Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Phones - Caller i/d (a bit OT)

My daughter wants a new DCT phone and would like caller identification. Been
reading up and it appears that many types of calls do not display the
caller. Is this a fact?

Do they only display names where the number and name has been programmed in
(like with a mobile?) or do they display all numbers?

Is it reliable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
My daughter wants a new DCT phone and would like caller identification.
Been reading up and it appears that many types of calls do not display the
caller. Is this a fact?

Do they only display names where the number and name has been programmed
in (like with a mobile?) or do they display all numbers?

Is it reliable?

The only information sent by the phone company is the phone number or a code
to indicate the number is "unavailable", "withheld" etc. Your phone, will
then look through its own address book and try to match the incoming number
with a name. If it finds a match then it displays the name. If no match is
found then it displays the number. So they work just like a mobile phone
would.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
My daughter wants a new DCT phone and would like caller
identification. Been reading up and it appears that many types of
calls do not display the caller. Is this a fact?

Do they only display names where the number and name has been
programmed in (like with a mobile?) or do they display all numbers?

Is it reliable?

My cordless phones display all UK landline and mobile numbers unless they're
withheld. If a caller from foreignland is trying to scam me/get me to buy a
mobile phone it says "out of area".

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
My daughter wants a new DCT phone and would like caller
identification. Been reading up and it appears that many types of
calls do not display the caller. Is this a fact?

Do they only display names where the number and name has been
programmed in (like with a mobile?) or do they display all numbers?

Is it reliable?

Oh...and it displays 0845 (etc) numbers too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
wrote
My daughter wants a new DCT phone and would like caller identification. Been
reading up and it appears that many types of calls do not display the
caller. Is this a fact?

Do they only display names where the number and name has been programmed in
(like with a mobile?) or do they display all numbers?

Is it reliable?

With BT, when presented by the caller the telephone number is
displayed. If the number is withheld then 'Withheld' is displayed. Most
junk calls that I get now come from aboard and the display just shows
'International'.

My display unit can display names but this is a function of my own
equipment changing programmed numbers to names.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
John wrote:
My daughter wants a new DCT phone and would like caller
identification. Been reading up and it appears that many types of
calls do not display the caller. Is this a fact?

Do they only display names where the number and name has been
programmed in (like with a mobile?) or do they display all numbers?

Is it reliable?

My cordless phones display all UK landline and mobile numbers unless
they're withheld. If a caller from foreignland is trying to scam me/get me
to buy a mobile phone it says "out of area".

You're lucky.

Most networks are incapable of telling the difference
between "customer withheld" and "lost somewhere
by the network".

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 12:35:53 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , John
wrote
My daughter wants a new DCT phone and would like caller identification. Been
reading up and it appears that many types of calls do not display the
caller. Is this a fact?

Do they only display names where the number and name has been programmed in
(like with a mobile?) or do they display all numbers?

Is it reliable?

With BT, when presented by the caller the telephone number is
displayed. If the number is withheld then 'Withheld' is displayed. Most
junk calls that I get now come from aboard and the display just shows
'International'.

My display unit can display names but this is a function of my own
equipment changing programmed numbers to names.

My BT phone shows "Private" rather than "witheld " but that might be down to my
Binatone cordless phone setup. .Otherwise either numbers are shown or the name
of the caller if it is my phone's Memory
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
My daughter wants a new DCT phone and would like caller
identification. Been reading up and it appears that many types of
calls do not display the caller. Is this a fact?

Do they only display names where the number and name has been
programmed in (like with a mobile?) or do they display all numbers?

Is it reliable?

Oh...and it displays 0845 (etc) numbers too.

The system allows for the use of 'presentation' numers
instead of the real number. A displayed 0845 number
will be the one that has been deliberately presented to
you, as no-one actually dials out from an 0845 number.

This system is used by corporates who want all of
their outgoing calls presented as coming from
the one number. This is so that people don't ring
back to the outgoing operator who just happens
to be sitting at the desk that your call came from

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:57:03 GMT, "John"
wrote:

My daughter wants a new DCT phone and would like caller identification. Been
reading up and it appears that many types of calls do not display the
caller. Is this a fact?

Yes, many calls using third party handlers such as 18866 or VOIP
originated calls will not show caller ID (and in some cases
misleading information like "overseas"!).

Some places which have a single incoming number, such as Doctors
surgeries, often withhold caller ID on outgoing calls from other
numbers. They could show something called a presentation number but
few do.

Some sales organisations show withheld or completely garbage numbers
(the latter invariably because of badly configured systems rather
than malign intent).

Do they only display names where the number and name has been programmed in
(like with a mobile?)

Yes.

or do they display all numbers?

Where number information is provided by the exchange.

Is it reliable?

What do you mean by reliable? For all practical purposes it cannot
be spoofed, so if 01442 123456 is displayed the call will be coming
from that number or that organisation (if it is a presentation
number). A normal caller cannot fool CLID (although VOIP originated
calls can appear to in some cases).

Will it display all numbers - no, as many calls don't include number
information.

Is what it says correct - no in that indirect calls and VOIP calls
may show as international when they are local (this isn't a fault -
the indirect carriers and VOIP suppliers find it cheaper to route
calls via overseas links at certain times of the day).

Be aware that if your phone service is provided by other than BT some
cable operators exchanges still use a different CLID system to the BT
one so make sure you get a phone which suits the system you have.

However, as it is free and as nearly all DECT phones incorporate it,
it is worth having. Don't forget you do have to ask for it to be
activated on the line.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 12:50:54 +0000, Peter Parry wrote:

snipped .

However, as it is free and as nearly all DECT phones incorporate it,
it is worth having. Don't forget you do have to ask for it to be
activated on the line.

Free ONLY with BT Privacy At Home as far as I know .

http://tinyurl.com/y3kjdg

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
Is it reliable?

With BT, when presented by the caller the telephone number is
displayed. If the number is withheld then 'Withheld' is displayed. Most
junk calls that I get now come from aboard and the display just shows
'International'.

For me that's quite useful. If I get an international call displayed on
the unit, I pick up the handset and *wait* until the other caller speaks
before making any sound.

If it is a genuine international call I will respond, if it is a
'congratulations, you have won blah..' tape i will drop, if it is
silence I will hold until they cut off (10 seconds or so off *their*
phone bill)

If you make a sound when you pick up the call, then the calling centre
routes the call to a human who you really don't want to talk to.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , John
wrote
My daughter wants a new DCT phone and would like caller identification.
Been
reading up and it appears that many types of calls do not display the
caller. Is this a fact?

Do they only display names where the number and name has been programmed
in
(like with a mobile?) or do they display all numbers?

Is it reliable?

With BT, when presented by the caller the telephone number is displayed.
If the number is withheld then 'Withheld' is displayed. Most junk calls
that I get now come from aboard and the display just shows
'International'.

I received a spate of 'silent calls' and some displaying the word
'INTERNATIONAL' too; eventually one of the calls conected to a guy claiming
in an almost unitelligible accent to represent 'INTERNATIONAL ... SURVEYS
(Ltd?) of Grenada (in the Carribean).
I'm assuming that 'INTERNATIONAL' was the same outfit with the 'silent
calls' and that my Phone's LCD panel wasn't long enough - perish the thought
that they'd thought through the misleading title and tried to entice folks
into answering ... !
Complaints to TPS evoked a response ;- 'International Surveys are seeking
your opinion and not directly trying to sell you anything - nothing we can
do!' ( I paraphrased ).

My display unit can display names but this is a function of my own
equipment changing programmed numbers to names.

True.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , John
wrote
[...]

No,

A name is never transmitted to your phone.

Only a calling number or the withheld/unknown/etc code.

This is then converted to a name by your phone.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

My daughter wants a new DCT phone and would like caller
identification. Been reading up and it appears that many types of
calls do not display the caller. Is this a fact?

Do they only display names where the number and name has been
programmed in (like with a mobile?) or do they display all numbers?

Is it reliable?

Oh...and it displays 0845 (etc) numbers too.

The system allows for the use of 'presentation' numers
instead of the real number. A displayed 0845 number
will be the one that has been deliberately presented to
you, as no-one actually dials out from an 0845 number.

This system is used by corporates who want all of
their outgoing calls presented as coming from
the one number. This is so that people don't ring
back to the outgoing operator who just happens
to be sitting at the desk that your call came from

Nice bit of information there :-)

Many thanks, Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim(yet another new home)" wrote in message

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , John
wrote
[...]

Hmm ? My 'phone doesn't have an alphastring of 'INTERNATIONAL' anywhere in
it's library of names .... examines handset ( six stored in total with
alphastrings of WORK, MOBILE, DOCTOR etc. ). What is the source for
'INTERNATIONAL' ? {Philips DECT ... model not discernable }

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Sharrock" writes:

I received a spate of 'silent calls' and some displaying the word
'INTERNATIONAL' too

It's really annoying BT won't give you the international number.
If you divert the call to your mobile, you will get the international
number presented.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Sharrock" writes:
Hmm ? My 'phone doesn't have an alphastring of 'INTERNATIONAL' anywhere in
it's library of names .... examines handset ( six stored in total with
alphastrings of WORK, MOBILE, DOCTOR etc. ). What is the source for
'INTERNATIONAL' ? {Philips DECT ... model not discernable }

BT sends it in the name field of the callerid for international
calls, and also sets the unavailable flag. Other strings I've
seen turn up in there are PAYPHONE, WITHHELD (matches the
withheld flag), UNAVAILABLE (matches the unavailable flag,
except when international), OPERATOR.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:19:58 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

Hmm ? My 'phone doesn't have an alphastring of 'INTERNATIONAL' anywhere in
it's library of names .... examines handset ( six stored in total with
alphastrings of WORK, MOBILE, DOCTOR etc. ). What is the source for
'INTERNATIONAL' ?

The phone firmware - also for "unavailable" and "withheld" (which is
why different people see different words on different phones - it
depends what the manufacturer has put in so withheld may display as
"private". CLI is passed in the UK between the first a second ring
as a tone burst and comprises only numbers.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:50:32 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

For me that's quite useful. If I get an international call displayed on
the unit, I pick up the handset and *wait* until the other caller
speaks before making any sound.

I don't say anything until the reciever is at my ear for all calls. If
there is no background noise, just silence, I don't say anything. What
happens next depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I wait the 10 seconds
or so until the call centers equipment finally finds a free operator and
connects me to them. I then only say "hello" a few seconds after each
time they have finished speaking. Other times I just place the reciever
next to me and carry on with what ever I was doing, ignoring the little
voice saying "hello? hello?". Can take quite a long time before they give
up, Iike this one as if the CCO is trying to talk to me they aren't
annoying someone else.

If you make a sound when you pick up the call, then the calling centre
routes the call to a human who you really don't want to talk to.

I don't think that happens. Silent calls are just the call centre kit
dialing calls before there is an operator free to take the call the
moment it is answered (if it is). Having a CCO not talking to someone
costs money.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
wrote
Stuart wrote:
Is it reliable?
With BT, when presented by the caller the telephone number is
displayed. If the number is withheld then 'Withheld' is displayed.
Most junk calls that I get now come from aboard and the display just
shows 'International'.

For me that's quite useful. If I get an international call displayed on
the unit, I pick up the handset and *wait* until the other caller
speaks before making any sound.

I let the answerphone respond to these 'international' calls.
Unfortunately these *******s have a habit of using an automated message
to fill up the message space in the answerphone. I've recently had six
calls in the space of half an hour all leaving a two minute repeating
message ' Congratulations you have won ..............just phone this
(premium rate?) number to claim your prize"

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Parry writes:

The phone firmware - also for "unavailable" and "withheld" (which is
why different people see different words on different phones - it
depends what the manufacturer has put in so withheld may display as
"private".

They are passed as a flag, and also in the text field of
the callerid data. (Not all callerid devices will display
the text field, as BT abandoned using it for peoples' names
very early on after a trial in one area.)

There are a number of occasions when BT proves additional
info in the text field of the callerid data, as I described
earlier. (Actually, I missed one out which I've seen,
RINGBACK, which also mirrors the ringback call type in the
callerid data.)

CLI is passed in the UK between the first a second ring
as a tone burst and comprises only numbers.

That's how the BELL system works. BT sends the data before
the first ring, preceded by a line reversal. There's also
an off-hook signalling method which is used during call
waiting, but that requires that the phone indicates it can
take the data when off-hook, or it's not sent.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Brian Sharrock" writes:
Hmm ? My 'phone doesn't have an alphastring of 'INTERNATIONAL' anywhere
in
it's library of names .... examines handset ( six stored in total with
alphastrings of WORK, MOBILE, DOCTOR etc. ). What is the source for
'INTERNATIONAL' ? {Philips DECT ... model not discernable }

BT sends it in the name field of the callerid for international
calls, and also sets the unavailable flag. Other strings I've
seen turn up in there are PAYPHONE, WITHHELD (matches the
withheld flag), UNAVAILABLE (matches the unavailable flag,
except when international), OPERATOR.

Thanks ! So the string is not originating _in_ my library of stored numbers.
'They' transmit strings as well as numbers for CLID.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
If you make a sound when you pick up the call, then the calling centre
routes the call to a human who you really don't want to talk to.

I don't think that happens. Silent calls are just the call centre kit
dialing calls before there is an operator free to take the call the
moment it is answered (if it is). Having a CCO not talking to someone
costs money.

I must be plagued with different operators than you ;-)

I get a few of these a month, and previously when I have said "hello" an
operator has either responded back, or the line drops immediately. Now I
say nothing and wait for someone to make the first move. They never do,
silence and the line drops ;-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from James Hawkins contains these words:

Does anyone know specifically why they don't do this, or don't at
least present the country of origin?

I would imagine that the originating country uses a different system to
ours and that the data isn't present or not in a form that BT can be
arsed to decode.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from James Hawkins contains these words:

Does anyone know specifically why they don't do this, or don't at
least present the country of origin?

I would imagine that the originating country uses a different system to
ours and that the data isn't present or not in a form that BT can be
arsed to decode.

not just BT.

I was working in Asia this year and incoming calls from
home were displayed as something like 000694000
which bore no resemblence to the real number.

If I missed a call, I had no idea who to call back.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:33:02 GMT, James Hawkins
wrote:

Does anyone know specifically why they don't do this, or don't at
least present the country of origin?

The calls route through a number of countries and the routes change
by the minute depending upon bulk traffic costs. The originating
country isn't always easy to work out (as CLI information isn't
universal).

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone know specifically why they don't do this, or don't at
least present the country of origin?

The calls route through a number of countries and the routes change
by the minute depending upon bulk traffic costs. The originating
country isn't always easy to work out (as CLI information isn't
universal).

If I redirect my landline to my mobile, international callerid is
displayed, so BT clearly have it and pass it on in the redirection.
It usually looks reasonable (it's always correct in the case of
callers I know), but occasionally it's clearly garbage.

There may be problems with some of the exchanges not being able
to handle international numbers in the callerid software (e.g.
more digits). That's the only reason I can imagine BT mark all
international calls with UNAVAILABLE when they clearly do have
the number to hand.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Simpson wrote:

On another occasion when I got one, it was from a mate
of mine in Cheshire. Knowing he gets about a bit, I asked him where he
was calling from, to which he replied "home". Turns out that he had
some cheap calls deal with Wanadoo, so they were probably being routed
via France.

Calls made to my BT-line from Skype also show as 'International'

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Do they only display names where the number and name has been programmed in
(like with a mobile?) or do they display all numbers?

They display all numbers of the person calling, unless that person has
deliberately withheld their number. I have had a lot of silent calls
to my office but not to my home which is ex-directory, they do indeed
display the number calling, this information is also logged, so that
information can be used later if these are malicious calls and are
admissable in litigation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes

If you make a sound when you pick up the call, then the calling centre
routes the call to a human who you really don't want to talk to.

I don't think that happens. Silent calls are just the call centre kit
dialing calls before there is an operator free to take the call the
moment it is answered (if it is). Having a CCO not talking to someone
costs money.

Which is why I always tell them to wait a minute while I go and get the
householder

.... and see how long it takes for them to drop the line

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mungo "Two Sheds"
Toadfoot wrote:
If a caller from foreignland is trying to scam me/get me to buy a
mobile phone it says "out of area".

We get an irregular alternation of "Out of area", "Withheld",
and "Unavailable" when the mother-in-law phones from Belgorod
(Russia-Ukraine border). Can't see any pattern to why it gives each
message.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:

I get a number of calls from one overseas number direct to a mobile
and they variously show up as the number itself, a meaningless
number, international or withheld. How well the originating CLI
survives seems to depend entirely upon the route taken which these
days of purchase of bulk data can bear no relationship to the
physical localities.

I vaguely remember seeing a BT document about this some years ago and
believe they made the decision to show "International" as it was at
least consistent rather than varying the display of information
depending upon the time of day and direction the wind was blowing
from! (I could equally be entirely wrong as it was a decade ago).

I have just been tinkering around with VOIP at home.
Using a company called voipcheap.com to dial out gives 5 hours/week
worth of free calls to loads of countries including UK, and UK mobiles
for a paltry 4p/minute (0.06 Euro)

Only slight (or significant) downside is Caller ID shows up as "out of
area" because it is going via US presumably.

As long as your friends know you'll be "out of area" I guess it's not a
problem.

:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/Polar Heart Rate Monitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.