Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default is there a bigger piece of **** than an I-phone?

On 06/05/17 12:14, wrote:
On Saturday, 6 May 2017 09:38:57 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 06/05/17 09:17, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Rod Speed
escribió:

And there is no obvious indication of that on the screen.

Oh, that'll be why it pops up a "Ringer on/off" thing on the
display whenever I operate the switch, then. Even when it's in
standby.

I have no idea whether an alert popped up when my elderly neighbour
nudged it presumably with his finger while ansering a call. .

I certainly did not notice that when I turned it back on.

My point being that there is no PERMANENT rather than volatile
indication of the state.Like te little moon thing that comes up
when you put it into lunatic mode.

If I try and drive my car with the handbrake on, it shows me that
the handbrake is on. I dont need to be looking at the dashboard
just at the instant I put the handbrake on. Curiously enough that
is the one time when I KNOW I just put the handbrake on, and don't
need reminding

In fact you have totally proved my point. Having an alert to tell
you you have just done something that you know you have just done,
because you just did it, is the most useless and superfluous piece
of crap programming yet.

Unless the whole point is to bedazzle the user with the cleverness
and complexity of the product by disguising the ****tiness of the
underlying hardware and software.

In your case its obvipously worked.

It's a painless way to educate beginner users re what does what.
Iphones don't get everything right, and can be frustrating like any
other computer, but they are a lot better than the competition in
that respect.

I suppose my problem is that I come from a professional IT background
and this stuff wouldn't even get past goods inward inspection.

Do you remember the days when personal computers came with the BIOS
source code at the back of the paper manuals?

The though that there could be worse kit than an I-phone frankly scares me.

Its a toy. A fashion item., A gadget. a marketable piece of bling. It is
not a computer and it doesn't work as advertised either.

Its like the worst version of windows ever. Designed to sell, not to work.

Having finally arrived at a desktop that is almost professional in its
quality, I never want to touch a macintosh or a WinPc again.

Or an Iphone

NT