Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default A nuisance caller got through TruCall

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 19:26:57 -0000, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote on 10/11/2016 :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
This is the first to get through the net, since I installed our BT
8500's with the TruCall system 8-o .

The system logged a series of calls from 01134196912. Which at first
glance suggested it might have been a genuine and local number, so I
tried ringing it back and it rang unanswered, though it did sound a
bit odd the ringing tone. The caller had failed to announce their
name and press # to get through in each of their calls.

Then I tried to trace where the call had originated 0113 is a Leeds
code, also our area code, except all of our codes (so far as I am
aware) have a 2 following the code - 0113 2??????. 01134 didn't seem
to exist, or so it seemed from Google.

The same caller tried again, this time said his name and pressed #. I
accepted the call and from the accent it was probably a call from
either Australia or maybe South Africa. The caller wanted me to take a
survey - I will not repeat here what I said to him.

http://www.unknownphone.com/search.php?num=01134196912

Google failed to find that, for some reason. The comments made there,
are similar to what took place. They knew my name.

I disconnected my landline and only use my mobile.

Can't do that here, we don't have naked DSL in my town.

Guess that does mean you wont be moving here any time soon.

And we're about to get FTTN/VDSL and that has the landline
bundled with it too, you cant get it without a landline service.

Corse you don't have to plug a phone into it and some of my mates don't.

Much less nuisance calls,

I get **** all now I'm on our do not call register, maybe one a week
in a bad week. And when one calls me anyway I just tell them that
they arent allowed to call me when its clear who they are, and they
just hang up without saying a word most of the time.

and I can see the number.

I can on the landline too, but that does cost me $5/month.

And still get quite a few with the number suppressed.

I only answer those in my contacts list, or mobile phones (as these tend
to be actual people),

Mad.

any other landline phoning me I look up first, then dial back.

Too much farting around IMO. I just answer it if I'm not doing
something else and can do that easily and tell them they arent
allowed to call me when its obvious its someone flogging stuff.

I have had quite a few useful calls over the years, one from the
local cop shop telling me that they had some of my stuff down
the cop shop because they had nabbed some stupid kids who
had been walking around the streets with a wheel barrow, quite
literally, helping themselves to stuff out of any cars they could
get into. I'd been out to a ****up the night before, in the days
before I starting brewing my own and had got a 6 pack from the
local drive thru bottle shop where they had you what you want
thru the passengers front door window and I had managed to
forget to lock that door in the 73 Golf that doesn't have central locking.

Had someone I know very well manage to get robbed in Egypt
and lost all their cards and cash etc who called me to tell him
which numbers to call to have the cards cancelled too.