Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock Brian Sharrock is offline

Default Phones - Caller i/d (a bit OT)

"tim(yet another new home)" wrote in message

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , John
wrote
My daughter wants a new DCT phone and would like caller identification.
Been
reading up and it appears that many types of calls do not display the
caller. Is this a fact?

Do they only display names where the number and name has been programmed
in
(like with a mobile?) or do they display all numbers?

Is it reliable?

With BT, when presented by the caller the telephone number is
displayed. If the number is withheld then 'Withheld' is displayed. Most
junk calls that I get now come from aboard and the display just shows
'International'.

I received a spate of 'silent calls' and some displaying the word
'INTERNATIONAL' too; eventually one of the calls conected to a guy
claiming in an almost unitelligible accent to represent 'INTERNATIONAL
... SURVEYS (Ltd?) of Grenada (in the Carribean).
I'm assuming that 'INTERNATIONAL' was the same outfit with the 'silent
calls' and that my Phone's LCD panel wasn't long enough

No,

A name is never transmitted to your phone.

Only a calling number or the withheld/unknown/etc code.

This is then converted to a name by your phone.

tim

Hmm ? My 'phone doesn't have an alphastring of 'INTERNATIONAL' anywhere in
it's library of names .... examines handset ( six stored in total with
alphastrings of WORK, MOBILE, DOCTOR etc. ). What is the source for
'INTERNATIONAL' ? {Philips DECT ... model not discernable }

--

Brian