Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default is there a bigger piece of **** than an I-phone?

wrote in message
On Saturday, 6 May 2017 20:06:50 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 06/05/2017 16:49, RJH wrote:

Yes, you're probably right. One of them, maybe, but 2 adults
(assuming),
highly unlikely they couldn't find it.

Never underestimate how stupid people can be.
You have to assume there will be someone really stupid trying to use
your product.

Not really. You could cover every point in a huge manual,

And the most stupid wouldnt bother to read it.

They'd get whoever they got the phone from to do what
is necessary to make it useable at the time they buy it.

or cover enough for most people on one sheet. BT chose the latter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Hankat
wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article , Hankat

news On 06/05/17 11:19, Hankat wrote:

the point was that this phone and other apple products are marketed as
being really easy to use and get going.

And they are. Whoever sold you the ****ing phone will be
able to tell you how to insert the sim card if you are so ****ing
stupid that you can't work out where to get that basic info.

Er, Woddles, who might have been that "sold TNP the phone",

Never said anything about it being sold to the turnip.

phone ... ".

That was a generic you, ****wit.

It was a gift to the neighbour,

You dont know that either. That not what the turnip said.

Yes he did,

No he didnt. It came from BT, and wasnt a gift.

who then asked TNP for help.

Only when the turnip asked him why he didnt answer the phone.

So?

No so involved.

We're not told who the gift was from.

You dont know that it was a gift from anyone.

Yes we do,

No we dont.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some terminal ****wit desperately cowering behind
wrote just what you'd
expect from a desperately cowering gutless ****wit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 May 2017 01:14:53 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Some terminal ****wit desperately cowering behind
tabbypurr wrote just what you'd
expect from a desperately cowering gutless ****wit.

You must have spent an age writing all that junk no-one reads.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some terminal ****wit desperately cowering behind
tabbypurr wrote just what you'd expect
from a desperately cowering gutless ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

**** off Rod.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some poofter from BT sold it to him along with FTTC..

Well, if BT insists on wasting money on funding footballs excessively
stupid transfer fees, I guess they have to obtain the money from somewhere.

FWIW, I've also been caught out by that switch.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hankat" wrote in message

Ther was no software manual on the iphone

You lied about ON OR OFF THE IPHONE.

ITYF he meant "in the box, on or off the phone"

he wasn't denying the existence of there being some online resource that you
could read - if you had the means to do so (which not everybody has)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2017 20:25, newshound wrote:
On 5/5/2017 11:16 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
hTrying to phone my neighbour,. No reply. eventually phoned him on te
landline, and invited him for dinner.

"Why didn't you answer your I phone?"
"It didn't ring"

Sure enough, it doesn't ring.

Went through every single menu, discover hundreds of combinations of
'I don't want this phone to ring' and turn them all off.

It still doesn't ring.

two and half hours later I google "My ****ing i-phone won't ring"

And discover that unlike *EVERY OTHER FUNCTION* on the i-phone, there
is a PHYSICAL SWITCH to turn the ringer off. Nothing in any menu
indicated it was turned off. Nor did it come with any manual.

There are people here who say that the linux command line is old
fashioned and opaque. They have obviously never set up an I phone.

So that's 5 hours in total trying to solve basic simple problems like
'how the **** do I insert the sim card? and 'How the **** do I get
this heap of unadulterated wombat turds to do the MOST BASIC THING,
like ring...

Even my nokia 102 is crap. The old nokias had a green telephone that
you pressed to answer a call, and a red telephone that you pressed to
end the call. Pretty obvious really. the 102 doesn't. It has an unside
down bath symbol and what looks like a speedometer. They bear no
relationship to making a call whatsoever. I am after over a year still
not sure which one does what and often cuts people off instead of
answering the phone.But that doesnt happen much anyway, because its
got a vodaphone sim in, and there is **** all vodaphone coverage.

What a delight now me mate has gone home and I know that if I want the
internet, I have a well thougfht out Linux machine that actually works
with a reasonably sane user interface, and a telepone handset
connected to copper that always ring and always gets me connected to
the person I am calling...

...Unless they have an I-phone of course.

:-)

In a past life I wrote "research" and then commercial code to automate
some scientific instruments (normally used by Russell Group PhDs and
DPhils). I reckoned I'd spend half the coding time writing traps for all
the possible invalid responses to relatively simple menus (either
calling for single keystroke letters, or numbers).

What you are describing is all too familiar. Developers who have become
so intimate with their products that they think "It is obvious how I am
asking the user to respond".

Yeah but. This is one of the most ubiquitous products on earth with only
a couple of buttons. Most would find it after a couple of minutes - it
is even coloured, with visual and taptic feedback when operated. Even I
found it :-)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote

Go and **** yourself, dickless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
et...
In article , Hankat

news On 06/05/17 11:19, Hankat wrote:

the point was that this phone and other apple products are marketed
as being really easy to use and get going.

And they are. Whoever sold you the ****ing phone will be
able to tell you how to insert the sim card if you are so ****ing
stupid that you can't work out where to get that basic info.

Er, Woddles, who might have been that "sold TNP the phone",

Never said anything about it being sold to the turnip.

phone ... ".

That was a generic you, ****wit.

Don't wriggle, Woddles, and don't widdle either.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Hankat" wrote in message

Ther was no software manual on the iphone

You lied about ON OR OFF THE IPHONE.

ITYF he meant "in the box, on or off the phone"

He claimed very unambigously that there is no manual anywhere.

He's so ****ing stupid that he couldnt even
manage to google iphone manual and find it.

he wasn't denying the existence of there being some online resource that
you could read

Yes he did.

- if you had the means to do so (which not everybody has)

But he clearly does. And was so ****ing stupid that he couldnt
even manage to google iphone doesnt ring for HOURS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , tim...
escribió:

he wasn't denying the existence of there being some online resource that you
could read - if you had the means to do so

Like, oh, the phone he's holding in his hand which has internet and a
web browser?

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2017 23:27, Rod Speed wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
news

I posted my Kodachrome films back to the Lab in
North London and they sent the slides back to a
relatives address. That was the only way they knew
I was still alive.

And now its much cheaper and more convenient
to be able to ring them for free, text them or even
get real radical and take a photo and have them
able to see it seconds later.

In 100 years time my Kodachrome slides will still exist and
will still have their original colours.

Most of the digital snapshots will have disappeared into the
cloud without trace.

when did you last check that 'important' document that you stored
on a hard-sectored 8 inch floppy disk ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news

I posted my Kodachrome films back to the Lab in
North London and they sent the slides back to a
relatives address. That was the only way they knew
I was still alive.

And now its much cheaper and more convenient
to be able to ring them for free, text them or even
get real radical and take a photo and have them
able to see it seconds later.

In 100 years time my Kodachrome slides will still exist and
will still have their original colours.

Possibly. If you can remember where you put them

Most of the digital snapshots will have disappeared into the
cloud without trace.

No, they wont. They are all on my server, and on its other backup disc,
and on its USB bakcup drive.

when did you last check that 'important' document that you stored
on a hard-sectored 8 inch floppy disk ?.

I never stored an important document on an 8" floppy disk.

Any important data from that era is still on my hard drive where it was
from the get go.

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/17 12:16, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , tim...
escribió:

he wasn't denying the existence of there being some online resource that you
could read - if you had the means to do so

Like, oh, the phone he's holding in his hand which has internet and a
web browser?

But which isn't connected to either, because it lacks enough
instructions to indicate how to get there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message ...

En el artículo , Andrew Andrew97d-
escribió:

In 100 years time my Kodachrome slides will still exist and
will still have their original colours.

but the equipment to view them will no longer exist.

WTF!? Eyes will be no more?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Andrew wrote:

[snip]

In 100 years time my Kodachrome slides will still exist and
will still have their original colours.

[snip]

There is a faint hope that Kodachrome may yet be produced again.
Bet it won't be cheap though.

--
Jim White
Wimbledon London England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news

I posted my Kodachrome films back to the Lab in
North London and they sent the slides back to a
relatives address. That was the only way they knew
I was still alive.

And now its much cheaper and more convenient
to be able to ring them for free, text them or even
get real radical and take a photo and have them
able to see it seconds later.

In 100 years time my Kodachrome slides will still exist and
will still have their original colours.

Not a snowball in hells chance of that being true.
You might be able to digitise them and recover the colour but without
including standard colour charts it will be near impossible to get them
exact.

Most of the digital snapshots will have disappeared into the
cloud without trace.

Most already have.

The important ones get moved without any degradation in the image,
unlike your slides.

when did you last check that 'important' document that you stored
on a hard-sectored 8 inch floppy disk ?.

Why do you think people would keep an important document on such a device?

My pictures have transitioned from CDs to DVDs to bluray as well as HDD
and SSD and the cloud and will no doubt move several times more.

They may not survive WW3 but then most people wont either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andrew wrote

I posted my Kodachrome films back to the Lab
in North London and they sent the slides back
to a relatives address. That was the only way
they knew I was still alive.

And now its much cheaper and more convenient
to be able to ring them for free, text them or even
get real radical and take a photo and have them
able to see it seconds later.

In 100 years time my Kodachrome slides will
still exist and will still have their original colours.

So will the digital ones if you want them to.

Most of the digital snapshots will have
disappeared into the cloud without trace.

Most Kodachrome slides will have been tossed
when the person who has them dies.

when did you last check that 'important' document
that you stored on a hard-sectored 8 inch floppy disk ?.

I'm not actually stupid enough to
leave an important document there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
escribió:

he wasn't denying the existence of there being some online resource that
you
could read - if you had the means to do so

Like, oh, the phone he's holding in his hand which has internet and a
web browser?

But which isn't connected to either, because it lacks enough instructions
to indicate how to get there.

Thats a lie with the phone that stopped ringing.

And with the sim, even you should be able ring the supplier
with another phone and ask them how to insert the sim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Gardener" wrote in message ...
**** off Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 May 2017 05:11:15 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , The Natural Philosopher
escribió:

And discover that unlike *EVERY OTHER FUNCTION* on the i-phone, there
is a PHYSICAL SWITCH to turn the ringer off

PEBPAI.

Problem exists between phone and idiot.

Well, I guess they don't call them i-phones for nothing then. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Johnny B Good
escribió:

Well, I guess they don't call them i-phones for nothing then. :-)

Heh. I'll remember that.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2017 21:30, Tim Streater wrote:

I've got such slides from 45 years go in very good shape [1]. Main
thing is to keep them in a dry-ish atmos to discourage mould growing.

[1] No sign of any degradation, in fact.

How do you know?
Have you the originals to compare them with?
Have they changed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

hTrying to phone my neighbour,. No reply. eventually phoned him on te
landline, and invited him for dinner.

"Why didn't you answer your I phone?"
"It didn't ring"

Sure enough, it doesn't ring.

I just don't have time to read all the replies to this but did it have a
little moon symbol showing top right on screen?

Is so its set to "Do not disturb"

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/17 09:15, Muddymike wrote:
hTrying to phone my neighbour,. No reply. eventually phoned him on te
landline, and invited him for dinner.

"Why didn't you answer your I phone?"
"It didn't ring"

Sure enough, it doesn't ring.

I just don't have time to read all the replies to this but did it have a
little moon symbol showing top right on screen?

Is so its set to "Do not disturb"

No. It didn't.

It had a little red switch on the side set to 'no ring'

It is the only switch on the bloody thing.

Mike

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/17 09:23, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 08/05/17 09:15, Muddymike wrote:
hTrying to phone my neighbour,. No reply. eventually phoned him on te
landline, and invited him for dinner.

"Why didn't you answer your I phone?"
"It didn't ring"

Sure enough, it doesn't ring.

I just don't have time to read all the replies to this but did it have a
little moon symbol showing top right on screen?

Is so its set to "Do not disturb"

No. It didn't.

It had a little red switch on the side set to 'no ring'

It is the only switch on the bloody thing.

Is there no power switch?

I think there is one button on the front that does various strange
things depending on what is running at the time. Its equally
nonsensical. What it does depends in what is already going on.

The phone it seems never turns off. I saw no way to get the battery out
either.

At best it goes into 'standby' mode

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

RTFM

the switch on the top edge, if pressed briefly puts the phone into standby.
If it is pressed for longer you will be asked if you want to switch off.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/17 09:15, Muddymike wrote:
hTrying to phone my neighbour,. No reply. eventually phoned him on te
landline, and invited him for dinner.

"Why didn't you answer your I phone?"
"It didn't ring"

Sure enough, it doesn't ring.

I just don't have time to read all the replies to this but did it have a
little moon symbol showing top right on screen?

Is so its set to "Do not disturb"

No. It didn't.

It had a little red switch on the side set to 'no ring'

It is the only switch on the bloody thing.

:-)

I must add that I m a fan of the iPhone is a brilliant business tool.
I'm on my third. It not only makes calls but can make them for free to
anywhere in the world using the stupidly named "Facetime Voice"

It allows me to handle email anywhere.
Fingerprint recognition means no PIN to remember.
I can read my Dropbox documents anywhere.
I can listen to my favourite Radio 4 shows when I want to.
It will direct me when I'm lost. (it was fantastic when walking around a
strange part of London last week.
I can check what's on TV and watch it if I want to.
Its my Dash cam.
I can order things I need as soon as I realise I need it.
It's a calculator.
Its a very good camera for basic photography and video.
It will give me a weather forecast.
Siri Understands me almost word perfect and is much quicker and more
accurate than my typing.
Oh and it has a brilliant little switch on the side to mute it:-)

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Muddymike writes
[...]

(Tangent) Given that I'm not an Apple fan, which reasonably priced
alternative does most/all of the above?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .

I've got such slides from 45 years go in very good shape [1]. Main
thing is to keep them in a dry-ish atmos to discourage mould growing.

In addition it appears it's important to keep them in the dark. Not that you
wouldn't anyway. Whereas - "Kodachrome's fade time under projection is
about one hour".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodach...ival_stability

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Graeme wrote:

Given that I'm not an Apple fan, which reasonably priced
alternative does most/all of the above?

Depends what you mean by "reasonably priced".
I'm thinking about either a ONE+ or a Google Pixel.

Good phones but with the Pixel, google have leapt to apple pricing, no
longer fits my definition of "reasonable"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It had a little red switch on the side set to 'no ring'

It is the only switch on the bloody thing.

Is there no power switch?

I think there is one button on the front that does various strange
things depending on what is running at the time. Its equally
nonsensical. What it does depends in what is already going on.

The phone it seems never turns off. I saw no way to get the battery
out either.

At best it goes into 'standby' mode

Humph. I have no experience of the things since AFAIAC a PAYG phone,
normally turned off, is perfectly adequate (SWMBO also).

But now that SWMBO has assumed certain responsibilities, she feels she
may need to actually get one of these things (or equivalent) so she can
get email etc while out and about. So I follow this thread with some
interest, as I have been told off to look into it.

Well my advice is to learn the thing, not expect too much, and learn to
use it one CrappyAp„¢ at a time...

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/17 10:14, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
Muddymike writes
[...]

Looking from outside, most people seem to like Samsung Galaxy
I think I touched one once

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 08/05/17 09:15, Muddymike wrote:
hTrying to phone my neighbour,. No reply. eventually phoned him on te
landline, and invited him for dinner.

"Why didn't you answer your I phone?"
"It didn't ring"

Sure enough, it doesn't ring.

I just don't have time to read all the replies to this but did it have a
little moon symbol showing top right on screen?

Is so its set to "Do not disturb"

No. It didn't.

It had a little red switch on the side set to 'no ring'

It is the only switch on the bloody thing.

Is there no power switch?

Nope, that has never been a switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

On 08/05/17 09:15, Muddymike wrote:
hTrying to phone my neighbour,. No reply. eventually phoned him on te
landline, and invited him for dinner.

"Why didn't you answer your I phone?"
"It didn't ring"

Sure enough, it doesn't ring.

I just don't have time to read all the replies to this but did it have
little moon symbol showing top right on screen?

Is so its set to "Do not disturb"

No. It didn't.

It had a little red switch on the side set to 'no ring'

It is the only switch on the bloody thing.

Is there no power switch?

I think there is one button on the front that does various strange things
depending on what is running at the time. Its equally nonsensical. What it
does depends in what is already going on.

The phone it seems never turns off.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof
that you have never ever had a ****ing clue.