Posted to uk.d-i-y
FMurtz FMurtz is offline

Default is there a bigger piece of **** than an I-phone?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/05/17 08:09, Hankat wrote:

news
On 06/05/17 00:06, wrote:
On Friday, 5 May 2017 23:16:27 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
hTrying to phone my neighbour,. No reply. eventually phoned him on
te landline, and invited him for dinner.

"Why didn't you answer your I phone?" "It didn't ring"

Sure enough, it doesn't ring.

Went through every single menu, discover hundreds of combinations
of 'I don't want this phone to ring' and turn them all off.

It still doesn't ring.

two and half hours later I google "My ****ing i-phone won't ring"

And discover that unlike *EVERY OTHER FUNCTION* on the i-phone,
there is a PHYSICAL SWITCH to turn the ringer off. Nothing in any
menu indicated it was turned off. Nor did it come with any manual.

There are people here who say that the linux command line is old
fashioned and opaque. They have obviously never set up an I phone.

So that's 5 hours in total trying to solve basic simple problems
like 'how the **** do I insert the sim card? and 'How the **** do I
get this heap of unadulterated wombat turds to do the MOST BASIC
THING, like ring....

Even my nokia 102 is crap. The old nokias had a green telephone
that you pressed to answer a call, and a red telephone that you
pressed to end the call. Pretty obvious really. the 102 doesn't. It
has an unside down bath symbol and what looks like a speedometer.
They bear no relationship to making a call whatsoever. I am after
over a year still not sure which one does what and often cuts
people off instead of answering the phone.But that doesnt happen
much anyway, because its got a vodaphone sim in, and there is ****
all vodaphone coverage.

What a delight now me mate has gone home and I know that if I want
the internet, I have a well thougfht out Linux machine that
actually works with a reasonably sane user interface, and a
telepone handset connected to copper that always ring and always
gets me connected to the person I am calling...

...Unless they have an I-phone of course.

Lol. Iphones are if anything better than the others in this respect.
And you can't really blame the iphone for the fact that you didn't
RTFM.

There was no ****ing manual!

Corse there is.
http://help.apple.com/iphone/10/

At least Unix came with an online manual.

So do iphones.

Mobiles are squarely marketed at kids, and are a whole lot of
fancy crap over functionality. I suppose that the phone UI isn't
something that has been established & settled over the years to the
same extent that desktop winlin has.

When apple made the first macintosh. OS/9 or whatever it was at least
had a consistent look and feel and some sort of logic to it.

So do iphones.

And it came with a manual.

So do iphones.

No, they do not.

I actually opened the package. There was a sheet saying 'insert sim card'

It took me 2 hours to work out how to do that.

That was all it basically said.

This is not my phone, its an elderly neighbours phone.

They are not all that much different to android phones, but that little
switch caused me a lot more missed calls than I get with android but the
same problem happens if you accidently turn down ringer volume.
PS I did work out how to get at the sim without a manual but I am
inquisitive about inexplicable miniature holes.