Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A nuisance caller got through TruCall

This is the first to get through the net, since I installed our BT
8500's with the TruCall system 8-o .

The system logged a series of calls from 01134196912. Which at first
glance suggested it might have been a genuine and local number, so I
tried ringing it back and it rang unanswered, though it did sound a bit
odd the ringing tone. The caller had failed to announce their name and
press # to get through in each of their calls.

Then I tried to trace where the call had originated 0113 is a Leeds
code, also our area code, except all of our codes (so far as I am
aware) have a 2 following the code - 0113 2??????. 01134 didn't seem to
exist, or so it seemed from Google.

The same caller tried again, this time said his name and pressed #. I
accepted the call and from the accent it was probably a call from
either Australia or maybe South Africa. The caller wanted me to take a
survey - I will not repeat here what I said to him.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

http://www.unknownphone.com/search.php?num=01134196912

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Then I tried to trace where the call had originated 0113 is a Leeds
code, also our area code, except all of our codes (so far as I am
aware) have a 2 following the code - 0113 2??????.

All old Leeds numbers were prefixed with 2 when the STD code changed
from 0532 to 0113

01134 didn't seem to exist, or so it seemed from Google.

0113 x?????? numbers exist for all values of x except 5,6,7, or 9

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/sabcde11_12.xls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
[...]

Horizon Mobility apparently

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01134196912

Often just entering the number in Google will produce information about the caller.

In this case your number was presumably passed on by anyone who's sold
you similar products, or whose products you've enquired about in the past.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote on 10/11/2016 :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Google failed to find that, for some reason. The comments made there,
are similar to what took place. They knew my name.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Moron Watch brought next idea :
Horizon Mobility apparently

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01134196912

Often just entering the number in Google will produce information about the
caller.

In this case your number was presumably passed on by anyone who's sold
you similar products, or whose products you've enquired about in the past.

Strange they should have my name, because I have no such issues. My now
deceased partner was though quite severally disabled. As the equipment
supplied to her still had some while to run on the included maintenance
contracts, I transfered that to my name.

So either Stannah or the mobility scooter company, have sold my details
on to a third party and without my permission. Hmmm..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I disconnected my landline and only use my mobile. Much less nuisance calls, and I can see the number. I only answer those in my contacts list, or mobile phones (as these tend to be actual people), any other landline phoning me I look up first, then dial back.

--
Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Moron Watch brought next idea :
Horizon Mobility apparently

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01134196912

Often just entering the number in Google will produce information
about the caller.

In this case your number was presumably passed on by anyone who's
sold you similar products, or whose products you've enquired about in the
past.

Strange they should have my name, because I have no such issues. My
now deceased partner was though quite severally disabled. As the
equipment supplied to her still had some while to run on the included
maintenance contracts, I transfered that to my name.

So either Stannah or the mobility scooter company, have sold my
details on to a third party and without my permission. Hmmm..

Yip, your details have been sold on.
A few weeks ago I bought a telly from Currys. Reserved it online. Picked it
up and the bloke asked for my email address - which they already had. I told
him to **** off.
Last week I got a letter offering an incredible offer from some loan outfit
............. APR 99%. One of their clients is Currys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 20:20:42 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Currys also report you to TV Licensing. My colleague had gotten his name reversed (forename/surname) in Currys, and the TV Licensing people thought he wasn't registered.

--
What if there is air in space, and the government doesn't want us to escape?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news

Currys also report you to TV Licensing.

Not just Currys

Under the Wireless and Telegraphy Act of 1967 all TV dealers
were required to notify TV Licencing whenever they sold or rented
TV's. This was repealed in 2013.

IIRR this also applied to set top boxes and VCR's although
not all assistants were equally on the ball when it came
to asking for names and addresses

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2016 20:53, Moron Watch wrote:
"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news

Currys also report you to TV Licensing.

Not just Currys

Under the Wireless and Telegraphy Act of 1967 all TV dealers
were required to notify TV Licencing whenever they sold or rented
TV's. This was repealed in 2013.

IIRR this also applied to set top boxes and VCR's although
not all assistants were equally on the ball when it came
to asking for names and addresses

Had an assistant in Tesco demand a name and address to let me buy a DVD
player once ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Translation:
I can't afford a landline anymore as I'm skint and on the bones of my arse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Are yes, a telly licence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Google failed to find that, for some reason. The comments made there,
are similar to what took place. They knew my name.

I disconnected my landline and only use my mobile. Much less nuisance calls,
and I can see the number.

Hardly a 'mobile only' facility.

I only answer those in my contacts list, or mobile
phones (as these tend to be actual people), any other landline phoning
me I look up first, then dial back.

I'll have gone out! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Can't do that here, we don't have naked DSL in my town.

Guess that does mean you wont be moving here any time soon.

And we're about to get FTTN/VDSL and that has the landline
bundled with it too, you cant get it without a landline service.

Corse you don't have to plug a phone into it and some of my mates don't.

Much less nuisance calls,

I get **** all now I'm on our do not call register, maybe one a week
in a bad week. And when one calls me anyway I just tell them that
they arent allowed to call me when its clear who they are, and they
just hang up without saying a word most of the time.

and I can see the number.

I can on the landline too, but that does cost me $5/month.

And still get quite a few with the number suppressed.

I only answer those in my contacts list, or mobile phones (as these tend
to be actual people),

Mad.

any other landline phoning me I look up first, then dial back.

Too much farting around IMO. I just answer it if I'm not doing
something else and can do that easily and tell them they arent
allowed to call me when its obvious its someone flogging stuff.

I have had quite a few useful calls over the years, one from the
local cop shop telling me that they had some of my stuff down
the cop shop because they had nabbed some stupid kids who
had been walking around the streets with a wheel barrow, quite
literally, helping themselves to stuff out of any cars they could
get into. I'd been out to a ****up the night before, in the days
before I starting brewing my own and had got a 6 pack from the
local drive thru bottle shop where they had you what you want
thru the passengers front door window and I had managed to
forget to lock that door in the 73 Golf that doesn't have central locking.

Had someone I know very well manage to get robbed in Egypt
and lost all their cards and cash etc who called me to tell him
which numbers to call to have the cards cancelled too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
This is the first to get through the net, since I installed our BT
8500's with the TruCall system 8-o .

The system logged a series of calls from 01134196912. Which at first
glance suggested it might have been a genuine and local number, so I
tried ringing it back and it rang unanswered, though it did sound a bit
odd the ringing tone. The caller had failed to announce their name and
press # to get through in each of their calls.

Why the feck would you ring an unknown cold caller back? Seems to negate
the whole point in buying a TruCall unit in the first place. Now you've
also confirmed that your number has a potentially gullible person on the
end of it.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I have a landline, it comes with the fibre internet. I just took the phone out.

--
What does a Scotsman wear under his kilt?
Lipstick, if he's lucky.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Which makes Curry's a bunch of nasty grassers.

--
If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I have the line, there's just no phone on it.

And we're about to get FTTN/VDSL and that has the landline
bundled with it too, you cant get it without a landline service.

Corse you don't have to plug a phone into it and some of my mates don't.

Much less nuisance calls,

I get **** all now I'm on our do not call register, maybe one a week
in a bad week. And when one calls me anyway I just tell them that
they arent allowed to call me when its clear who they are, and they
just hang up without saying a word most of the time.

Our service don't work that good.

and I can see the number.

I can on the landline too, but that does cost me $5/month.

And still get quite a few with the number suppressed.

I only answer those in my contacts list, or mobile phones (as these tend
to be actual people),

Mad.

any other landline phoning me I look up first, then dial back.

Too much farting around IMO. I just answer it if I'm not doing
something else and can do that easily and tell them they arent
allowed to call me when its obvious its someone flogging stuff.

I only get the odd one on the mobile, about once every 2 months, usually trying again and again twenty times over a week. Sometimes I pick up the phone and yell abuse at them. One was Eon energy, which I've never dealt with. I gave them a good rant about them ripping people off and didn't let them get a word in edgeways.

I have had quite a few useful calls over the years, one from the
local cop shop telling me that they had some of my stuff down
the cop shop because they had nabbed some stupid kids who
had been walking around the streets with a wheel barrow, quite
literally, helping themselves to stuff out of any cars they could
get into. I'd been out to a ****up the night before, in the days
before I starting brewing my own and had got a 6 pack from the
local drive thru bottle shop where they had you what you want
thru the passengers front door window and I had managed to
forget to lock that door in the 73 Golf that doesn't have central locking.

Had someone I know very well manage to get robbed in Egypt
and lost all their cards and cash etc who called me to tell him
which numbers to call to have the cards cancelled too.

--
The Official MBA Handbook on business cards: Avoid overly pretentious job titles such as "Lord of the Realm, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India" or "Director of Corporate Planning."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 20:53:35 -0000, Moron Watch wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news

Currys also report you to TV Licensing.

Not just Currys

Under the Wireless and Telegraphy Act of 1967 all TV dealers
were required to notify TV Licencing whenever they sold or rented
TV's. This was repealed in 2013.

IIRR this also applied to set top boxes and VCR's although
not all assistants were equally on the ball when it came
to asking for names and addresses

You were not obliged to give them your address. I never did, I didn't want junk mail from them.

--
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kick boxing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 21:00:38 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 10/11/2016 20:53, Moron Watch wrote:
"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news

Currys also report you to TV Licensing.

Not just Currys

Under the Wireless and Telegraphy Act of 1967 all TV dealers
were required to notify TV Licencing whenever they sold or rented
TV's. This was repealed in 2013.

IIRR this also applied to set top boxes and VCR's although
not all assistants were equally on the ball when it came
to asking for names and addresses

Had an assistant in Tesco demand a name and address to let me buy a DVD
player once ;-)

I hope you dumped the thing on the floor and walked out.

--
Send all problems by email
Only phone me with EMERGENCY problems (e.g. LPT1 on fire)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 21:25:02 -0000, Chris Green wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Google failed to find that, for some reason. The comments made there,
are similar to what took place. They knew my name.

I disconnected my landline and only use my mobile. Much less nuisance calls,
and I can see the number.

Hardly a 'mobile only' facility.

Tends to be. Every single mobile has it, and very few landphones do.

I only answer those in my contacts list, or mobile
phones (as these tend to be actual people), any other landline phoning
me I look up first, then dial back.

I'll have gone out! :-)

If whatever you were phoning me about was urgent, you can leave a message on voicemail, or send a text.

--
Send all problems by email
Only phone me with EMERGENCY problems (e.g. LPT1 on fire)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote

This is the first to get through the net, since I installed
our BT 8500's with the TruCall system 8-o .

The system logged a series of calls from 01134196912. Which at first
glance suggested it might have been a genuine and local number, so
I tried ringing it back and it rang unanswered, though it did sound a
bit odd the ringing tone. The caller had failed to announce their name
and press # to get through in each of their calls.

Why the feck would you ring an unknown cold caller back?

So you can put that number or the part of it that
indicates that it isnt a real number in the blacklist.

Seems to negate the whole point in buying a TruCall unit in the first
place.

No it doesnt.

Now you've also confirmed that your number
has a potentially gullible person on the end of it.

Sure, but it can't get thru again once its in the blacklist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

OK, so you stated it poorly.

And we're about to get FTTN/VDSL and that has the landline
bundled with it too, you cant get it without a landline service.

Corse you don't have to plug a phone into it and some of my mates don't.

Much less nuisance calls,

I get **** all now I'm on our do not call register, maybe one a week
in a bad week. And when one calls me anyway I just tell them that
they arent allowed to call me when its clear who they are, and they
just hang up without saying a word most of the time.

Our service don't work that good.

Plenty claim ours doesn't too.

and I can see the number.

I can on the landline too, but that does cost me $5/month.

And still get quite a few with the number suppressed.

I only answer those in my contacts list, or mobile phones (as these tend
to be actual people),

Mad.

any other landline phoning me I look up first, then dial back.

Too much farting around IMO. I just answer it if I'm not doing
something else and can do that easily and tell them they arent
allowed to call me when its obvious its someone flogging stuff.

I only get the odd one on the mobile, about once every 2 months,

I don't get anything like that many on my mobile,
I might have got one in the whole time I have had
a mobile and that is decades now.

That might well be because our system means that you can't
call mobiles using a voip service for anything like the very low
cost per call that you can when calling landlines tho.

usually trying again and again twenty times over a week.

I have had a bit of that, but not with numbers
that high, usually only 1 a day from those.

Sometimes I pick up the phone and yell abuse at them.

I usually abuse the worst of the arseholes that claim to be
calling from Microsoft etc when I've got nothing useful to do
with my time. I mostly just say 'you're lying' and they hang up.

One was Eon energy, which I've never dealt with.

I just had my ISP call me to offer me decent rates on my electricity
and gas and have just changed to them. But that is because I had
been considering shopping around for the best rates for electricity,
I don't have gas, and had decided not to previously because I was
on grandfathered rated because of the political situation here with
the privatisation of the electricity suppliers. He told me about a
very decent govt web site that allows you to compare the rates
for all except what they will pay you to change to them that made
it clear that the grandfathered rates had finished so I got off my
arse and compared them all and discovered that my ISP offers
the best handouts to change to them and close to the best rates
too, so agreed to change to them. I might well keep changing
suppliers at a fast rate to exploit the very competitive situation
here currently now.

I gave them a good rant about them ripping people off and didn't let them
get a word in edgeways.

I bet that saw him hang himself as soon as the call ended.

I have had quite a few useful calls over the years, one from the
local cop shop telling me that they had some of my stuff down
the cop shop because they had nabbed some stupid kids who
had been walking around the streets with a wheel barrow, quite
literally, helping themselves to stuff out of any cars they could
get into. I'd been out to a ****up the night before, in the days
before I starting brewing my own and had got a 6 pack from the
local drive thru bottle shop where they had you what you want
thru the passengers front door window and I had managed to
forget to lock that door in the 73 Golf that doesn't have central
locking.

Had someone I know very well manage to get robbed in Egypt
and lost all their cards and cash etc who called me to tell him
which numbers to call to have the cards cancelled too.

I also had that one quite literally ring me from the loony bin to ask
me which region free DVD player his wife should get and bring to
him in the loony bin so he could play his pirated DVDs on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 19:26:57 -0000, Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I'm lazy :-P

And we're about to get FTTN/VDSL and that has the landline
bundled with it too, you cant get it without a landline service.

Corse you don't have to plug a phone into it and some of my mates don't.

Much less nuisance calls,

I get **** all now I'm on our do not call register, maybe one a week
in a bad week. And when one calls me anyway I just tell them that
they arent allowed to call me when its clear who they are, and they
just hang up without saying a word most of the time.

Our service don't work that good.

Plenty claim ours doesn't too.

Pot luck? Who knows. With ours they can still call you if you're a customer, which seems to be used loosely.

and I can see the number.

I can on the landline too, but that does cost me $5/month.

And still get quite a few with the number suppressed.

I only answer those in my contacts list, or mobile phones (as these tend
to be actual people),

Mad.

any other landline phoning me I look up first, then dial back.

Too much farting around IMO. I just answer it if I'm not doing
something else and can do that easily and tell them they arent
allowed to call me when its obvious its someone flogging stuff.

I only get the odd one on the mobile, about once every 2 months,

I don't get anything like that many on my mobile,
I might have got one in the whole time I have had
a mobile and that is decades now.

Depends how much you give the number out.

That might well be because our system means that you can't
call mobiles using a voip service for anything like the very low
cost per call that you can when calling landlines tho.

Must be something similar here, as mobiles get far less nuisance calls than landlines.

I've had them calling at 7am, which makes me ****ing mad as I charge the phone next to my bed.

[...]

I don't need calls to do that, I used a website years ago to select the cheapest provider for energy.

I gave them a good rant about them ripping people off and didn't let them
get a word in edgeways.

I bet that saw him hang himself as soon as the call ended.

This did, this is a call left on my answerphone after I abused a BT Internet employee who called me from Ireland so I mistakenly assumed he was calling to sell me something:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m3e8f4qe2...pdesk.mp3?dl=0

And this is a call someone else got from the same company and is all over the internet:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/keoyw2jlm5...esman.mp3?dl=0

[...]

Odd.

--
My memory sucks, so I changed my computer password to incorrect. That way if I forget it, it tells me "your password is incorrect".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Very odd indeed that one. Love to have been a fly on the wall in the
court when he was frog marched off to the loony bin. Apparently he
proclaimed to the magistrate that they couldn't frog march him off
to the loony bin because that breached our freedom of religion
provision in our constitution. He initially came completely out of
his tree when a post in one of the online forums ended up with a
message number of 666 and he decided that some god or other
was trying to communicate with him direction and that was the
proof of that.

What was fascinating was how remarkably rational and coherent
he was to talk to even when he had just been frog marched off
to the bin. The DVD player I suggested he get his wife to get has
a surprisingly complicated way of making it region free, so I told
him to call me again when he had it and we'd set it up on the phone.
He managed that fine and was complete coherent all the time.

Got some utterly bizarre ideas, like the EU should be spending
vast sums of money on a military system so that when the US
gets too uppity the EU can **** them over militarily.

He converted to islam too and has been proclaiming for more
than a decade that what the world needs is a return to a caliphate.

Love to see his ASIS file. That's our equivalent of your MI5.

He showed up at the chinese embassy and demanded that
they accept him as a political refugee. They called the cops
and he got frog marched off to the loony bin again.

He's got his own web site. Completely barking mad but
surprisingly coherent when raving.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 21:25:02 -0000, Chris Green wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Google failed to find that, for some reason. The comments made there,
are similar to what took place. They knew my name.

I disconnected my landline and only use my mobile. Much less nuisance calls,
and I can see the number.

Hardly a 'mobile only' facility.

Tends to be. Every single mobile has it, and very few landphones do.

Hardly 'very few', I think most of the ones that I have access to have
the caller's number available and/or shown. Our DECT phones are so
similar to a mobile that many people forget that they're *not* mobiles.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 21:25:02 -0000, Chris Green wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Google failed to find that, for some reason. The comments made
there, are similar to what took place. They knew my name.

I disconnected my landline and only use my mobile. Much less
nuisance calls, and I can see the number.

Hardly a 'mobile only' facility.

Tends to be. Every single mobile has it, and very few landphones do.

Hardly 'very few', I think most of the ones that I have access to have
the caller's number available and/or shown. Our DECT phones are so
similar to a mobile that many people forget that they're *not* mobiles.

With BT caller display isn't a standard feature. You have to ask for it
and IIRC pay too.

--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But unless they change their number you zapped him for next time. In fact
the hash idea only stops pre recorded calls, humans can use hash or if this
is switched off, not press it, it matters not. The ones that can get through
seem to be the ones that change their number all the time, but at present
these are very very rare, as time is money to these people and for them
simply moving on is easier than going through to you via say name, as they
will obviously know what you will do when they start their pitch.
That is where the system relies on the human factor.
My big issue is this.
I'm not getting calls I should because organisations like NHS will just put
the phone down not realising its just screening the call, and they often
display no number either as its through a switchboard. They hence seem to
give up.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :
With BT caller display isn't a standard feature. You have to ask for it
and IIRC pay too.

It was free on Talktalk, you just needed to select it. Now on Plusnet,
they charge us 99p per month for the feature, but it is essential to
allow the Trucall to do its magic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote on 11/11/2016 :
But unless they change their number you zapped him for next time. In fact the
hash idea only stops pre recorded calls, humans can use hash or if this is
switched off, not press it, it matters not.

Well the vaste majority of such callers do use pre-recerded now.

The ones that can get through
seem to be the ones that change their number all the time, but at present
these are very very rare, as time is money to these people and for them
simply moving on is easier than going through to you via say name, as they
will obviously know what you will do when they start their pitch.

They don't change actual numbers, they change the spoofed number, the
number presented as caller ID - which takes them seconds to do.

That is where the system relies on the human factor.
My big issue is this.
I'm not getting calls I should because organisations like NHS will just put
the phone down not realising its just screening the call, and they often
display no number either as its through a switchboard. They hence seem to
give up.
Brian

Which is where giving such organisations a mobile number, as an
alternative, works.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
My big issue is this. I'm not getting calls I should because
organisations like NHS will just put the phone down not realising its
just screening the call, and they often display no number either as its
through a switchboard. They hence seem to give up.

My large doctor's surgery contacted me recently about a flue jab. They too
have a switchboard with outgoing only lines (or whatever) that show up as
withheld. But the receptionist had no problems with my Truecall. I'd guess
anyone who used the phone a lot for this sort of things would be used to
it.

It's a reason I got the stand alone unit which allows you to copy and
paste your phonebook into it online. I can imagine some of my old work
colleagues being thrown by it. The sort who phone up for a chat once in a
while. Hence wanting my entire phone book in the system - which would have
taken for ever to enter manually.

--
*By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old to go anywhere.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

My large doctor's surgery contacted me recently about a flue jab.

!! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 09:30:16 -0000, Chris Green wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 21:25:02 -0000, Chris Green wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Google failed to find that, for some reason. The comments made there,
are similar to what took place. They knew my name.

I disconnected my landline and only use my mobile. Much less nuisance calls,
and I can see the number.

Hardly a 'mobile only' facility.

Tends to be. Every single mobile has it, and very few landphones do.

Hardly 'very few', I think most of the ones that I have access to have
the caller's number available and/or shown. Our DECT phones are so
similar to a mobile that many people forget that they're *not* mobiles.

Depends what you pay for the phone. I've always just grabbed the cheapest phone possible, or sometimes gone for a cordless. It's just a bloody phone, I don't need chrome plated edging.

--
Just got back from my mate's funeral. He died after being hit on the head with a tennis ball. It was a lovely service.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:58:46 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 21:25:02 -0000, Chris Green wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Google failed to find that, for some reason. The comments made
there, are similar to what took place. They knew my name.

I disconnected my landline and only use my mobile. Much less
nuisance calls, and I can see the number.

Hardly a 'mobile only' facility.

Tends to be. Every single mobile has it, and very few landphones do.

Hardly 'very few', I think most of the ones that I have access to have
the caller's number available and/or shown. Our DECT phones are so
similar to a mobile that many people forget that they're *not* mobiles.

With BT caller display isn't a standard feature. You have to ask for it
and IIRC pay too.

It's either 50p or £1 a month.

--
Hit the button marked 'STOP' with remaining hand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

.... and what does your mobile cost?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 18:32:52 -0000, Chris Green wrote:

[...]

It was free. My neighbour has one of those expensive contracts which gives him a new one every couple of years. They don't want the old one back.

But any price of mobile will give you caller ID.

--
Riots in Birmingham last month caused over £1 million worth of improvements.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/16 18:32, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Mine costs nothing., I never use it

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It was free to you, I've acquired all sorts of phones that way but it
doesn't really mean much. A mobile phone is fundamentally a much more
expensive device than a POTS one.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

No running costs, but the hardware?

--
Chris Green
·

OT caller-id micky Home Repair 49 June 23rd 13 05:35 AM
Caller ID data Chuck Norisez[_2_] Electronics Repair 1 September 23rd 08 02:22 AM
Question about caller ID Ken[_6_] Electronics Repair 15 February 6th 08 02:57 AM
Question about Caller-ID Phones zeez Home Repair 7 August 1st 07 02:34 PM
Phones - Caller i/d (a bit OT) John UK diy 38 November 23rd 06 10:58 AM