th 19, 07:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:53:57 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to
prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most
people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom,
heavy on top ....

Good idea.

Over the course of the fortnight in-between emptying the recycling bin,
i'll drink spirits in the first week, putting the heavy glass in first,
and have any mixers in the plastic bottles in week 2.

Nice one, problem solved.

Good old British ingenuity !
Old March 15th 19, 07:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:47, R D S wrote:

forth potentially.

Fourth, of course.
Old March 15th 19, 07:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/03/2019 16:55, R D S wrote:
####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

Has anyone screwed part of a paving slab to the bottom? You'd need to
place the slab inside, then screw through the base of the bin into the
slab, with very large washers to spread the load.

There could be safety issues, as the empty bins will be heavier than the
binmen expect.
Old March 15th 19, 07:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 18:06:40 +0000, GB
wrote:

Has anyone screwed part of a paving slab to the bottom? You'd need to
place the slab inside, then screw through the base of the bin into the
slab, with very large washers to spread the load.

I thought much the same. Rather than using a paving slab, you could
screw some heavy gauge screws through the base, with large washers to
spread the load, as you suggest, and then empty a bag of postcrete
into the bin, followed by some water to set it off.

--

Chris

Can I chuck unused wheelie bins in a skip? R D S[_2_] UK diy 62 February 13th 19 11:41 PM
wheelie bins Dave UK diy 60 August 14th 10 01:32 AM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant Dave UK diy 3 July 7th 06 11:55 PM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant Guy King UK diy 0 July 7th 06 02:51 PM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant [email protected] UK diy 0 July 7th 06 01:48 PM