Old March 10th 19, 11:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PAT

On Sunday, 10 March 2019 22:10:21 UTC, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:22:30 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:
On 10/03/2019 13:13, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

The PAT test for extension leads comprises:
Test insulation resistance and polarity.
Visual check.

Anyone could do that, except possibly a remainer idiot.

Bill

That's far from true. The process may be simple but there's lots of little complexities that come into it in practice, and the tester needs to know how to deal with those.
eg not all cordgrips are acceptable. The average person has no idea what forms exist or how to assess which do the job - or even what the job is they need to do.
eg not all flexes are acceptable. Some are single insulated, 110v rated, clearly too thin, etc etc.
Plug type matters, most folk have no idea about that.
I've found sockets that function but don't grip the plug pins. A fire waiting to happen, they shouldn't pass.

NT

"Just check the cable and then tell her it's been PAT tested. Print a
label off the internet (there's loads) and stick it on the thing if
you
can be bothered."

The initial question should have made it abundantly clear the bloke
was clueless.

Anyone cannot do it, there is a C&G course to train people to do it
and they still get it wrong.

Your "advice" is just typical of the gormless idiots infesting this NG
that are clueless about a subject, google a few words and then try to
impress the poor recipient with their astounding knowledge.

"If you can be bothered" and safety are mutually exclusive terms.

AB

Old March 10th 19, 11:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 12:42:30 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.

The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.

I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty lead
was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

A lead is provided by the Church Hall - we, as users, have no idea if it is
PAT Tested.

Not sure what to get my wife to say to the speaker.

I have not ruled out that the lead may be PAT tested - not easy to check
right now.

...but what responsibility is it of the speaker?

Doesn't the WI group have their own projector that could be used? If
not, the speaker should provide her own extension lead if she's
worried.
--
Dave W
Old March 11th 19, 12:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 08:34:29 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Irrelevant to what can happen with an extension cord for
a PROJECTOR that has been checked for any problem.

Did you EVER have anything to do with projectors, all-knowing senile
asshole? Or the EU, or the UK, or the US, or anyone or anything for that
matter, you all-knowing, psychopathic, senile asshole? LOL

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Old March 11th 19, 12:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 08:57:23 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

And trivial to check that it actually is safe too.

What could be more trivial than your senile trolling on these groups, you
subnormal trolling senile idiot?

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Old March 11th 19, 01:26 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2019 22:13, Chris Green wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/03/2019 13:13, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

Just check the cable and then tell her it's been PAT tested. Print a
label off the internet (there's loads) and stick it on the thing if you
can be bothered.

Bill

I thought all the idiots on the NG were taken up by Brexit.

The PAT test for extension leads comprises:
Test insulation resistance and polarity.
Visual check.

Anyone could do that, except possibly a remainer idiot.

Did you really have to bring that into the issue? It may be obvous to
say it but - wanting to leave the EU or not doesn't have anything to
do with PAT. It makes me wonder why I should listen to anything you
say (well I don't much).

As with anyone in the group, with time you get to learn which posters
have useful knowledge on which topics.

However I suspect in this case most are having a sense of humour failure!

--
Cheers,

John.

Old March 11th 19, 04:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2019 00:26, John Rumm wrote:

Anyone could do that, except possibly a remainer idiot.

Did you really have to bring that into the issue?

It was satire. He said "I thought all the idiots on the NG were taken up
by Brexit."

Bill
Old March 11th 19, 04:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2019 22:34, Dave W wrote:

Doesn't the WI group have their own projector that could be used? If
not, the speaker should provide her own extension lead if she's
worried.

All this just to look at a few pictures of flower arranging or something
equally pointless.

Bill

Has anyone used pat Warners offset router base in the Dewalt DW621 or other router [email protected] Woodworking 15 July 10th 04 06:36 AM
Pat Warner online Magazine --Router articles WoodChuck34 Woodworking 4 April 9th 04 10:59 AM
PAT tester rental Alex H UK diy 1 March 31st 04 12:00 PM
Which PAT tester ? nick smith UK diy 3 February 11th 04 06:59 PM
Recomend a simple pat tester? R P McMurphy UK diy 3 October 21st 03 09:48 PM