Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WRF is non-adult social care?

In message , at 15:36:30 on Thu, 15 Feb
2018, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

Even the people who promote the AGW meme obviously dont take it
seriously. They rush around in big cars and jets, have beachfront
houses and oppose the one cost effect means of reducing CO2 emissions
- Nuclear power - by legislating it beyond economic viability.

And they refuse to engage in debate, instead using playground tactics
like calling people 'deniers' - thereby demonstrating they are afraid
of and ashamed of the real science.

Its really all a bit pathetic and childish isn't it Roland?

Your response is, yes. Too many straw men.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

I got a ticket for parking in a resident bay to visit a resident.
Apparently it was the wrong resident bay (although they were all marked
"residents").

I would expect a bay marked "residents" to be for "esidents and not
visitors. As a visitor I would expect to look for a bay marked
"visitors" unless instructed otherwise by the person I was visiting. The
clue would be in the name.

--
Tim Ward - 07801 703 600
www.brettward.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2018 14:12, pamela wrote:
On 14:03 15 Feb 2018, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
And you fail to mention the employer's
contribution which was quite large. And, interestingly, GPs
have to pay the employer's contribution out of their gross
remuneration, as self-employed. And even all that is subject
to a maximum pension pot of 1.2M which is equivalent to a
relatively moderate final salary.

And who is the 'employer' ??. The rest of us. Taxpayers.

And who do you think ultimately pays for a 'private' pension? That
would be the customers. Should they have a say too?

I thought most private pensions now are those where you have your own
pension pot with only modest contributions from the company.

Somewhat different to final-salary indexed-linked low-contribution
government pensions.

For many civil servants it was zero contribution. One of the BBC
weather men wrote an article for one of the papers a couple of
years ago, when he admitted that the extra money he received for
presenting TV weather forecasts actually boosted his pension.

All NHS Staff with London Allowance (which was over £1000 a year 30
years ago) have that allowance counted towards their final salary
for pension purposes, even though most inner London NHS staff
just commute in from further out. This means they get a 35+ year
pension enhancement even though they are no longer travelling into
London or incurring daily London prices.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2018 14:01, pamela wrote:
I remember driving a Rover 214. I don't know how much of it was
derived from Honda but it was very nice (apart from the amazingly
heavy steering which made me struggle).

I think that was a Honda Ballade, or something like that. It wasn't
a relic of Austin-Rover days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 17:19:34 -0000, Tim Ward wrote:

I got a ticket for parking in a resident bay to visit a resident.
Apparently it was the wrong resident bay (although they were all marked
"residents").

I would expect a bay marked "residents" to be for "esidents and not
visitors. As a visitor I would expect to look for a bay marked
"visitors" unless instructed otherwise by the person I was visiting. The
clue would be in the name.

You are the one without a clue.** THERE IS NO VISITORS BAY!

Then you pay to park somewhere commercially, just like anyone else. If
you are not a resident then getting a ticket for deliberately parking in
a residents' bay is hardly surprising.

--
Tim Ward - 07801 703 600
www.brettward.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Why would anyone want to live in a
place where you can't have a visitor without doing paperwork?* That's
what I call a "prison".

You would, therefore, regard large areas of many cities as "prisons".
Feel free not to visit them.

--
Tim Ward - 07801 703 600
www.brettward.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
And you fail to mention the employer's
contribution which was quite large. And, interestingly, GPs have to pay
the employer's contribution out of their gross remuneration, as
self-employed. And even all that is subject to a maximum pension pot of
1.2M which is equivalent to a relatively moderate final salary.

And who is the 'employer' ??. The rest of us. Taxpayers.

And who do you think ultimately pays for a 'private' pension? That would
be the customers. Should they have a say too?

Unless its a monopoly they have a say, they have the final say.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 11:14:49 -0000, Max Demian

On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 10:09:33 -0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 09/02/18 09:53, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I mean whar is the point of breaking out items when they represent
less
tnam 30% of the total, at all?

Because for a couple of years, councils are allowed to increase adult
social care by more than their other services, but if they do they're
required to breakdown the increases separately on the bill.

Oh. So it's a case of Bureaucratic Bull**** Baffles Brains, is it?

Like the time I got a ticket for 'parking in a prescribed parking
place'

I got a ticket for parking in a resident bay to visit a resident.
Apparently it was the wrong resident bay (although they were all marked
"residents").

Obviously you should have looked for a bay marked "visitors",

There wasn't one.

or asked your host which was his place.

I wasn't aware I'd have parking problems.* I live in a more civilised area.

Did the proper resident complain?

No, a traffic womble caught me within the 5 minutes of time that I was
in his house (making a delivery).* I should have run the fat **** over.

You mean you knowingly (or ignorantly) parked in another resident's place.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

The nearest commercial place would have taken me half an hour to find,
10 to park in, then a 3 mile walk each way while carrying something
heavy.* The town of Edinburgh is royally ****ed up.* No wonder their
tourism is falling.

I wouldn't dream of driving in Edinburgh, but as a tourist there's no
need to. There are several public transport routes to get you in from
the airport, and then everything is in walking distance, or if you're
not able or inclined to walk there are buses and taxis (I reserve
judgement on the trams not having used one). Oh, and it's even possible
to arrive in Edinburgh by train rather than air, and then you're in the
centre to begin with.

And if you're delivering something heavy then it's maybe the "loading
and unloading" rules you need to worry about, not the "parking" ones.
Try a double yellow line next time (provided it doesn't also have any

Tim Ward - 07801 703 600
www.brettward.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In article ,
Tim Ward wrote:

The nearest commercial place would have taken me half an hour to find,
10 to park in, then a 3 mile walk each way while carrying something
heavy. The town of Edinburgh is royally ****ed up. No wonder their
tourism is falling.

I wouldn't dream of driving in Edinburgh, but as a tourist there's no
need to. There are several public transport routes to get you in from
the airport,

and there's a Park & Ride out there, too.

and then everything is in walking distance, or if you're
not able or inclined to walk there are buses and taxis (I reserve
judgement on the trams not having used one). Oh, and it's even possible
to arrive in Edinburgh by train rather than air, and then you're in the
centre to begin with.

And if you're delivering something heavy then it's maybe the "loading
and unloading" rules you need to worry about, not the "parking" ones.
Try a double yellow line next time (provided it doesn't also have any

and leave the tailgate open to make it obvious what you are doing.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In article , James Wilkinson Sword
wrote:
On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 20:30:05 -0000, Tim Ward wrote:

The nearest commercial place would have taken me half an hour to find,
10 to park in, then a 3 mile walk each way while carrying something
heavy. The town of Edinburgh is royally ****ed up. No wonder their
tourism is falling.

I wouldn't dream of driving in Edinburgh, but as a tourist there's no
need to. There are several public transport routes to get you in from
the airport, and then everything is in walking distance, or if you're
not able or inclined to walk there are buses and taxis (I reserve
judgement on the trams not having used one). Oh, and it's even possible
to arrive in Edinburgh by train rather than air, and then you're in the
centre to begin with.

Public transport? No thanks, this is the twenty first century.

And if you're delivering something heavy then it's maybe the "loading
and unloading" rules you need to worry about, not the "parking" ones.
Try a double yellow line next time (provided it doesn't also have any

I'm allowed to unload on a double yellow?! That's news to me. For how
long? I actually avoided doing so because I thought I'd get a ticket. I
thought single yellow was half an hour and double yellow was never?

Read the Highway Code - p116.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

I'm allowed to unload on a double yellow?!* That's news to me.* For how
long?* I actually avoided doing so because I thought I'd get a ticket.
I thought single yellow was half an hour and double yellow was never?

If you have a driving licence you will have studied and passed a test on
the rules (either the modern tick-box test or, if you're older, like me,
the verbal one). Which means you should know the rules. But just in case
you need a reminder:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...d-markings.pdf

--
Tim Ward - 07801 703 600
www.brettward.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 20:36:30 -0000, charles wrote:

In article ,
Tim Ward wrote:

The nearest commercial place would have taken me half an hour to
find, 10 to park in, then a 3 mile walk each way while carrying
something heavy. The town of Edinburgh is royally ****ed up. No
wonder their tourism is falling.

I wouldn't dream of driving in Edinburgh, but as a tourist there's no
need to. There are several public transport routes to get you in from
the airport,

and there's a Park & Ride out there, too.

I don't live in the dark ages, we have our own cars now.

That's what a Park & Ride is for.

[Snip]

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In article , James Wilkinson Sword
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

doesn't also have any loading restrictions of course).

I'm allowed to unload on a double yellow?! That's news to me. For
how long? I actually avoided doing so because I thought I'd get a
ticket. I thought single yellow was half an hour and double yellow
was never?

Read the Highway Code - p116.

You're going to have to make a better reference than that:

that page defines Highway markings.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Anyway, no point in remembering rules, as nowadays councils are
introducing so many new traffic calming measures, nobody has a ****ing
clue who goes first etc.

Councils can only do what's within the law - council officers tend to
refuse instructions from councillors to put up illegal signs (I know,
I've tried). So the rules are the same everywhere, councils just can't
go round inventing new ones no matter how much they might like to.

It took several years to get the government to change the law to allow
us to put up "no entry except cyclists" signs - and now that they are
legal they could appear anywhere in the country.

So yes the rules are likely to have changed since you (or I) took the
test, but not by much, and not by anything major, and they'll have
changed uniformly across the country, not randomly by council.

I've got several junctions around here where
they've removed the give way lines.* People just guess who goes first or
wave at each other.

We have several of those. We also have one just round the corner with
"give way" on all four approaches. No trouble with any of them. I think
the trick is for everybody approaching the junction to think to
themselves "I've got no actual real need to drive through this junction
like a complete and utter prick, so I think I'll simply refrain from
doing so".

--
Tim Ward - 07801 703 600
www.brettward.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default Gay ****** Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 21:21:26 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

it proved you weren't monumentally stupid.

"Monumentally Stupid" would make the perfect nym for you, Birdbrain!

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/18 17:03, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 19:08:07 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
pamela wrote:
Quite. And having effectively curtailed unions by abolishing the
industries they were once strong in, we have ended up with a
country that needs to import so much manufactured goods. And has
the real value of take home pay falling. Just what a good Tory
wanted.

British trade unions took their role of representing the labour
force too far and tried to be agents of social change. Instead of
teaming up with Trotskyists devoted to class struggle, British
unions should have taken a leaf out of the Germans' book and worked
co-operatively with owners and managers to improve industrial
efficiency for mutual benefit.

Tee-Hee. German industry actively seeked the cooperation of their unions.

Nothing funny about it. It results in stability and everybody benefits

Thats because by and large post war German ondustrial law was built by
British Army officers.

Not politicians and certainly not lefty****s
Adolf has got rid of most of those anyway.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/18 17:10, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:36:30 on Thu, 15 Feb
2018, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

Even the people who promote the AGW meme obviously dont take it
seriously. They rush around in big cars and jets, have beachfront
houses* and oppose the one cost effect means of reducing CO2 emissions
- Nuclear power - by legislating it beyond economic viability.

And they refuse to engage in debate, instead using playground tactics
like calling people 'deniers' - thereby demonstrating they are afraid
of and ashamed of the real science.

Its really all a bit pathetic and childish isn't it Roland?

Your response is, yes. Too many straw men.

The only straw man is the one you just invented right there.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 19:08:07 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
pamela wrote:
Quite. And having effectively curtailed unions by abolishing the
industries they were once strong in, we have ended up with a
country that needs to import so much manufactured goods. And has
the real value of take home pay falling. Just what a good Tory
wanted.

British trade unions took their role of representing the labour
force too far and tried to be agents of social change. Instead of
teaming up with Trotskyists devoted to class struggle, British
unions should have taken a leaf out of the Germans' book and worked
co-operatively with owners and managers to improve industrial
efficiency for mutual benefit.

Tee-Hee. German industry actively seeked the cooperation of their unions.

Nothing funny about it. It results in stability and everybody benefits

I was laughing at pamela's right wing 'unions are to blame for everything'
attitude. Of course cooperation between management and unions is best -
and it happened in several UK industries too. But not the sort of thing
the meja would cover as it wasn't news.

--
*Eat well, stay fit, die anyway

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
On 17:06 15 Feb 2018, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Terry Casey wrote:

Err, if you are going to have a dispute, best to have it when
the effects are minimal? Really?

The strikes were aimed at their respective employers - what good
did it do to deliberately target their employers' customers who
were nothing whatsoever to do with the disputes?

Because the money a customer pays for that service or goods goes
to the employer. Taking strike action when the trains aren't
running to avoid inconveniencing the public would be as much use
as a chocolate teapot.

The British public deserves more respect than to be treated as
plaything by the unions and held hostage whenever they needed to
exert pressure on management.

Really? And when utility companies etc make excessive profits that's OK?

The public had no part in the disputes but was deliberately made to
suffer. No wonder there was little public outcry when the unions
were tamed.

Think what you may mean is there was little outcry in the meja. A rather
different matter.

Previously, the only people who were happy were the unions. Now,
the whole country is happy except for the unions.

Yes, of course. Whole areas of the country with little or no decent jobs
or prospects. Hence so many voting Brexit.

That's how
democracy works. Though maybe not communism or socialism.

You really think the country as it is now a shining example of how one
should be run?

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
True. Far better (in that time) to get someone in from the local
job centre and let them loose on your expensive printing
equipment. They'll soon learn, after all. If it lasts that long.

Eddie Shah seemed to be okay doing something similar to that at the
Today newspaper when he introduced new technology for newspaper
printing and didn't want union labour.

Think you rather missed the point. Totally new technology. No need for any
of the traditional printing skills.

And the ETU covered the new equipment, rather than the extremely stupid
print unions.

--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
Zero hours contracts more usually mean you
work when you are told to and don't when they don't need you.

You really don't know anything, do you?

In the 60s I often had to set up my employers' Public Address
equipment at various sites around Tilbury Docks when the
Unions were persuading the dockers to strike against
decasualisation.

Decasualisation? What heinous crime were the employers
planning to commit?

The abolishing of casualisation aka ZERO HOURS CONTRACTS!

I think you need to check history. The act which ended true casual labour
in the docks was passed in 1946.

--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Casey wrote:

Err, if you are going to have a dispute, best to have it when
the effects are minimal? Really?

The strikes were aimed at their respective employers - what good
did it do to deliberately target their employers' customers who
were nothing whatsoever to do with the disputes?

Because the money a customer pays for that service or goods goes
to the employer. Taking strike action when the trains aren't
running to avoid inconveniencing the public would be as much use
as a chocolate teapot.

The British public deserves more respect than to be treated as
plaything by the unions and held hostage whenever they needed to
exert pressure on management.

A few words: Private Finance Initiative; cartels; land banking; tax
evasion and avoidance; management pay. And the way virtually everything
in our society, from housing to buses, from health to education, has
become monetised over the past 40 years.

Do you (assuming you're from/in the UK) really feel 'respected'?

The public had no part in the disputes but was deliberately made to
suffer. No wonder there was little public outcry when the unions
were tamed.

I have been a part of some of the most ridiculous and ill-planned
disputes known. It happens, rarely. But are you saying that unions take
strike (and action short of a strike) action to deliberately make the
public suffer? And they lose all their pay to do this? All disputes -
that's the prime motivation of industrial action?

Is this some sort of entrenched anecdote or is there evidence?

Previously, the only people who were happy were the unions. Now,
the whole country is happy except for the unions. That's how
democracy works. Though maybe not communism or socialism.

I think the recent Brexit vote and 'debate' pretty much kicks out that
line of thinking.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 February 2018 17:10:32 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
In Brighton residents can buy visitors' permits allowing use of the
residents bay.

Same in London I have quite a few, you just sctatch off the details of
date and time. I have some 1, 2, and 5 hours 'tickets' but it doesnl;t
mention residetns as such it;s just a tocket that allows yuo to part
outside almost any house in the local area for the time stated.

Round here if you have a resident's pass

what's a resident's pass ?

and wish to allow a visitor to
use the residents area,

We don;t have our own resident other than it;s a few local roads.

area you simply go online and enter in the vehicle reg
number. And pay the fee, of course.

I think we have that system 2 but I'm not sure if yuo can just turn up in an area and park and pay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/18 10:17, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 23:20:03 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 15/02/18 17:03, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 19:08:07 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
pamela wrote:
[...]

Really? Did they also build Dutch & Scandinavian industrial laws? Where did
these officers go wrong with Italy? Which German industrial law says
"Confrontational politics are forbidden"

Why didn't the same thing happen in UK.

Because we won the war. We didn't lose it.

So we didnt get our debts forgiven, loads of secret jewish gold, an
ethnically cleansed monoculture, sane military laws imposed and
****loads of free money from the USA to rebuild with, whilst still
retaining a civil service staffed by career Nazis, whose final pensions
even reflected their wartime service.

--
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
In Brighton residents can buy visitors' permits allowing use of the
residents bay.

Same in London I have quite a few, you just sctatch off the details of
date and time. I have some 1, 2, and 5 hours 'tickets' but it doesnl;t
mention residetns as such it;s just a tocket that allows yuo to part
outside almost any house in the local area for the time stated.

Round here if you have a resident's pass

what's a resident's pass ?

You live in London and have to ask that? Do you go around with your eyes
closed?

Most boroughs in London operate them. Parking areas restricted to
residents. It you want to park there, as a resident, you buy a permit. You
can also usually buy a daily pass for a visitor.

and wish to allow a visitor to
use the residents area,

We don;t have our own resident other than it;s a few local roads.

area you simply go online and enter in the vehicle reg
number. And pay the fee, of course.

I think we have that system 2 but I'm not sure if yuo can just turn up in an area and park and pay.

On some resident's bays anyone can buy a ticket at a meter, etc. But not
all.

--
*It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Because we won the war. We didn't lose it.

So we didnt get our debts forgiven, loads of secret jewish gold, an
ethnically cleansed monoculture, sane military laws imposed and
****loads of free money from the USA to rebuild with, whilst still
retaining a civil service staffed by career Nazis, whose final pensions
even reflected their wartime service.

Explains you wanting Brexit. Still fighting a war you were too young to
have fought in.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/18 11:06, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 16/02/18 10:17, Martin wrote:

* Why didn't the same thing happen in UK.

Because we won the war. We didn't lose it.

So we didnt get our debts forgiven, loads of secret jewish gold,* an
ethnically cleansed monoculture, sane military laws imposed and
****loads of free money from the USA to rebuild with, whilst still
retaining a civil service staffed by career Nazis, whose final
pensions even reflected their wartime service.

While I agree with almost all of this, I'd say that leaving the German
civil service as it had been was probably a sensible move, since by the
end of the war Nazi Party membership was almost if not actually
obligatory. Firing all those with Nazi party membership would have left
no one to run the country.

This was the mistake the Yanks made in Iraq: they fired all Baath party
members and there *was* no one to run the country, since Baath party
membership was a condition of employment.

John le Carrés 'The Pigeon Tunnel' is quite chilling: it wasnt just any
Nazis but seriously nasty Nazis many of whom later formed the
governments of the 50s, 60s and 70s;

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Because we won the war. We didn't lose it.

So we didnt get our debts forgiven, loads of secret jewish gold, an
ethnically cleansed monoculture, sane military laws imposed and
****loads of free money from the USA to rebuild with, whilst still
retaining a civil service staffed by career Nazis, whose final pensions
even reflected their wartime service.

Explains you wanting Brexit. Still fighting a war you were too young to
have fought in.

He wants brexit in the hope it starts a war as he wants to go out with a
bang.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 19:08:07 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
pamela wrote:
[...]

Shame it didn't happen in the big industries though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
True. Far better (in that time) to get someone in from the local
job centre and let them loose on your expensive printing
equipment. They'll soon learn, after all. If it lasts that long.

Eddie Shah seemed to be okay doing something similar to that at the
Today newspaper when he introduced new technology for newspaper
printing and didn't want union labour.

Think you rather missed the point. Totally new technology. No need for any
of the traditional printing skills.

I think you will find being a skilled printer is not a requirement to
join the union!
In fact I don't think you will find skilled as a requirement to join any
union.

And the ETU covered the new equipment, rather than the extremely stupid
print unions.

so you can add the print unions to the car workers, ship builders and
miners unions to the stupid ones as well as quite a few others.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert wrote:
Given a GP might need to live reasonably close to their work, is 90k
that excessive for a job which needs a lot of expensive training? About
double that of a tube train driver?

Which show how overpaid tube train drivers are. Could/should be replaced
with robots. Much more reliable, don't go on strike and don't throw
sickies.

You've no idea, have you, just how much it costs to live in London? Where
tube drivers work?

I'd vote for you being replaced by a robot. But perhaps you already are
one.

--
*Don't use no double negatives *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 February 2018 11:29:33 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
In Brighton residents can buy visitors' permits allowing use of the
residents bay.

Same in London I have quite a few, you just sctatch off the details of
date and time. I have some 1, 2, and 5 hours 'tickets' but it doesnl;t
mention residetns as such it;s just a tocket that allows yuo to part
outside almost any house in the local area for the time stated.

Round here if you have a resident's pass

what's a resident's pass ?

You live in London and have to ask that?

Yes. As I don;t own a car I have no need to have a residents pass but I'm a resident .

Do you go around with your eyes
closed?

No, but I don't know how to tell a residetn from an employed person doing a job of the flat next door, half a dozen people coming and going and no one is living there so I'm not sure who the resident is if no one is living there.
Plus I only see them at weekends and if I get home before about 6:30pm.
Thney aren't there when I leave at 8am.

I have NEVER seen a residents pass can you show me what one looks like, I've never had one.

Most boroughs in London operate them. Parking areas restricted to
residents.

We donlt have them in my road.

It you want to park there, as a resident, you buy a permit. You
can also usually buy a daily pass for a visitor.

Like the £50 worth I brought for my brother to park but does that really make him a resident ? It also doesn;t give him the right to park outtside my place or even in the road. And ANYONE can use these passes a resident a none resident even a Martian.

I think we have that system 2 but I'm not sure if yuo can just turn up in an area and park and pay.

On some resident's bays anyone can buy a ticket at a meter, etc. But not
all.

What is a residents bay we don't have them unless you're disabled.

Lets make this even simplier.
If for some strange reason I wanted to park outside yuor house, could I phone up your councils parking people and say I want to park outside this person house for 3 hours on monday afternoon, can I have a vistors parking permit as I'm visiting. ?

I was told by my council I can't do this, and that I can only buy these tickets for my own area, if I want to park in your area I have to ask you and you can buy a ticket for me or on my behalf, but I can't buy one myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
In fact I don't think you will find skilled as a requirement to join any
union.

I can only speak for the ones I've been a member of. It was - except
rather obviously for trainees.

If you employed anyone with the appropriate ticket, you were guaranteed to
get someone who was at least half competent in that job. Which is why
approving a ticket for any job was initially done at local level. By
people who actually knew the applicant, and certainly didn't want any old
Tom Dick or harry getting hold of one.

The print unions were regarded as a bit of a bad joke within the union
movement - or at least the parts of that I knew well. Perhaps the constant
deafening noise addled their brains. The best way with new technology is
to grab it with both hands - at least on a trial basis - and then when it
is proven, do a deal. If it makes the end product cheaper/better, it will
also increase demand for that, allowing any spare workers to be
re-deployed, after suitable training.

But this does require cooperation between management and workforce. Not
something the print industry was known for.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin wrote:
Especially the stupid/mislead Scottish ship builders, where P&O went out
of their way to give them a ferry contract and in gratitude the workers
had strikes that delayed delivery by a year. At the same time P&O gave a
contract to a Japanese yard. That contract was disaster too. The net
result is that Italian, German and French shipyards almost have more
cruise and ferry work than they can cope with and British shipyards are
near dead.

And of course the French and Italians never go on strike. ;-)

Got any more examples I can have a good laugh at?

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 23:21:37 on Thu, 15 Feb
2018, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

Even the people who promote the AGW meme obviously dont take it
seriously. They rush around in big cars and jets, have beachfront
houses* and oppose the one cost effect means of reducing CO2
emissions - Nuclear power - by legislating it beyond economic viability.

And they refuse to engage in debate, instead using playground
tactics like calling people 'deniers' - thereby demonstrating they
are afraid of and ashamed of the real science.

Its really all a bit pathetic and childish isn't it Roland?

Your response is, yes. Too many straw men.

The only straw man is the one you just invented right there.

Losing your touch, I see.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 14/02/2018 01:16, Roger Hayter wrote:
I think you are remembering a film comedy about trade unions rather than
real life.

ROFL.

Those film comedies were made because of what was going on in real life.

Most comedy does. To a degree. Only the gullible think it represents the
average.

--
*If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:

It's so nice to be reminded of the benefits we have today of
prosperity, industrial peace, low unemployment, unvictimised customers,
cheaper goods and reliable services (except those where unions still
operate).

Yup. Great to see so many being exploited by minimum wage and zero hours
contacts etc so you can lounge at home and have cheap deliveries.

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *