Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY fun

Had lots of little jobs to do this week.

1) Get rid of old PVC window frame and glass.
Bought Butane torch and melted corners of frame so I could fold it into a small enough size to take to the tip.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvbJis-XYAApcPq.jpg

2) Used sanding disc and blowtorch to get rid of old paint prior to painting and also fitted one of four PIR LED floodlights.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvbKDVGW8AAkImU.jpg

2019 holiday planning.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvZEd6iWEAAVB04.jpg

Jobs I had to pay for.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cj4KejwXAAESfZF.jpg

New front subframe £2000, full valet and bodywork polish £80, DAB radio fitting £175.

New jobs - track down the surgeon who saved my leg to thank him, rail trip to Manchester for 58 b/day, reply to NCP when threatening letter arrives, trip to Penzance, pop concert in Dortmund, cycling club dinner, BP old boys dinner, new dentures, hair cut and vele vele andere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 05:22, Simon Mason wrote:
Had lots of little jobs to do this week.

Jobs I had to pay for.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cj4KejwXAAESfZF.jpg

New front subframe £2000, full valet and bodywork polish £80, DAB
radio fitting £175.

You spent over £2k on a car that's worth £1500 - if you are lucky?

You are a special kind of stupid.....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 05:22:11 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
cycling club dinner, BP old boys dinner, new dentures, hair cut

I'd suggest getting the teeth and haircut before the dinners. Then you'll look smart and be able to eat.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 10:39:48 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
On 23/10/2016 05:22, Simon Mason wrote:
Had lots of little jobs to do this week.

Jobs I had to pay for.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cj4KejwXAAESfZF.jpg

New front subframe £2000, full valet and bodywork polish £80, DAB
radio fitting £175.

You spent over £2k on a car that's worth £1500 - if you are lucky?

You are a special kind of stupid.....

My car cost £24000 new, I got it for £13000 and it is worth £5000 today. Binning a car that cost £24000 for the sake of a £2000 part IS really stupid.

Once done it will last me another 10 years easy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 14:08, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 23 October 2016 10:39:48 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
On 23/10/2016 05:22, Simon Mason wrote:
Had lots of little jobs to do this week.

Jobs I had to pay for.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cj4KejwXAAESfZF.jpg

New front subframe £2000, full valet and bodywork polish £80, DAB
radio fitting £175.

You spent over £2k on a car that's worth £1500 - if you are lucky?

You are a special kind of stupid.....

My car cost £24000 new, I got it for £13000 and it is worth £5000 today. Binning a car that cost £24000 for the sake of a £2000 part IS really stupid.

Once done it will last me another 10 years easy.

But they only sell for £2.5k-£3.5k retail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 23/10/2016 14:08, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 23 October 2016 10:39:48 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
On 23/10/2016 05:22, Simon Mason wrote:
Had lots of little jobs to do this week.

Jobs I had to pay for.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cj4KejwXAAESfZF.jpg

New front subframe £2000, full valet and bodywork polish £80, DAB
radio fitting £175.

You spent over £2k on a car that's worth £1500 - if you are lucky?

You are a special kind of stupid.....

My car cost £24000 new, I got it for £13000 and it is worth £5000
today. Binning a car that cost £24000 for the sake of a £2000 part IS
really stupid.

Once done it will last me another 10 years easy.

But they only sell for £2.5k-£3.5k retail.

Most people haven't a clue what their car will actually fetch at sale time.

--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 14:46:07 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/10/2016 14:08, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 23 October 2016 10:39:48 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
On 23/10/2016 05:22, Simon Mason wrote:
Had lots of little jobs to do this week.

Jobs I had to pay for.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cj4KejwXAAESfZF.jpg

New front subframe £2000, full valet and bodywork polish £80, DAB
radio fitting £175.

You spent over £2k on a car that's worth £1500 - if you are lucky?

You are a special kind of stupid.....

My car cost £24000 new, I got it for £13000 and it is worth £5000 today. Binning a car that cost £24000 for the sake of a £2000 part IS really stupid.

Once done it will last me another 10 years easy.

But they only sell for £2.5k-£3.5k retail.

Yes, but I do not know how they have been treated/driven/serviced so I am happy to spend money on mine as it has a new clutch/tyres/water pump/power steering pump/alternator and battery, plus FSH.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 21:22:05 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

snip

New jobs - track down the surgeon who saved my leg to thank him, rail trip to Manchester for 58 b/day, reply to NCP when threatening letter arrives, trip to Penzance, pop concert in Dortmund, cycling club dinner, BP old boys dinner, new dentures, hair cut and vele vele andere.

Fascinating: you're obviously really quite well off.

I hope you've never published your home address in newsgroups - having given
the dates your house will be empty whilst on holiday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 07:31:56 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like Triggers broom:-)

And when in Krakow do visit the Wieliczcka salt mines and/or Oswiecim.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Judith wrote
Simon Mason wrote

New jobs - track down the surgeon who saved my leg
to thank him, rail trip to Manchester for 58 b/day, reply
to NCP when threatening letter arrives, trip to Penzance,
pop concert in Dortmund, cycling club dinner, BP old
boys dinner, new dentures, hair cut and vele vele andere.

Fascinating: you're obviously really quite well off.

I hope you've never published your home address in newsgroups -
having given the dates your house will be empty whilst on holiday.

He's actually posted a picture of the front of it and the car he owns
which isnt the most common around, and the name of the village.

But I doubt many burglars have even heard of usenet, let alone
waste their time combing it for those who spell out when they
will be away for a while.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 18:09:37 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Judith wrote
Simon Mason wrote

New jobs - track down the surgeon who saved my leg
to thank him, rail trip to Manchester for 58 b/day, reply
to NCP when threatening letter arrives, trip to Penzance,
pop concert in Dortmund, cycling club dinner, BP old
boys dinner, new dentures, hair cut and vele vele andere.

Fascinating: you're obviously really quite well off.

I hope you've never published your home address in newsgroups -
having given the dates your house will be empty whilst on holiday.

He's actually posted a picture of the front of it and the car he owns
which isnt the most common around, and the name of the village.

But I doubt many burglars have even heard of usenet, let alone
waste their time combing it for those who spell out when they
will be away for a while.

"judith" has been stalking me since 2011 and knows my shoe size and daughters' hair colour.

I am not bothered at all; he can smile at the 4 LED lights going off for the CCTV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 17:32:23 UTC+1, Judith wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 21:22:05 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

snip

New jobs - track down the surgeon who saved my leg to thank him, rail trip to Manchester for 58 b/day, reply to NCP when threatening letter arrives, trip to Penzance, pop concert in Dortmund, cycling club dinner, BP old boys dinner, new dentures, hair cut and vele vele andere.

Fascinating: you're obviously really quite well off.

I hope you've never published your home address in newsgroups - having given
the dates your house will be empty whilst on holiday.

Feel free to pop around - here are the dates in 2019.
Please wipe your feet though as we have just had the lounge floor polished.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqdnedYXgAAQaRN.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvZEd6iWEAAVB04.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 17:34:52 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

Sounds like Triggers broom:-)

And when in Krakow do visit the Wieliczcka salt mines and/or Oswiecim.

We drove to Krakow again last year and went to Oswiecim on the way to Wroclaw which we prefer to Krakow as it is less full of tourists and just as beautiful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 23 October 2016 17:32:23 UTC+1, Judith wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 21:22:05 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

snip

New jobs - track down the surgeon who saved my leg to thank him,
rail trip to Manchester for 58 b/day, reply to NCP when threatening
letter arrives, trip to Penzance, pop concert in Dortmund, cycling
club dinner, BP old boys dinner, new dentures, hair cut and vele
vele andere.

Fascinating: you're obviously really quite well off.

I hope you've never published your home address in newsgroups -
having given the dates your house will be empty whilst on holiday.

Feel free to pop around - here are the dates in 2019.
Please wipe your feet though as we have just had the lounge floor
polished.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqdnedYXgAAQaRN.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvZEd6iWEAAVB04.jpg

2019 ......... hic!
How does it feel to be so disliked Mr Mason?
Some here take a dim view of me. But I'm not attacked on every post that I
send.
Go drive a taxi for four days per week. It will get you away from your
keyboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 19:01:24 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

How does it feel to be so disliked Mr Mason?

The people that matter do not dislike me and are happy that I survived jumping off a bridge and getting run over by a truck. Stuff the rest.

Go drive a taxi for four days per week. It will get you away from your
keyboard.

I have a very nice car and when it gets a new subframe on 3NOV16 I will have to get a taxi to Brough to catch the train to Penzance. Two people first class return is £900 - should be a good out and back trip with an overnight stay in Cornwall - never been before.

Might get a job in Waitrose as they have very good shares and bonus schemes like BP did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 18:09, Rod Speed wrote:
Judith wrote
Simon Mason wrote

New jobs - track down the surgeon who saved my leg to thank him, rail
trip to Manchester for 58 b/day, reply to NCP when threatening letter
arrives, trip to Penzance, pop concert in Dortmund, cycling club
dinner, BP old boys dinner, new dentures, hair cut and vele vele andere.

Fascinating: you're obviously really quite well off.

I hope you've never published your home address in newsgroups - having
given the dates your house will be empty whilst on holiday.

He's actually posted a picture of the front of it and the car he owns
which isnt the most common around, and the name of the village.
But I doubt many burglars have even heard of usenet, let alone
waste their time combing it for those who spell out when they
will be away for a while.

I doubt if its his car, it has tax and insurance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/10/2016 18:39, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 23 October 2016 17:34:52 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

Sounds like Triggers broom:-)

And when in Krakow do visit the Wieliczcka salt mines and/or Oswiecim.

We drove to Krakow again last year and went to Oswiecim on the way to Wroclaw which we prefer to Krakow as it is less full of tourists and just as beautiful.

I've been to the salt mines near Salzburg. Really interesting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 15:31, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

I might agree with your sentiment but the cold reality is, if you have a
bump and it's written off, the most you'll get is £2.5k - £3.5k

There comes a time when it's not a good idea to pour money into
something of little value.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 23 October 2016 19:01:24 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

How does it feel to be so disliked Mr Mason?

The people that matter do not dislike me and are happy that I
survived jumping off a bridge and getting run over by a truck. Stuff
the rest.

How many people?
You MUST have a link! You always have a link................... ffs!
You being disliked in groups is all down to your mouth.

Go drive a taxi for four days per week. It will get you away from
your keyboard.

I have a very nice car and when it gets a new subframe on 3NOV16 I
will have to get a taxi to Brough to catch the train to Penzance. Two
people first class return is £900 - should be a good out and back
trip with an overnight stay in Cornwall - never been before.

Is that the Brough near Kirby Stephen?

I'm not interested in this car that you keep shouting about.
With the greatest of respect to Mr Hogg; There is not very much in Cornwall
Mr Mason.
I've been there. Nice empty roads, nice people, nice countryside but not
much to do.

Might get a job in Waitrose as they have very good shares and bonus
schemes like BP did.

No you won't. You are over qualified.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Judith wrote
Simon Mason wrote

New jobs - track down the surgeon who saved my leg to thank him, rail
trip to Manchester for 58 b/day, reply to NCP when threatening letter
arrives, trip to Penzance, pop concert in Dortmund, cycling club
dinner, BP old boys dinner, new dentures, hair cut and vele vele
andere.

Fascinating: you're obviously really quite well off.

I hope you've never published your home address in newsgroups - having
given the dates your house will be empty whilst on holiday.

He's actually posted a picture of the front of it and the car he owns
which isnt the most common around, and the name of the village.
But I doubt many burglars have even heard of usenet, let alone
waste their time combing it for those who spell out when they
will be away for a while.

I doubt if its his car, it has tax and insurance.

Unlikely that he would be spending that sort of money on
someone else's car and he clearly has plenty of money to
buy that stupid watch and to pay for the trips he is making.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
[...]

Sure, but that isnt all that likely to happen.

There comes a time when it's not a good idea to pour money into something
of little value.

He does have a point tho, not that much to spend
to have a decent very reliable car if it suits you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 19:46, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I've been there. Nice empty roads, nice people, nice countryside but not
much to do.

IME the nice empty roads, nice people and nice countryside mean there's
loads to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
On 23/10/2016 19:46, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I've been there. Nice empty roads, nice people, nice countryside but
not much to do.

IME the nice empty roads, nice people and nice countryside mean
there's loads to do.

Not realistically. After a few days one runs out of places of interest to
visit.
Are you really going to Google?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 19:41:07 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:

There comes a time when it's not a good idea to pour money into
something of little value.

Like saying it is no use spending £400 on new tyres for a 1967 Lotus Europa.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 19:49:56 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

There comes a time when it's not a good idea to pour money into something
of little value.

He does have a point tho, not that much to spend
to have a decent very reliable car if it suits you.

Spot on - who in their right mind would scrap something like this for a couple of grand?

http://bit.ly/2cLqcxx

£2000 would buy you a poxy clapped out 05 Vectra.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 20:35, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Clive George wrote:
On 23/10/2016 19:46, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I've been there. Nice empty roads, nice people, nice countryside but
not much to do.

IME the nice empty roads, nice people and nice countryside mean
there's loads to do.

Not realistically. After a few days one runs out of places of interest to
visit.
Are you really going to Google?

There's 600-odd miles of coastline for a start.

I'm not really complaining that you can't find anything of interest
there - means there's more space for people like me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 17:34, ARW wrote:
And when in Krakow do visit the Wieliczcka salt mines and/or Oswiecim.

Huh? We just did.

They really rush you through Wieliczcka - until you get to the shops...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
Clive George escribió:

I'm not really complaining that you can't find anything of interest
there

Boredom implies a lack of imagination.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 19:10:50 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 19:01:24 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

How does it feel to be so disliked Mr Mason?

The people that matter do not dislike me and are happy that I survived jumping off a bridge and getting run over by a truck. Stuff the rest.

You tried to commit suicide?

--
"I have a ringing in my ears." Doctor: "Don't answer!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
On 23/10/2016 19:46, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I've been there. Nice empty roads, nice people, nice countryside but
not much to do.

IME the nice empty roads, nice people and nice countryside mean
there's loads to do.

Not realistically. After a few days one runs out of places of interest to
visit.
Are you really going to Google?

There's 600-odd miles of coastline for a start.

I'm not really complaining that you can't find anything of interest
there - means there's more space for people like me.

Depends if like us you like countryside. Mr Pounder sounds like he wants actual places like museums to go to.

--
A government survey has shown that 91% of illegal immigrants come to this country so that they can see their own doctor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote

How does it feel to be so disliked Mr Mason?

The people that matter do not dislike me and are happy that I survived
jumping off a bridge and getting run over by a truck. Stuff the rest.

You tried to commit suicide?

Yes he did.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 01:10:40 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote

How does it feel to be so disliked Mr Mason?

The people that matter do not dislike me and are happy that I survived
jumping off a bridge and getting run over by a truck. Stuff the rest.

You tried to commit suicide?

Yes he did.

He claims to have had a wonderful life....

--
The longest recorded flight of a chicken is thirteen seconds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 23:40:15 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 19:10:50 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 19:01:24 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

How does it feel to be so disliked Mr Mason?

The people that matter do not dislike me and are happy that I survived jumping off a bridge and getting run over by a truck. Stuff the rest.

You tried to commit suicide?

I had 30 years experience of sailing on ferries including being in force 11 gales and have never had a problem with it. However, in June 2012 I stepped off a Rotterdam €“ Hull ferry and felt as if I was still at sea. I expected it may last a day or two, but after a months it was still there.

I became worried as even walking in a straight line was difficult. I spent hours walking around wondering what was going on. It not only affected my gait, but my brain as well. As I worked as a Laboratory Analyst accuracy was very important to me but I found that even the simplest of tasks was now beyond me.

I then had thoughts about where this would lead as I now knew I had MdDS and there was no cure. I had thoughts of losing my job, home and everything I had worked for for 40 years. Suicidal thoughts began to take over and so on 9 SEP 13, I jumped off a bridge and was run over by a 44T truck.

I woke up in intensive car e and spent 4 months in hospital, followed by 8 months in bed at home, but the suicidal thoughts were still there as my sick pay would run out on 9 SEP 14. In the end, I was able to retire at age 56 and pay off my debts, and the suicidal thoughts gradually went away.

I had no MdDS at all any more and have been on 4 ferry trips since and it has never come back. We have booked a cruise to Russia next year as I am not afraid of it returning agai
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote
Rod Speed wrote
James Wilkinson Sword wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote

How does it feel to be so disliked Mr Mason?

The people that matter do not dislike me and are happy that I survived
jumping off a bridge and getting run over by a truck. Stuff the rest.

You tried to commit suicide?

Yes he did.

He claims to have had a wonderful life....

He ended up with a serious medical problem and when he
had used up all his sick leave and some fool in HR told him
that he wouldn't even be able to pay the mortgage etc...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 October 2016 03:30:33 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote
Rod Speed wrote
James Wilkinson Sword wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote

How does it feel to be so disliked Mr Mason?

The people that matter do not dislike me and are happy that I survived
jumping off a bridge and getting run over by a truck. Stuff the rest..

You tried to commit suicide?

Yes he did.

He claims to have had a wonderful life....

He ended up with a serious medical problem and when he
had used up all his sick leave and some fool in HR told him
that he wouldn't even be able to pay the mortgage etc...

No - the MdDS that I had for 15 months drove me to suicide in the first place. In HDU, the MdDS had gone, but my sick pay would run out in a year's time so I was suicidal for that reason now.

In the end, I was overpaid by £9000 as they should have halved my pay after 6 months, but cocked it up and I ended up retiring on my 56 birthday anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 23, 2016 at 6:39:45 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 23 October 2016 17:34:52 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

Sounds like Triggers broom:-)

And when in Krakow do visit the Wieliczcka salt mines and/or Oswiecim.

We drove to Krakow again last year and went to Oswiecim on the way to Wroclaw which we prefer to Krakow as it is less full of tourists and just as beautiful.

The only tourists being obnoxious in Krakow were our fellow countrymen. Literally rolling around drunk, fighting and collapsing in alcoholic stupors in the street. Real ambassadors
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 October 2016 08:40:40 UTC+1, fred wrote:
On Sunday, October 23, 2016 at 6:39:45 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 23 October 2016 17:34:52 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

Sounds like Triggers broom:-)

And when in Krakow do visit the Wieliczcka salt mines and/or Oswiecim.

We drove to Krakow again last year and went to Oswiecim on the way to Wroclaw which we prefer to Krakow as it is less full of tourists and just as beautiful.

The only tourists being obnoxious in Krakow were our fellow countrymen. Literally rolling around drunk, fighting and collapsing in alcoholic stupors in the street. Real ambassadors

Which is why we diverted to Avignon as we didn't fancy the tear gas in Marseilles during Euro '16.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Clf_4ndWkAE2JIj.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 03:13:32 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

Ouch, sorry to hear that. It seems absurd to me that they don't know how to fix something that simple.

--
"Have you read The Three Musketeers?"
"No, only one of them."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 05:01:31 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

Wow, they never tried to correct such a large cockup?

--
Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.