Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default PAT

On 11/03/2019 21:42, wrote:
On Monday, 11 March 2019 14:39:20 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/03/2019 13:52, Bill Wright wrote:
On 11/03/2019 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
He is probably looking out for himself. Surely if there is a system in
place
for this at the hall then it will be obvious as it will have stickers
on it.

I think there's too much reliance placed on stickers. The sticker is
only a sticker. From what I've seen of PAT testing it's largely a box
ticking exercise. I've seen some utterly silly decisions by PAT testers..
I'd rather rely on my own judgement and experience than on that of some
half-trained kid.

Sadly that does seem to be a common problem with many "trained" testers.
Over reliance on the "I connect to tester, push button, it says ok, must
be good" school of thought. Whereas in the case of something like an
extension lead the proper visual inspection is worth as much or more
than the electrical tests.

I've seen the results of that, speaker wire used as mains wire etc. More common are testers that have done a course but are still ignorant of a fair range of gotchas. Old equipment especially often requires more subject understanding than you'll get on any PAT course.

Surely speaker wire doesn't have the same colour coding as mains wire.
Usually just a black stripe down one side so you can get the phase right.

--
Max Demian