Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default WRF is non-adult social care?

In article ,
says...

Zero hours contracts more usually mean you
work when you are told to and don't when they don't need you.

You really don't know anything, do you?

In the 60s I often had to set up my employers' Public Address
equipment at various sites around Tilbury Docks when the
Unions were persuading the dockers to strike against
decasualisation.

Decasualisation? What heinous crime were the employers
planning to commit?

The abolishing of casualisation aka ZERO HOURS CONTRACTS!

Very few people had telephones in those days and, of course,
there was no internet, so a man might have to catch two buses
to get to the Dock, not get any work, so catch another two
buses to get back home again.

So worse than zero pay because he had to pay four bus fares
for the priveledge of finding out he had no work!

British Railways built a vast new marshalling yard between
Barking and Dagenham to handle all the container traffic that
would be coming into Tilbury and the Royal Docks but the
unions successfully diverted all this new traffic to
Rotterdam.

As Felixtowe is much easier to access from Rotterdam than the
Thames, most of the container traffic went there and all but
one of the docks on the Thames closed. As far as I know, not
one train ever used the multi-million pound marshalling yard.

--

Terry