Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ¬) Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ¬) is offline

Default Phones - Caller i/d (a bit OT)

Peter Parry wrote:

I get a number of calls from one overseas number direct to a mobile
and they variously show up as the number itself, a meaningless
number, international or withheld. How well the originating CLI
survives seems to depend entirely upon the route taken which these
days of purchase of bulk data can bear no relationship to the
physical localities.

I vaguely remember seeing a BT document about this some years ago and
believe they made the decision to show "International" as it was at
least consistent rather than varying the display of information
depending upon the time of day and direction the wind was blowing
from! (I could equally be entirely wrong as it was a decade ago).

I have just been tinkering around with VOIP at home.
Using a company called voipcheap.com to dial out gives 5 hours/week
worth of free calls to loads of countries including UK, and UK mobiles
for a paltry 4p/minute (0.06 Euro)

Only slight (or significant) downside is Caller ID shows up as "out of
area" because it is going via US presumably.

As long as your friends know you'll be "out of area" I guess it's not a
problem.

:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/Polar Heart Rate Monitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.