Old March 10th 19, 08:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PAT

On Sunday, 10 March 2019 20:22:30 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
The PAT test for extension leads comprises:
Test insulation resistance and polarity.
Visual check.
Anyone could do that, except possibly a remainer idiot.

My mother couldn't.

But she wouldn't have been able to use a projector, anyway.

Owain

Old March 10th 19, 09:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:22:30 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

The PAT test for extension leads comprises:
Test insulation resistance and polarity.
Visual check.

And check the earth is continuous from the plug to each/every outlet.
And check the fuse is correct
And fill in the Log Book of equipment. Or give them a written note if it
is only the one piece of equipment that you need to inspect.
You can also stick on a Pass label if you want, though it isnt mandatory.
But, if you fit a label, you do need the 'new' labels (new being 4 years
old now) that do not have a 'next test date', as the Tester does not
recommend the next test date now, and it should not be printed on any
labels.

Anyone could do that,...

Well, possibly, but it isnt as easy as you think if done properly, as you
have just proven.

Old March 10th 19, 09:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq"
wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 12:58:51 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 10/03/2019 12:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.

The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.

I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty
lead
was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

A lead is provided by the Church Hall - we, as users, have no idea if it
is
PAT Tested.

Not sure what to get my wife to say to the speaker.

I have not ruled out that the lead may be PAT tested - not easy to check
right now.

...but what responsibility is it of the speaker?

Just check the cable and then tell her it's been PAT tested. Print a
label off the internet (there's loads) and stick it on the thing if you
can be bothered.

Bill

I thought all the idiots on the NG were taken up by Brexit.

At one time people "on the road" were at particular risk from cables
being bundled into vans and the like after every "gig". Electric
guitar players were very prone to exiting the world of the living,
both through their own equipment and items left for the users of the
venue with no real responsibility for maintenance being taken.

Irrelevant to what can happen with an extension cord for
a PROJECTOR that has been checked for any problem.

If you need to ask the question as to responsibility for testing of
the cable, then you really are in no position to do your own testing
and pull labels off the internet.

Your speakers equipment couldn't in any forseeable way be damaged
whatever the condition of the connecting cable.

An opportunity for deep thought methinks, and while you're at it, look
up "duty of care" on your search engine.

Your speaker seems to have her wits about her, what's the subject it
may be quite a rewarding lecture.

AB

Old March 10th 19, 09:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2019 13:28, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/03/2019 12:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.

The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.
I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty lead
was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

Its not a risk to equipment particularly - although I suppose a lead
with damaged socket connections which could cause arcing, may blow a
projector lamp should it happen at the wrong time. (note that many
projector lamps can cost hundreds to replace)

A lead is provided by the Church Hall - we, as users, have no idea if
it is
PAT Tested.

If you have no idea, then its likely its not. Its not something that
happens by accident.

Well they could always ask!

Not sure what to get my wife to say to the speaker.

Probably cheaper to offer to buy a new one for her to use. Tell her she
can keep it as well for a contribution of funds!

Alternatively if there is a local charity shop that sells electrical
stuff, they probably have a tame tester you may be able to call on.

Both excellent ideas. I think I am right in thinking that PAT testing
isn't legally required on kit less than a year old? (So keep the receipt).

Old March 10th 19, 09:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/03/2019 12:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.

The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.

I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty lead
was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

A lead is provided by the Church Hall - we, as users, have no idea if it
is
PAT Tested.

Not sure what to get my wife to say to the speaker.

I have not ruled out that the lead may be PAT tested - not easy to check
right now.

....but what responsibility is it of the speaker?

Surely one bought from a reputable supplier can be regarded as safe.

And trivial to check that it actually is safe too.

Old March 10th 19, 10:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2019 15:01, Max Demian wrote:
On 10/03/2019 12:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.

The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.

I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty lead
was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

A lead is provided by the Church Hall - we, as users, have no idea if
it is
PAT Tested.

Not sure what to get my wife to say to the speaker.

I have not ruled out that the lead may be PAT tested - not easy to check
right now.

....but what responsibility is it of the speaker?

Surely one bought from a reputable supplier can be regarded as safe.

Some years ago, a well known and reputable UK manufacturer produced a
whole load of extensions that were incorrectly wired and all had to be
recalled.

Whether any were actually sold to customers I don't know.

SteveW
Old March 10th 19, 10:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/03/2019 13:13, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

Just check the cable and then tell her it's been PAT tested. Print a
label off the internet (there's loads) and stick it on the thing if you
can be bothered.

Bill

I thought all the idiots on the NG were taken up by Brexit.

The PAT test for extension leads comprises:
Test insulation resistance and polarity.
Visual check.

Anyone could do that, except possibly a remainer idiot.

Bill

"Just check the cable and then tell her it's been PAT tested. Print a
label off the internet (there's loads) and stick it on the thing if
you
can be bothered."

The initial question should have made it abundantly clear the bloke
was clueless.

Anyone cannot do it, there is a C&G course to train people to do it
and they still get it wrong.

Your "advice" is just typical of the gormless idiots infesting this NG
that are clueless about a subject, google a few words and then try to
impress the poor recipient with their astounding knowledge.

"If you can be bothered" and safety are mutually exclusive terms.

AB

Old March 10th 19, 10:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/03/2019 13:13, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

Just check the cable and then tell her it's been PAT tested. Print a
label off the internet (there's loads) and stick it on the thing if you
can be bothered.

Bill

I thought all the idiots on the NG were taken up by Brexit.

The PAT test for extension leads comprises:
Test insulation resistance and polarity.
Visual check.

Anyone could do that, except possibly a remainer idiot.

Did you really have to bring that into the issue? It may be obvous to
say it but - wanting to leave the EU or not doesn't have anything to
do with PAT. It makes me wonder why I should listen to anything you
say (well I don't much).

--
Chris Green
·

Has anyone used pat Warners offset router base in the Dewalt DW621 or other router [email protected] Woodworking 15 July 10th 04 05:36 AM
Pat Warner online Magazine --Router articles WoodChuck34 Woodworking 4 April 9th 04 09:59 AM
PAT tester rental Alex H UK diy 1 March 31st 04 11:00 AM
Which PAT tester ? nick smith UK diy 3 February 11th 04 05:59 PM
Recomend a simple pat tester? R P McMurphy UK diy 3 October 21st 03 08:48 PM