Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wheelie bins

I was idly watching the refuse collection this morning and one thing
that struck me was the amount of time it takes to empty just one of
them. Take the bin to the back of the wagon, hook it up and press the
button for the rise, wait for it to empty and then want for it to be
dropped off again, then return the bin to the edge of the property.

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know they
were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk could
have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to drop the
bin bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for collection.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
I was idly watching the refuse collection this morning and one thing that
struck me was the amount of time it takes to empty just one of them. Take
the bin to the back of the wagon, hook it up and press the button for the
rise, wait for it to empty and then want for it to be dropped off again,
then return the bin to the edge of the property.

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know they
were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk could
have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to drop the bin
bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for collection.

Dave

but that required manual handling with the risk of repetitive strain
injuries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
I was idly watching the refuse collection this morning and one thing
that struck me was the amount of time it takes to empty just one of
them. Take the bin to the back of the wagon, hook it up and press the
button for the rise, wait for it to empty and then want for it to be
dropped off again, then return the bin to the edge of the property.

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know they
were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk could
have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to drop the
bin bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for collection.

Dave

Of course it was more efficient. But it took at least 5 jobs to be
created to determine to use wheelie bins, evaluate their safety, order
them, get them to households, and re-equip the trucks to use them, not
to mention the extra jobs created to load them, daily. And of course
paste the stickers on refusing to collect them because they have the
wrong sort of rubbish in, or too much of the right sort of rubbish.

This is called 'investing in people' and any right minded (sic!) left
wing government knows that this wins votes and keeps the unemployment
statistics down.

I mean what else are these poor employees going to do? relocate to an
Indian call centre?

They haven't enough education, for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-08-06 14:52:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Dave wrote:
[...]

TBH, all the binmen I've seen in the last few years look like they work
bloody hard - they seem to be constantly running grabbing bin bags,
wheelie bins etc. (I assume because they don't get paid by the hour
but by the route.)

I'm glad that our council (Powys) seem to have quietly dropped
suggestions of wheelie bins which they mooted at one point. Their
recent proganda/newletter said that 94% of people were happy with the
refuse service, which made me worry that they were about to meddle with
it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags.

Priorities.

It's far quicker and less hassle for me - the householder, the council
tax payer - to deal with a wheelie bin.

And - as far as I'm concerned, and especially when I look at that monthly
direct debit on my bank statement - I'm FAR more important than the bloke
who empties the bins.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

If I remember correctly, the first wheelie bins were brought in to cut down
on the number of weekly collections (bigger bins and bigger lorries) and to
reduce the number of lorries on three road, the number of people in the crew
(in the case of my then LA - they reduced the crews from 5 men to 3) and
then increased the size of the rounds to fill the lorries - and all this was
done as the results of a right-wing Tory government run by a witch called
Thatcher (who has since spawned son-of-Thatcher -- Cameron along with his
lapdogs Cleggie and the half-bake Osborn - [just realised, you could call
that lot the First of The Summer wine - and that usually tastes like ****]).

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
Dave gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags.

Priorities.

It's far quicker and less hassle for me - the householder, the council
tax payer - to deal with a wheelie bin.

And - as far as I'm concerned, and especially when I look at that monthly
direct debit on my bank statement - I'm FAR more important than the bloke
who empties the bins.

Keep quiet - or we may end up with a "recycling centre" at the end of each
road like they have in some mainland countries.

Before anyone suggests it is a good idea - consider what it would be like if
it was sited outside your home.

http://www.heynwaste.co.uk/underground.aspx

http://www.nordengineering.com/UK/easy_underground.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave writes:
I was idly watching the refuse collection this morning and one thing
that struck me was the amount of time it takes to empty just one of
them. Take the bin to the back of the wagon, hook it up and press the
button for the rise, wait for it to empty and then want for it to be
dropped off again, then return the bin to the edge of the property.

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know they
were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk could
have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to drop the
bin bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for collection.

A neighbour uses a bin liner in their wheelie bin, and the
collection guys always just lift that out and leave the bin
where it is. They usually carry the bin liner to the next
wheelie bin in the road and drop it in (or on top).
I use carrier bags as kitchen bin liners. If I bother to
put my wheelie bin out with just 2 or 3 bags in the bottom,
likewise, they lift them out and carry them up the road.

So it looks like they agree with you.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
I was idly watching the refuse collection this morning and one thing
that struck me was the amount of time it takes to empty just one of
them. Take the bin to the back of the wagon, hook it up and press the
button for the rise, wait for it to empty and then want for it to be
dropped off again, then return the bin to the edge of the property.

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know
they were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk
could have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to
drop the bin bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for
collection.

I agree, but why stop there? - the plastic box would have to have a lid,
otherwise meat and bones etc would attract flies and vermin, and if it did
have a lid, there wouldn't be any need for the refuse to be bagged, thus
saving the council tax payer money, as the council wouldn't have to supply
thousands of bin bags every week, but then it would probably be a pain in
the arse to lift up, but if handles were fitted it would make things much
easier.... except for pensioners and pregnant women etc... but if small
wheels were attatched to the bottom, the whole thing might just work, why
not write to your local council and tell them?

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2010 14:48, John wrote:
wrote in message
I was idly watching the refuse collection this morning and one thing that
struck me was the amount of time it takes to empty just one of them. Take
the bin to the back of the wagon, hook it up and press the button for the
rise, wait for it to empty and then want for it to be dropped off again,
then return the bin to the edge of the property.

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know they
were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk could
have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to drop the bin
bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for collection.

Dave

but that required manual handling with the risk of repetitive strain
injuries.

That didn't bother them before wheelie bins.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
[...]

Not the least bit cynical are you :-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-08-06 16:57:51 +0100, Tim Streater said:

In article ,
Piers Finlayson wrote:

I'm glad that our council (Powys) seem to have quietly dropped
suggestions of wheelie bins which they mooted at one point. Their
recent proganda/newletter said that 94% of people were happy with the
refuse service, which made me worry that they were about to meddle with
it!

Well, if you want to pay more that's fine by me.

What I don't want to do is wheel a wheelie bin 100 yards up and down a
steep, uneven drive every week. Dumping bin bags suits me just fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Piers Finlayson :
What I don't want to do is wheel a wheelie bin 100 yards up and down a
steep, uneven drive every week.

Do what a friend of mine did - drive it there by popping the handle over
your tow hook.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

but that required manual handling with the risk of repetitive strain
injuries.

That didn't bother them before wheelie bins.

Quite. When I were a lad the bin man would go through to the back garden,
pick up the metal bin, carry it on his back to the road, tip it over his
shoulder into the bin waggon then put the bin back where he found it in the
back garden.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 21:10:27 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

Piers Finlayson :
What I don't want to do is wheel a wheelie bin 100 yards up and down a
steep, uneven drive every week.

Do what a friend of mine did - drive it there by popping the handle over
your tow hook.

When I was in hospital last week I was fascinated by the motor
attachments for the beds, steered and controlled by a pistol grip handle.
Perhaps someone ought to market one to attach to a wheelie bin...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:

Dave gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags.

Priorities.

It's far quicker and less hassle for me - the householder, the council
tax payer - to deal with a wheelie bin.

And - as far as I'm concerned, and especially when I look at that
monthly direct debit on my bank statement - I'm FAR more important
than the bloke who empties the bins.

This is 100% correct, as opposed to TNP's nonsense elsewhere in the thread.

The simple fact is that the bin is much better for the *consumer*, and
that is what counts. We only need put our black bin out once a month
because we don't generate enough stuff to require it to go out every
other week. The bin can sit around and because it closes completely,
unlike plastic sacks, it doesn't smell.

What tosh. The flies and maggots get in the bin no worries. Plastic bags
DO close completely if you tied them.

We only produce one sack with the recyclables every two weeks, too,
unlike e.g. Bob Eager who seems to produce four with only twice as many
people.

Further, having bins means we can get rid of at least some of the garden
waste every other week. Try shoving *that* in plastic sacks.

No we shove it in the garden where it belongs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
I was idly watching the refuse collection this morning and one thing that
struck me was the amount of time it takes to empty just one of them. Take
the bin to the back of the wagon, hook it up and press the button for the
rise, wait for it to empty and then want for it to be dropped off again,
then return the bin to the edge of the property.

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know they
were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk could
have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to drop the bin
bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for collection.

So how many bags does it take to hold the 240l in a wheelie bin's contents?
10?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message

We only produce one sack with the recyclables every two weeks, too, unlike
e.g. Bob Eager who seems to produce four with only twice as many people.

Further, having bins means we can get rid of at least some of the garden
waste every other week. Try shoving *that* in plastic sacks.

Your LA hasn't got the idea that recycled garden waste counts towards the
target for recycling yet?
We get a weekly bin collection, they come and collect the bin and then put
it back somewhere on the property,
then we have a wheelie for recyclables which are post sorted and collected
fortnightly,
and a wheelie for garden stuff to be recycled collected fortnightly in the
summer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
Dave wrote:

but that required manual handling with the risk of repetitive strain
injuries.

That didn't bother them before wheelie bins.

Quite. When I were a lad the bin man would go through to the back
garden, pick up the metal bin, carry it on his back to the road, tip
it over his shoulder into the bin waggon then put the bin back where
he found it in the back garden.

Same here. And no pikeys running around after the binmen offering to clean
the bin for £2 with their pressure washer.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 6 Aug,
Tim Streater wrote:

Further, having bins means we can get rid of at least some of the garden
waste every other week. Try shoving *that* in plastic sacks.

Some people are lucky. We have clear plastic bags (so they can see if there's
anything not allowwed in them) for garden waste. Our neighbours' gardener
comes the day after they are taken, so we have a dozen or more rotting bags
on the pavement for13 days.

For tins and cans we have a (three actually) blue boxes, lidless things
attracting vermin.

For cardboard and plastic we have a (two) small white bags which fill in
about 3 days.

For paper we have another (blue) bag.

Anything else we have a wheely bin emptied weekly. all else gets emptied
fortnightly, on alternate weeks if we remember which week it is correctly.

Our utility room is full of recycling bags, we can't put them it else they'll
be raided by foxes, cats, dogs, rats, avian scroungers etc.

How I wish we had wheely bins for all!

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
I was idly watching the refuse collection this morning and one thing that
struck me was the amount of time it takes to empty just one of them. Take
the bin to the back of the wagon, hook it up and press the button for the
rise, wait for it to empty and then want for it to be dropped off again,
then return the bin to the edge of the property.

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know they
were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk could
have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to drop the bin
bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for collection.

Dave

Where I live we have plastic bags, which I have to remember to leave out.
In the 'good old days' the dustbin men collected the bin from the back door,
emptied it and returned it.

We use two plastic bags per week, a clear one for recycle stuff and a black
one for everything else.
These bags are only used once, unlike supermarket bags which are used at
least twice, once to leave the supermarket and once as peddle bin liners.

I suspect that far more plastic is used per week in the government provided
bags, than in the ones that the government are trying to stop the
supermarkets providing.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
On 06/08/2010 22:55, dennis@home wrote:

So how many bags does it take to hold the 240l in a wheelie bin's
contents? 10?

What's a 2401?

Dave

240 litres, the size of a standard wheelie bin.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Always happens, The cause and effect/effect... leading to the origional
point being missed.
eg. some well meaning eurobod proposes less landfill= great for the
environment. So far so good.
Enforcement? well by financial penalty of course.
LA dont want penalties so devise extra rounds for new diesel spewers to
collect unwanted supposed recyclables, target reached no penalties.
What of the origional good idea for the environment? Anybodies guess. We the
punters meanwhile are spoonfed crap vis glass/tin/paper/board to protect a
thoroughly deficient system.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:

[...]

We don't get flies in our bins as long as anything that attracts them
(not much, seeing as the food waste is composted) is bagged (which it
is as it will normally be kitchen packaging that goes in the kitchen bin
first)

Plastic bags DO close completely if you tied them.

Yeah, but you still need somewhere to put the bag - so it might as well
be a wheelie bin as anything else. I'd much rather have a bin with bags
in, than dumping bags out on the street the night before, which decide
to split them selves or would end up getting torn by animals. Yes it
could be a traditional dustbin, but a wheelie bin suits me fine.

I like that I can chuck in random bits if rubbish without needing to bag
it up as well.

We only produce one sack with the recyclables every two weeks, too,
unlike e.g. Bob Eager who seems to produce four with only twice as
many people.
Further, having bins means we can get rid of at least some of the
garden waste every other week. Try shoving *that* in plastic sacks.

No we shove it in the garden where it belongs.

Most of our stuff goes on the compost heaps, but something like
brambles, rose pruning's etc. I'd rather not, as the prickles last in
the compst for ages. Or sometimes woody stuff I'd rather just get rid
of. Yeah I can burn it. But sticking it in the green waste bin is fine.

I much prefer the wheelie bins (though I can why some don't - eg rather
less convenient for the terraced cottages next to us with no drive and
no rear access). My only complaint with the process really is that the
council make a fuss about people not putting the bins out to early,
leaving at the edge of your property etc. And then the bin men come
along and leave them scattered all over the pavement. Lots of course
staying there all day until the householder returns from work etc.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 7, 1:43 am, Dave wrote:
I was idly watching the refuse collection this morning and one thing
that struck me was the amount of time it takes to empty just one of
them. Take the bin to the back of the wagon, hook it up and press the
button for the rise, wait for it to empty and then want for it to be
dropped off again, then return the bin to the edge of the property.

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know they
were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk could
have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to drop the
bin bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for collection.

It takes less than 8 seconds for my bin to be emptied.
See pictures of the process here, taken last Friday:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2dt6bzk.jpg

The truck arrives, and 2 seconds later the bin is on its way up.
After 6 seconds the bin is on its way down again.
After 8 seconds the truck has moved off.
The same guy and truck empties the recycling bin which is twice the
size. He has a video camera that looks in the bin before it's emptied.
We now don't have problems with animals ripping open the bags and I
don't have to pay for bags.

Now I suppose people will ask silly questions about why I video the
rubbish truck!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Your LA hasn't got the idea that recycled garden waste counts towards
the target for recycling yet?

No, you can *pay* to have a fifth bin if you want a fortnightly garden
waste collection.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes
Now I suppose people will ask silly questions about why I video the
rubbish truck!

Well, know you mention it , I did wonder :-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
I was idly watching the refuse collection this morning and one thing
that struck me was the amount of time it takes to empty just one of
them. Take the bin to the back of the wagon, hook it up and press the
button for the rise, wait for it to empty and then want for it to be
dropped off again, then return the bin to the edge of the property.

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know
they were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk
could have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to
drop the bin bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for
collection.
Dave

Pros and cons:
===========
Bin bags:

Cons:

animals rip them open.
Sharps can injure refuse collectors, possibly fatally.
They don't rot down.
They cost money.
They hold very little.
They're unhygenic.
They look unsightly piled up in the street.

Pros:

They are quicker to load onto refuse truck.
They come in handy for bagging up other things apart from refuse.

Wheelie bins:

Cons:

People who have never had one don't like the idea of them.
If they're overfilled (weightwise) the truck won't empty them.
They have to be wheeled to the kerb for emptying.
They take slightly longer to empty than bags.

Pros:

They're hygenic, having a lid.
They hold about 5 times as much as a binbag.
They're easy to move, even when heavy.
Most households only need them emptying once per fortnight.
You can put as much broken glass, needles, barbed wire etc in them as you
like.
One off cost to the taxpayer as no bags are involved.
Environmentally freindly as no bags are involved.

As you can see, the advantages of using wheelie bins far outweigh the cons,
and the disadvantages of using bags, far outweigh the pros.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2010 23:41, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:
On 06/08/2010 22:55, dennis@home wrote:

So how many bags does it take to hold the 240l in a wheelie bin's
contents? 10?

What's a 2401?

Dave

240 litres, the size of a standard wheelie bin.

Thanks, I would have understood it if the poster had used an l instead
of a 1.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2010 05:47, Matty F wrote:
On Aug 7, 1:43 am, wrote:
[...]

OK stupid question time here.

Why would they want to video the contents?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 06/08/2010 22:55, dennis@home wrote:

So how many bags does it take to hold the 240l in a wheelie bin's
contents? 10?

What's a 2401?

Dave

240 litres, the size of a standard wheelie bin.

Thanks, I would have understood it if the poster had used an l instead
of a 1.

Dave

erm, he did use a l not a 1
eg
240l uses the l (L)
2401 uses the 1 (one)

For the first time ever I believe that Dennis was correct:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
[...]

And you can take the wheelie bin into the shed / garage when you are doing a
tidying up job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
[...]

I have disposed of a car tailgate in mine (over a few weeks) and a
dishwasher (again - over a few weeks). Amazing how such items fold up with a
bit of encouragement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message

I have disposed of a car tailgate in mine (over a few weeks) and a
dishwasher (again - over a few weeks). Amazing how such items fold up
with a bit of encouragement.

Yes but you cannot just put anything into them.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2468688/Womans-body-left-in-wheelie-bin-for-three-weeks.html

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message

I have disposed of a car tailgate in mine (over a few weeks) and a
dishwasher (again - over a few weeks). Amazing how such items fold up
with a bit of encouragement.

Yes but you cannot just put anything into them.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2468688/Womans-body-left-in-wheelie-bin-for-three-weeks.html

Well, that would seem to say you can...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message

I have disposed of a car tailgate in mine (over a few weeks) and a
dishwasher (again - over a few weeks). Amazing how such items fold
up with a bit of encouragement.

Yes but you cannot just put anything into them.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2468688/Womans-body-left-in-wheelie-bin-for-three-weeks.html

Well, that would seem to say you can...

I stand corrected.

You cannot just put anything into them and expect the bin men to empty it:-)

vbg.

note to self - never kill a fat bird and dump her in the bin

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
[...]

****]).
Cash

I have a feeling that you did not like Mrs T.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message wwf7o.113032$Ds3.29477@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes
wrote:
On 06/08/2010 22:55, dennis@home wrote:

So how many bags does it take to hold the 240l in a wheelie bin's
contents? 10?

What's a 2401?

Dave

240 litres, the size of a standard wheelie bin.

Thanks, I would have understood it if the poster had used an l instead
of a 1.

Dave

erm, he did use a l not a 1
eg
240l uses the l (L)
2401 uses the 1 (one)

For the first time ever I believe that Dennis was correct:-)

Monkeys and Shakespeare ?

--
geoff