Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default is there a bigger piece of **** than an I-phone?

"Andy Burns" wrote in message ...

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

How does someone with no other internet connection and no printed
instructions get a smart phone online enough to get to the online manual?
Especially if all he wants it for is to make and receive phone calls.

Is there any reason why he got a smartphone at all?

Apparently it was given to him. I think a fiendish plot by his relatives to
get at TNP, BICBW.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 May 2017 09:38:57 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/05/17 09:17, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Rod Speed
escribió:

And there is no obvious indication of that on the screen.

Oh, that'll be why it pops up a "Ringer on/off" thing on the display
whenever I operate the switch, then. Even when it's in standby.

I have no idea whether an alert popped up when my elderly neighbour
nudged it presumably with his finger while ansering a call. .

I certainly did not notice that when I turned it back on.

My point being that there is no PERMANENT rather than volatile
indication of the state.Like te little moon thing that comes up when you
put it into lunatic mode.

If I try and drive my car with the handbrake on, it shows me that the
handbrake is on. I dont need to be looking at the dashboard just at the
instant I put the handbrake on. Curiously enough that is the one time
when I KNOW I just put the handbrake on, and don't need reminding

In fact you have totally proved my point. Having an alert to tell you
you have just done something that you know you have just done, because
you just did it, is the most useless and superfluous piece of crap
programming yet.

Unless the whole point is to bedazzle the user with the cleverness and
complexity of the product by disguising the ****tiness of the underlying
hardware and software.

In your case its obvipously worked.

It's a painless way to educate beginner users re what does what.
Iphones don't get everything right, and can be frustrating like any other computer, but they are a lot better than the competition in that respect.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 May 2017 11:46:36 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/05/17 11:29, Hankat wrote:
news
On 06/05/17 08:10, Hankat wrote:

Wrong, as always.
http://help.apple.com/iphone/10/

That's no help unless you have an internet connected computer already

Pity you lied thru your ****ing teeth about 'on or off the iphone'

There was no printed manual off the iphone.

Ther was no software manual on the iphone

Ther was no manual on or off the iphone.

The manual was on the Internet. An iphone that cannot access the
internet cannot access the manual.

Catch 22.

True of all computers of course. But more to the point, things must be bad, you're replying to Rodiot.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 May 2017 11:54:14 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message

Lol. Iphones are if anything better than the others in this respect. And
you can't really blame the iphone for the fact that you didn't RTFM.

a manual!

in a box with a mobile phone?

you've got to be ****ing kidding!!

tim

If you use whole sentences we might know what you're trying to say.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/05/17 11:40, Richard wrote:
news

On 06/05/17 09:33, Richard wrote:
news This is not my phone, its an elderly neighbours phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXBwDa1ohck

How is someone with a non working smart phone that doesn't even play
flash videos supposed to access that content?

His kindly neighbour shows him on his computer?
Does the elderly guy have a smart TV?

Only since I bought it for him two weeks ago.

He says he cant change channels on it yet though.

But we are talking hypothetical here.

How does someone with no other internet connection and no printed
instructions get a smart phone online enough to get to the online manual?

Especially if all he wants it for is to make and receive phone calls.

The normsl way would be to ask the retailer.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/05/17 11:29, Hankat wrote:

news
On 06/05/17 08:10, Hankat wrote:

news On 06/05/17 02:57, Bill Wright wrote:
On 06/05/2017 00:31, Clive George wrote:
On 06/05/2017 00:06, wrote:
On Friday, 5 May 2017 23:16:27 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
hTrying to phone my neighbour,. No reply. eventually phoned him
on te
landline, and invited him for dinner.

"Why didn't you answer your I phone?"
"It didn't ring"

Sure enough, it doesn't ring.

Went through every single menu, discover hundreds of combinations
of 'I
don't want this phone to ring' and turn them all off.

It still doesn't ring.

two and half hours later I google "My ****ing i-phone won't ring"

And you have now learned that you should have done that two hours
and 25
minutes earlier.

The switch on the side to mute the phone is one of its best features.
Extremely user-friendly. Of course I read the manual when I first
used
the phone, which is only sensible. There's a very good user guide
on the
phone as well.

No there isn't any manual
On or off the phone.

Wrong, as always.
http://help.apple.com/iphone/10/

That's no help unless you have an internet connected computer already

Pity you lied thru your ****ing teeth about 'on or off the iphone'

There was no printed manual off the iphone.

Ther was no software manual on the iphone

Ther was no manual on or off the iphone.

The manual was on the Internet. An iphone that cannot access the
internet cannot access the manual.

Catch 22.

Or your iphone is working well enough to connect to the internet
already.

Since there was no manual with the phone that told you how to even
insert the SIM card,

Dont need to do that to use it.

I take it you have never seen a brand new iphone without a sim card.

which is totally non obvious,

Only to a terminal ****wit such as yourself.

you are to use the vernacular, totally ****ed before you even start.

Even sillier than you usually manage. The place where
you got the iphone is happy to tell you how to insert
the sim, if you are so ****ing stupid you can't work
that out and so ****ing stupid you can't look that up.

I am afraid that the I-phone was sent to my neighbour by BT.

I got it from him., He didnt know, which is why he asked me.#

Its almost as hilarious as the phone we bought for the geriatric FIL
with Big Buttons and Big Text so he could use it more easily.

He said 'I cant read the instruction manual: the print is too small!'

And it was, about 7 pt.

Even a terminal ****wit such as yourself should have enough
of a ****ing clue to understand how to make that readable.

Oh we did. But teh point is how was te 95 year old supopoosed to knmow?

Obviously not.

Wrong as usual

No surprise that no one is actually stupid enough to pay you
to do anything any more challenging than wipe your arse.

AScryally they are.

The more I learn about smart phones, the less I want one.

Yes, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

If you had one, you could take a photo of those instructions
and expand it so even someone like you that has wanked
themselves completely ****ing blind could read it or even
get real radical and read them out to you.

I repeat te I=phonm came with no instructions, on or off the phone.

The fact that they were on the internet is of no use to someone without
an internet connection because they cant ****ing insert the sim card in
the phone to get on it.

Even a thick **** can work THAT out.
Just not you.

Her ipad has just missed another couple of emails!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:

Her ipad has just missed another couple of emails!

perhaps the alert is not set loud enough. It can be adjusted:
Settings sounds ringer & alerts. top of column on my iPad mini

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/05/17 09:55, wrote:
On Sat, 6 May 2017 07:54:20 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

hTrying to phone my neighbour,. No reply. eventually phoned him
on te
landline, and invited him for dinner.

"Why didn't you answer your I phone?"
"It didn't ring"

Sure enough, it doesn't ring.

Went through every single menu, discover hundreds of combinations
of 'I
don't want this phone to ring' and turn them all off.

It still doesn't ring.

two and half hours later I google "My ****ing i-phone won't ring"

The switch on the side to mute the phone is one of its best features.
Extremely user-friendly. Of course I read the manual when I first used
the phone, which is only sensible. There's a very good user guide on
the
phone as well.

No there isn't any manual
On or off the phone.

Bought both ours 2nd hand so no manual, the volume controls and mute
switch are fairly obvious and were about the first items found when
looking at them.
Surprised that you did not try some fingerpoken on any controls
first or have both your neighbour and yourself got so conditioned to
software controlled devices that trying anything like a physical
button to see what it does no longer comes naturally.

Perhaps you had better become the Unnatural Philosopher.

Sure your neighbour wasn't looking for an excuse not to experience
your cooking?

Quite the reverse. he was paranoid because no one could phone him,. I
found 30 missed calls on the phone. Including the one saying 'please
pick me up from hospital'

It was failure to get through to him then that alerted me to the fact
that his brand spanking new I phone that he expects me to support,
wasn't working and he had inadvertently finger pokened it.

My failure to actually fix it for hours, is a complete indictment of the
myth that 'apple products are so intuitive you don't need a manual'

I think its an emperors new clothes thing. Apple is so **** but the
marketing is so good that no one dares admit they haven't a clue how to
use the ****ing things.

I am sure that samsung and microsoft are even worse.

G.Harman

Well, Asus is nearly as bad as Apple IME. That also has a tendency to
randomly lose emails for some reason. Equally bad, it updates the OS and
buggers up the apps you have installed on a random basis. Android IME
has a naturally crap email system. The camera function is also not good
even with a 13Mp sensor. Using it as a phone is not nearly as good as a
Doro.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
Capitol wrote:

Her ipad has just missed another couple of emails!

perhaps the alert is not set loud enough. It can be adjusted:
Settings sounds ringer & alerts. top of column on my iPad mini

It auto downloads! or not!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/05/17 08:09, Hankat wrote:

news
wrote:
hTrying to phone my neighbour,. No reply. eventually phoned him on
te landline, and invited him for dinner.

"Why didn't you answer your I phone?" "It didn't ring"

Sure enough, it doesn't ring.

Went through every single menu, discover hundreds of combinations
of 'I don't want this phone to ring' and turn them all off.

It still doesn't ring.

two and half hours later I google "My ****ing i-phone won't ring"

And discover that unlike *EVERY OTHER FUNCTION* on the i-phone,
there is a PHYSICAL SWITCH to turn the ringer off. Nothing in any
menu indicated it was turned off. Nor did it come with any manual.

There are people here who say that the linux command line is old
fashioned and opaque. They have obviously never set up an I phone.

So that's 5 hours in total trying to solve basic simple problems
like 'how the **** do I insert the sim card? and 'How the **** do I
get this heap of unadulterated wombat turds to do the MOST BASIC
THING, like ring....

Even my nokia 102 is crap. The old nokias had a green telephone
that you pressed to answer a call, and a red telephone that you
pressed to end the call. Pretty obvious really. the 102 doesn't. It
has an unside down bath symbol and what looks like a speedometer.
They bear no relationship to making a call whatsoever. I am after
over a year still not sure which one does what and often cuts
people off instead of answering the phone.But that doesnt happen
much anyway, because its got a vodaphone sim in, and there is ****
all vodaphone coverage.

What a delight now me mate has gone home and I know that if I want
the internet, I have a well thougfht out Linux machine that
actually works with a reasonably sane user interface, and a
telepone handset connected to copper that always ring and always
gets me connected to the person I am calling...

...Unless they have an I-phone of course.

Lol. Iphones are if anything better than the others in this respect.
And you can't really blame the iphone for the fact that you didn't
RTFM.

There was no ****ing manual!

Corse there is.
http://help.apple.com/iphone/10/

At least Unix came with an online manual.

So do iphones.

Mobiles are squarely marketed at kids, and are a whole lot of
fancy crap over functionality. I suppose that the phone UI isn't
something that has been established & settled over the years to the
same extent that desktop winlin has.

When apple made the first macintosh. OS/9 or whatever it was at least
had a consistent look and feel and some sort of logic to it.

So do iphones.

And it came with a manual.

So do iphones.

No, they do not.

I actually opened the package. There was a sheet saying 'insert sim card'

It took me 2 hours to work out how to do that.

That was all it basically said.

This is not my phone, its an elderly neighbours phone.

They are not all that much different to android phones, but that little
switch caused me a lot more missed calls than I get with android but the
same problem happens if you accidently turn down ringer volume.
PS I did work out how to get at the sim without a manual but I am
inquisitive about inexplicable miniature holes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

Unless the whole point is to bedazzle the user with the cleverness and
complexity of the product by disguising the ****tiness of the
underlying hardware and software.

Is that not true of the vast majority of electrical/electronic devices
on the market today? When did it take off? Perhaps today's 'smart'
phone is the direct descendent of all those awful 1980s 'hi fis' that
had a million useless knobs and switches that didn't really do very
much, were rarely necessary and were only there to impress the boys, and
disguise the crapiness of the underlying product.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 11:52, Hankat wrote:
fanboi spew deleted

*plonk*

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 11:55, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

How does someone with no other internet connection and no printed
instructions get a smart phone online enough to get to the online manual?
Especially if all he wants it for is to make and receive phone calls.

Is there any reason why he got a smartphone at all?

Some poofter from BT sold it to him along with FTTC..

He does need to get emails on the go as well.

His blackberry worked just fine and I recommended he keep it.,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 12:13, Richard wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message ...

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

How does someone with no other internet connection and no printed
instructions get a smart phone online enough to get to the online
manual?
Especially if all he wants it for is to make and receive phone calls.

Is there any reason why he got a smartphone at all?

Apparently it was given to him. I think a fiendish plot by his relatives
to get at TNP, BICBW.

His relatives are in Canada.
BT sold it to him

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

[...]

I suppose my problem is that I come from a professional IT background
and this stuff wouldn't even get past goods inward inspection.

Do you remember the days when personal computers came with the BIOS
source code at the back of the paper manuals?

The though that there could be worse kit than an I-phone frankly scares me.

Its a toy. A fashion item., A gadget. a marketable piece of bling. It is
not a computer and it doesn't work as advertised either.

Its like the worst version of windows ever. Designed to sell, not to work.

Having finally arrived at a desktop that is almost professional in its
quality, I never want to touch a macintosh or a WinPc again.

Or an Iphone

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 12:20, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Hankat

news
On 06/05/17 11:19, Hankat wrote:

the point was that this phone and other apple products are marketed
as being really easy to use and get going.

And they are. Whoever sold you the ****ing phone will be
able to tell you how to insert the sim card if you are so ****ing
stupid that you can't work out where to get that basic info.

Er, Woddles, who might have been that "sold TNP the phone", then, since
no one did? It was a gift to the neighbour, who then asked TNP for
help.

We're not told who the gift was from.

BT. Bt sold him FTTC, and a mobile package, and a router and an i-phone
arrived.

The router has a known fault, that sometimes causes it to lock up. They
all do. But it more or less worked.

The I-phone came with nothing but a single sheet of cardboard showing
how to connect it to BTs network, starting with 'first insert sim card'

But no instructions on how to insert the sim card.

I think you need to learn to read for comprehension.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 11:29, Hankat wrote:
news On 06/05/17 08:10, Hankat wrote:

Wrong, as always.
http://help.apple.com/iphone/10/

That's no help unless you have an internet connected computer already

Pity you lied thru your ****ing teeth about 'on or off the iphone'

There was no printed manual off the iphone.

Ther was no software manual on the iphone

Ther was no manual on or off the iphone.

The manual was on the Internet. An iphone that cannot access the
internet cannot access the manual.

Catch 22.

True of all computers of course. But more to the point, things must be bad, you're replying to Rodiot.

he has been plonked. I realised it was a nym shift just now
NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 12:40, charles wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/05/17 11:40, Richard wrote:
news
On 06/05/17 09:33, Richard wrote:
news This is not my phone, its an elderly neighbours phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXBwDa1ohck

How is someone with a non working smart phone that doesn't even play
flash videos supposed to access that content?

His kindly neighbour shows him on his computer?
Does the elderly guy have a smart TV?

Only since I bought it for him two weeks ago.

He says he cant change channels on it yet though.

But we are talking hypothetical here.

How does someone with no other internet connection and no printed
instructions get a smart phone online enough to get to the online manual?

Especially if all he wants it for is to make and receive phone calls.

The normsl way would be to ask the retailer.

I give you Sir charles new car.

te retailer is or was BT,. These days they don't even speak english

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 12:52, charles wrote:
In article ,
Capitol wrote:

Her ipad has just missed another couple of emails!

perhaps the alert is not set loud enough. It can be adjusted:
Settings sounds ringer & alerts. top of column on my iPad mini

Is that a doric or a roman column?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 13:06, FMurtz wrote:
PS I did work out how to get at the sim without a manual but I am
inquisitive about inexplicable miniature holes.

I am not sure I want to hear about that.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 13:09, Graeme wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

Unless the whole point is to bedazzle the user with the cleverness and
complexity of the product by disguising the ****tiness of the
underlying hardware and software.

Is that not true of the vast majority of electrical/electronic devices
on the market today? When did it take off? Perhaps today's 'smart'
phone is the direct descendent of all those awful 1980s 'hi fis' that
had a million useless knobs and switches that didn't really do very
much, were rarely necessary and were only there to impress the boys, and
disguise the crapiness of the underlying product.

Dont you mean the designer styled preamps that came out with no controls
whatsoever, because apart from a volume control, real audiophiles didn't
need one?

Its a fashion statement disguised as a thing with purpose. Consumer bling.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

a well thougfht out Linux machine

Is this what is called an Oxymoron?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wouldn't even get past goods inward inspection.

You trust the thickos in the postal department to open,
unpack, examine and 'test' all received items ?. Really ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Especially if all he wants it for is to make and receive phone calls.

Then why on earth did he buy a smart phone ??.

FFS, all he needs is the simplest of PAYG phones, or better still
no phone at all. Just use the BT one plugged into the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

He does need to get emails on the go as well.

Why ?. No-one retired 'needs' such a facility.

In the good old days, if you were expecting an important
letter, you stayed in until it was delivered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
He does need to get emails on the go as well.

Why ?. No-one retired 'needs' such a facility.

I do when traveling. However the phone is not reliable for emails, so I
also carry a Linux netbook.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2017 16:02, Capitol wrote:
Andrew wrote:
He does need to get emails on the go as well.

Why ?. No-one retired 'needs' such a facility.

I do when traveling. However the phone is not reliable for emails,
so I also carry a Linux netbook.

Yes, but this person is described as 'elderly', so travelling
usually means shuffling down to Asda and back.

I travelled the world between 1988 and 1990 and managed
without a mobile phone, email or indeed any means of
mobile communication. It's how it used to be. I defy
anyone to prove that they 'need' mobile communication
while on holiday.

I posted my Kodachrome films back to the Lab in
North London and they sent the slides back to a
relatives address. That was the only way they knew
I was still alive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 15:48, Andrew wrote:
wouldn't even get past goods inward inspection.

You trust the thickos in the postal department to open,
unpack, examine and 'test' all received items ?. Really ?.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 15:53, Andrew wrote:
Especially if all he wants it for is to make and receive phone calls.

Then why on earth did he buy a smart phone ??.

He didnt. He was sold it.

FFS, all he needs is the simplest of PAYG phones, or better still
no phone at all. Just use the BT one plugged into the wall.

That doesn't work except at home.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 15:55, Andrew wrote:
He does need to get emails on the go as well.

Why ?. No-one retired 'needs' such a facility.

Where did I say that he was retired?
Some people bot on public sector pensions have to keep working.

In the good old days, if you were expecting an important
letter, you stayed in until it was delivered.

What are you blithering about now?

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
He does need to get emails on the go as well.

Why ?. No-one retired 'needs' such a facility.

I do when traveling. However the phone is not reliable for emails,
so I also carry a Linux netbook.

Yes, but this person is described as 'elderly', so travelling
usually means shuffling down to Asda and back.

Well in this case it doesn't. It involves being away from home working
for weeks or months at a time

I travelled the world between 1988 and 1990 and managed
without a mobile phone, email or indeed any means of
mobile communication. It's how it used to be. I defy
anyone to prove that they 'need' mobile communication
while on holiday.

My friend is not on holiday when he is away from home

I posted my Kodachrome films back to the Lab in
North London and they sent the slides back to a
relatives address. That was the only way they knew
I was still alive.

Did they actually care?

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
He does need to get emails on the go as well.

Why ?. No-one retired 'needs' such a facility.

just because you've "retired" doesn't mean you've left the world. I spent
14 years of my retirement running an amateur theatre with its own building.
I've now "retired" from that but am still a trustee of 3 charities.

In the good old days, if you were expecting an important
letter, you stayed in until it was delivered.

What a waste of time.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
He does need to get emails on the go as well.

Why ?. No-one retired 'needs' such a facility.

I do when traveling. However the phone is not reliable for emails,
so I also carry a Linux netbook.

Yes, but this person is described as 'elderly', so travelling
usually means shuffling down to Asda and back.

I travelled the world between 1988 and 1990 and managed
without a mobile phone, email or indeed any means of
mobile communication. It's how it used to be. I defy
anyone to prove that they 'need' mobile communication
while on holiday.

It would have been very useful to use in 1977 when we were trying to sell
our house. A message arrived by a very complex route to say we were moving
5 days after we were due to return home. And again in 1990, when I
discovered I had got a better job, again by a roundabout route.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 6 May 2017 15:48:31 +0100, Andrew

wouldn't even get past goods inward inspection.

You trust the thickos in the postal department to open,
unpack, examine and 'test' all received items ?. Really ?.

LOL! We had a temporary assistant working in the stores department,
who had been told to open every incoming package to check that
everything was there and in good condition.

Then we had a delivery of photographic plates...

then there was the French facility that had to test every single VCR
imported into the country - with a staff of two.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2017 15:44, pamela wrote:
On 08:12 6 May 2017, RJH wrote:

hTrying to phone my neighbour,. No reply. eventually phoned him
on te landline, and invited him for dinner.

"Why didn't you answer your I phone?"
"It didn't ring"

Sure enough, it doesn't ring.

Went through every single menu, discover hundreds of
combinations of 'I don't want this phone to ring' and turn them
all off.

It still doesn't ring.

two and half hours later I google "My ****ing i-phone won't
ring"

And discover that unlike *EVERY OTHER FUNCTION* on the
i-phone, there is a PHYSICAL SWITCH to turn the ringer off.
Nothing in any menu indicated it was turned off. Nor did it
come with any manual.

Given there's only a couple of physical buttons on the thing, it
wouldn't normally take too much in the way of deduction to
conclude what it does - and it gives a screen indication of
'mute' when it's toggled. Seems you and your friend missed that.

It's almost beyond belief that it took several hours to discover what
that switch did. I wonder if this is all a troll?

Yes, you're probably right. One of them, maybe, but 2 adults (assuming),
highly unlikely they couldn't find it.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2017 16:33, charles wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
He does need to get emails on the go as well.

Why ?. No-one retired 'needs' such a facility.

just because you've "retired" doesn't mean you've left the world. I spent
14 years of my retirement running an amateur theatre with its own building.
I've now "retired" from that but am still a trustee of 3 charities.

But I bet you could do all that without a mobile phone or emails, or
the internet, because prior to about 1985 people did just that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 15:53, Andrew wrote:
Especially if all he wants it for is to make and receive phone calls.

Then why on earth did he buy a smart phone ??.

He didnt. He was sold it.

No he wasn't, he *agreed* to buy it. No-one forced him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew
wrote:
On 06/05/2017 16:33, charles wrote:
In article , Andrew
He does need to get emails on the go as well.

Why ?. No-one retired 'needs' such a facility.

just because you've "retired" doesn't mean you've left the world. I
spent 14 years of my retirement running an amateur theatre with its own
building. I've now "retired" from that but am still a trustee of 3
charities.

But I bet you could do all that without a mobile phone or emails, or the
internet, because prior to about 1985 people did just that.

I'm sure I could have done, but we are in the 21st Century now and that's
how things are done.

200 years ago, I could have travelled from London to Edinburgh by stage
coach and then trains made the journey quicker.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
He does need to get emails on the go as well.

Why ?. No-one retired 'needs' such a facility.

just because you've "retired" doesn't mean you've left the world. I
spent
14 years of my retirement running an amateur theatre with its own
building.
I've now "retired" from that but am still a trustee of 3 charities.

But I bet you could do all that without a mobile phone or emails, or
the internet, because prior to about 1985 people did just that.

What a stupid argument

Today mobile phones exist. My neighbour needs one for work, because if
he isn't reachable by mobile the work goes to someone who is.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/17 17:00, Andrew wrote:
On 06/05/17 15:53, Andrew wrote:
Especially if all he wants it for is to make and receive phone calls.

Then why on earth did he buy a smart phone ??.

He didnt. He was sold it.

No he wasn't, he *agreed* to buy it. No-one forced him.

Effectively they did with special deals he didn't really understand

fully understood.