Old March 10th 19, 01:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PAT

My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.

The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.

I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty lead
was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

A lead is provided by the Church Hall - we, as users, have no idea if it is
PAT Tested.

Not sure what to get my wife to say to the speaker.

I have not ruled out that the lead may be PAT tested - not easy to check
right now.

....but what responsibility is it of the speaker?

Old March 10th 19, 01:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2019 12:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.

The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.

I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty lead
was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

A lead is provided by the Church Hall - we, as users, have no idea if it is
PAT Tested.

Not sure what to get my wife to say to the speaker.

I have not ruled out that the lead may be PAT tested - not easy to check
right now.

...but what responsibility is it of the speaker?

Just check the cable and then tell her it's been PAT tested. Print a
label off the internet (there's loads) and stick it on the thing if you
can be bothered.

Bill
Old March 10th 19, 02:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 12:58:51 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 10/03/2019 12:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.

The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.

I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty lead
was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

A lead is provided by the Church Hall - we, as users, have no idea if it is
PAT Tested.

Not sure what to get my wife to say to the speaker.

I have not ruled out that the lead may be PAT tested - not easy to check
right now.

...but what responsibility is it of the speaker?

Just check the cable and then tell her it's been PAT tested. Print a
label off the internet (there's loads) and stick it on the thing if you
can be bothered.

Bill

I thought all the idiots on the NG were taken up by Brexit.

At one time people "on the road" were at particular risk from cables
being bundled into vans and the like after every "gig". Electric
guitar players were very prone to exiting the world of the living,
both through their own equipment and items left for the users of the
venue with no real responsibility for maintenance being taken.

If you need to ask the question as to responsibility for testing of
the cable, then you really are in no position to do your own testing
and pull labels off the internet.

Your speakers equipment couldn't in any forseeable way be damaged
whatever the condition of the connecting cable.

An opportunity for deep thought methinks, and while you're at it, look
up "duty of care" on your search engine.

Your speaker seems to have her wits about her, what's the subject it
may be quite a rewarding lecture.

AB
Old March 10th 19, 02:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2019 12:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.

The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.
I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty lead
was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

Its not a risk to equipment particularly - although I suppose a lead
with damaged socket connections which could cause arcing, may blow a
projector lamp should it happen at the wrong time. (note that many
projector lamps can cost hundreds to replace)

A lead is provided by the Church Hall - we, as users, have no idea if it is
PAT Tested.

If you have no idea, then its likely its not. Its not something that
happens by accident.

Not sure what to get my wife to say to the speaker.

Probably cheaper to offer to buy a new one for her to use. Tell her she
can keep it as well for a contribution of funds!

Alternatively if there is a local charity shop that sells electrical
stuff, they probably have a tame tester you may be able to call on.

I have not ruled out that the lead may be PAT tested - not easy to check
right now.

...but what responsibility is it of the speaker?

Odd choice of words...?

Is the responsibility of the Hall "management" to ensure any equipment
provided is safe to use.

The speaker is just being (sensibly) cautious, since she is probably
aware that in small organisations like this, dodgy kit can knock about
for years without anyone actually inspecting it or, more importantly,
scrapping / repairing / taking out of service anything that looks
questionable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old March 10th 19, 04:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2019 12:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.

The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.

I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty lead
was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

A lead is provided by the Church Hall - we, as users, have no idea if it is
PAT Tested.

Not sure what to get my wife to say to the speaker.

I have not ruled out that the lead may be PAT tested - not easy to check
right now.

....but what responsibility is it of the speaker?

Surely one bought from a reputable supplier can be regarded as safe.

--
Max Demian

Old March 10th 19, 04:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.

I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty
lead was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

An extension lead with line and earth reversed?

Might not damage the equipment, but could kill her.

If she is bringing her own projector why not her own extension lead too?
With an RCD plug fitted.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 10th 19, 04:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 15:03:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.

I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty
lead was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

An extension lead with line and earth reversed?

Might not damage the equipment, but could kill her.

Yes, well?

That was already fairly clear.

If she is bringing her own projector why not her own extension lead too?
With an RCD plug fitted.

It would be tempting but from the perspective of a person that uses
extentions on other peoples sites to power tools, laptops etc, it is
far better to get the site to organise the thing. Trying to get the go
ahead to use steps to run the cable off the floor is too unsafe for a
lot of the Hi Vis spotters in industry.

An extension is a pretty dangerous item, especially so if the room is
in semi darkness to display a projected image.

If the client supplies the cable and runs it out in what they say is a
safe manner, the speaker will have little chance of being sued when
someone goes flying over it.

Having said that, if there is an obvious problem with the cable route
and the speaker is aware, they too have a duty of care.

AB

Old March 10th 19, 07:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 March 2019 12:42:33 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.
The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.

She'll be bringing the PAT Testing certificate for the projector with her (with the test person's competency certificate and the calibration certificate for the test machine used)?

Owain

Old March 10th 19, 09:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2019 13:13, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

Just check the cable and then tell her it's been PAT tested. Print a
label off the internet (there's loads) and stick it on the thing if you
can be bothered.

Bill

I thought all the idiots on the NG were taken up by Brexit.

The PAT test for extension leads comprises:
Test insulation resistance and polarity.
Visual check.

Anyone could do that, except possibly a remainer idiot.

Bill

Has anyone used pat Warners offset router base in the Dewalt DW621 or other router [email protected] Woodworking 15 July 10th 04 06:36 AM
Pat Warner online Magazine --Router articles WoodChuck34 Woodworking 4 April 9th 04 10:59 AM
PAT tester rental Alex H UK diy 1 March 31st 04 12:00 PM
Which PAT tester ? nick smith UK diy 3 February 11th 04 06:59 PM
Recomend a simple pat tester? R P McMurphy UK diy 3 October 21st 03 09:48 PM