Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pilot light off in summer?

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 20:58:40 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Uncle Peter wrote

Anyone turn the pilot light of their boiler or gas fire off in summer?

It struck me it would cost a lot of gas over the year (and from what
I've
read it's anything from £25 to £90 a year).

Then I found this! "With the pilot off, there are still trace amounts
of
gas molecules in the burner and pilot tubes of your fireplace. The gas
companies add a chemical called Mercaptan to the gas which gives it that
lovely odor we all know. Spiders are attracted to the smell of the
Mercaptan and will sometimes build webs in the pilot and burner tubes
when
the flow of gas is off. So when you go to turn on your fireplace in the
early fall or late summer, it will not work, and you will have to call
you
local installer to come service the unit. This will cost money."

Doesn't explain how modern systems that have no
pilot light at all manage to work fine when first used
after the summer has ended.

Maybe the valve is positioned closer to the end

The valve position is completely irrelevant
to anything the spider has access to.

and less smell is made to attract spiders?

That can't fly either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:31:13 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 19:15:10 -0000, Unbeliever
wrote:

Uncle Peter wrote:
Anyone turn the pilot light of their boiler or gas fire off in summer?

Of course, it goes off every time it has ignited the gas burner -
doesn't
yours do that then?

It struck me it would cost a lot of gas over the year (and from what
I've read it's anything from £25 to £90 a year).

It would only cost that if the pilot light was left on all the time,
now
because mine only lights up when the electronic igniter turns the gas
on
and
that little blue spark thing does it job and sets the gas alight it
save
me
a lot of cash. Dont yours do that then?

The only spark thing on mine is manual, and used to light the pilot
light
if I've turned it off. The pilot remains on 24/7 ready to ignite the
burner when the boiler decides to run.

Then I found this! "With the pilot off, there are still trace
amounts of gas molecules in the burner and pilot tubes of your
fireplace. The gas companies add a chemical called Mercaptan to the
gas which gives it that lovely odor we all know. Spiders are
attracted to the smell of the Mercaptan and will sometimes build webs
in the pilot and burner tubes when the flow of gas is off. So when
you go to turn on your fireplace in the early fall or late summer, it
will not work, and you will have to call you local installer to come
service the unit. This will cost money."

A load of Yankee ******** (not a Yank are you Uncle Peter?) If you are,
then
that would explain many things about you. As for spiders building their
webs
there, when the sparky thing or a match lights the pilot light that
will
set
fire to the webs and the spiders making the gas easier to light

Maybe,

No maybe about it.

depends how thick the web in the pipe is.

There can be no web in the pipe, no spider can get thru the pilot jet.

Oh.

Gas isn't that high a pressure.

The gas pressure is irrelevant. Even if that silly myth was true,
and it can't be given that only dinosaurs even have a pilot jet
at all anymore, any web anywhere near the pilot jet would
soon be burnt off as soon as the jet lights.

Unless it blocked the jet

Webs can't do that.

and no gas got out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Unbeliever" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
"Unbeliever" wrote in message
Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 17:35:47 -0000, Bob Eager
wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 17:29:09 +0000, Mick wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news Anyone turn the pilot light of their boiler or gas fire off in
summer?

Never had a pilot light!

I'd be interested to know what proportion of new boilers have
them...

I've never had a new boiler. I take it they start with an electric
spark like modern cookers? I've never known a cooker sparker to
wear out, so I guess the boilers don't either?

Well you are not that knowledgeable are you really?

We'll see...

Petrol cars have "sparkers" AKA spark plugs,

Yes.

and if you drive, then you know that they wear out quite regularly -
so why wouldn't those used on boilers and cookers be any different?

Because they don't spark anything like as much, stupid.

But do they or *DON'T* they wear out then

Normally the device they are part of is replaced first with cookers.

reams of your puerile **** any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed
where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Maybe the valve is positioned closer to the end and less smell is
made to attract spiders?

My sides are aching so much from laughing at you Uncle Peter, I think it's
time to abandon this thread before I do myself some damage as a result..

Have a good day and a word of advice get a carbon monoxide Detector for your
own safety as you may well wake up and find yourself dead one day when your
old boiler attacks you with the stuff due to lack of servicing and
ham-fisted interference from you.

Any CO goes outside you fool.

--
What do you call an aerobics instructor who doesn't cause pain & agony?
Unemployed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It reduces the amount of stray gas.

and less smell is made to attract spiders?

That can't fly either.

That doesn't mean they can't get to the fire.

--
A minister gave a talk to the Lions Club on sex. When he got home, he couldn't tell his wife that he had spoken on sex, so he said he had discussed horseback riding with the members.
A few days later, she ran into some men at the shopping center and they complimented her on the speech her husband had made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Nope, the position of the valve has no effect on that.

and less smell is made to attract spiders?

That can't fly either.

That doesn't mean they can't get to the fire.

Doesn't matter if they do, as soon as it lights,
its bye bye web and any spider stupid enough
to still be on that web.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Uncle Peter wrote:
[...]

Webs are the strongest fibres known to mankind.

But spiders don't weave them across a gas jet blocking them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unbeliever wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:21:19 -0000, Unbeliever
wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 20:47:13 -0000, Unbeliever
wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 17:29:09 +0000, Mick wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news Anyone turn the pilot light of their boiler or gas fire off in
summer?

Never had a pilot light!

I'd be interested to know what proportion of new boilers have
them...

I've never had a new boiler. I take it they start with an
electric spark like modern cookers? I've never known a cooker
sparker to wear out, so I guess the boilers don't either?

Well you are not that knowledgeable are you really? Petrol cars
have "sparkers" AKA spark plugs, and if you drive, then you know
that they wear out quite regularly - so why wouldn't those used
on boilers and cookers be any different?

You are a little tinker aren't you with your teasing little
idiocies? It's great to see that you really enjoy being laughed
at or the
butt of many jokes and obscenities.

I'm currently laughing at you, as you don't seem to realise that a
car spark plug operates 1000s of times a minute. Your boiler
doesn't start that many times in a day.

You have yet to realise that the principle is the same and erosion
occurs at the tips of both.

My boiler fires up quite often during the day and the boiler
igniter has been replaced on several occasions due spark erosion
at the tip. Never mind, you'll still be laughed at and be the butt of
jokes and
abuse simply because of your idiocies while you still continue to
post as you do.

"Quit often" is probably say thirty times a day. If you drive your
car for half an hour each day, that's 45000 sparks from each plug a
day. So your boiler spark plug should last 1500 times longer than
your car spark plug.

I doubt it old son - I drive a diesel and to the best of my
knowledge, the don't have spark plugs. They do have four glow plugs
though, and while you're spouting inane statistics, I wonder if you
could tell me how many times they fire per cycle of a four stroke
engine, per cylinder? LAMAO as usual, your facts lack one important
thing - accuracy,
which just in case you don't understand the word, there are two
dictionary definitions of it below:

1 - The fact of being exact or correct
2 - The ability to do something without making mistakes

You said "Petrol cars" above, that's what we're comparing to boilers,
because they make sparks like boilers. FFS you're forgetful.

There you go again! Cussing just to object to a sensible analogy that was
made to compare two different types of sparking plugs.

Illiterate sod.

If you are including glow plugs in your different types of spark plugs
you are in error, and electrodes in stoves do wear out but not as often
as the electronics that generate the spark.
Spark gap in stove electrodes can be adjusted as they wear usually.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unbeliever wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
[...]

If not spiders then wasps will lay their eggs in there (with a spider
for food)and seal off jet with mud

when the sparky thing or a match lights the pilot light that will set
fire to the webs and the spiders making the gas easier to light after afer
its couple of weeks rest in this country and that will stop the installer
having to come and service it. I've just thought of something, doesnt an
installer fit the gas thingy - it must be bloody expensive where you live
then to have to have a new gas boiler fitted every year just because your
too dumb to call out gas service engineer rather than an installer?

Uncle Peter, I've refrained from getting involved with your idiotic attempts
at posting as if you are an illiterate, but you have given me such a smile
at this latest load of ******** of yours I couldn't resist responding. Thank
you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
Anyone turn the pilot light of their boiler or gas fire off in
summer?

Of course, it goes off every time it has ignited the gas burner -
doesn't yours do that then?

It struck me it would cost a lot of gas over the year (and from what
I've read it's anything from £25 to £90 a year).

It would only cost that if the pilot light was left on all the time,
now because mine only lights up when the electronic igniter turns
the gas on and that little blue spark thing does it job and sets the
gas alight it save me a lot of cash. Dont yours do that then?

The only spark thing on mine is manual, and used to light the pilot
light if I've turned it off. The pilot remains on 24/7 ready to
ignite the burner when the boiler decides to run.

The you really are an idiot allowing the pilot light to burn in such a
manner, only idiots with little knowledge do that these days with the cost
of gas the way it is - and you fall into that group!

You may be the idiot here, a few years ago heaters and burners were
designed with permanently on pilots which were not designed to be turned
on and off at will (usually fairly complicated action)It was never done
except in cases of prolonged absences.There would be many of these
heating devices still in existence.

Then I found this! "With the pilot off, there are still trace
amounts of gas molecules in the burner and pilot tubes of your
fireplace. The gas companies add a chemical called Mercaptan to the
gas which gives it that lovely odor we all know. Spiders are
attracted to the smell of the Mercaptan and will sometimes build
webs in the pilot and burner tubes when the flow of gas is off. So
when you go to turn on your fireplace in the early fall or late
summer, it will not work, and you will have to call you local
installer to come service the unit. This will cost money."

A load of Yankee ******** (not a Yank are you Uncle Peter?) If you
are, then that would explain many things about you. As for spiders
building their webs there, when the sparky thing or a match lights
the pilot light that will set fire to the webs and the spiders
making the gas easier to light

Maybe, depends how thick the web in the pipe is. Gas isn't that high
a pressure.

Who's talking about gas pressure? A match will burn a spider's web alone and
when the pilot fires up, then the spider will also fry!

after afer
its couple of weeks rest in this country and that will stop the
installer having to come and service it. I've just thought of
something, doesnt an installer fit the gas thingy - it must be
bloody expensive where you live then to have to have a new gas
boiler fitted every year just because your too dumb to call out gas
service engineer rather than an installer?

That was a quote from a website, hence the " marks. I never said
anything about an installer or engineer.

Then it shows your incapability to comprehend the information that you read
before re-posting it.

Uncle Peter, I've refrained from getting involved with your idiotic
attempts at posting as if you are an illiterate, but you have given
me such a smile at this latest load of ******** of yours I couldn't
resist responding. Thank you

Your English above is terrible. "after afer its couple of weeks rest"

A touch of the Kettle calling the old saucepan black with just a smidgeon of
hypocrisy on your part is rather obvious with the lack of your command of
the English in your posts - and (from a previous thread) your parrots could
teach you a thing or two about language usage.

Still laughing at you old son and enjoying it, so carry on posting the
drivel, only keep the foul language down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unbeliever wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
[...]

It's how the boiler is designed.

Sigh at the idiocy of the statement - I know full well it's designed that
way, but you lack the intelligence to do anything about - which according to
some figures I've seen, would save around £5000 a year by changing it to an
energy efficient one!

Crap, show the figures.

[...]

The web could be back away from the match.

Bloody hell, a live and kicking spider's web! Roaring with laughter.

I've yet to see a spider's web "back away" from any match, I've seen them
'shiver' with the rising heat, but *never*, *never* back away from one. Now
the old spider, that is a different matter, they do "back away" a bit with
hot match chasing them. vbg

after afer
its couple of weeks rest in this country and that will stop the
installer having to come and service it. I've just thought of
something, doesnt an installer fit the gas thingy - it must be
bloody expensive where you live then to have to have a new gas
boiler fitted every year just because your too dumb to call out gas
service engineer rather than an installer?

That was a quote from a website, hence the " marks. I never said
anything about an installer or engineer.

Then it shows your incapability to comprehend the information that
you read before re-posting it.

The important thing was the spider, not who comes to sort it.

Are you really that dense to believe that rubbish?

Uncle Peter, I've refrained from getting involved with your idiotic
attempts at posting as if you are an illiterate, but you have given
me such a smile at this latest load of ******** of yours I couldn't
resist responding. Thank you

Your English above is terrible. "after afer its couple of weeks
rest"

A touch of the Kettle calling the old saucepan black with just a
smidgeon of hypocrisy on your part is rather obvious with the lack
of your command of the English in your posts - and (from a previous
thread) your parrots could teach you a thing or two about language
usage.

Contrarywise. You called me illiterate, without even checking your
paragraph above for two ****ups.

Only "two ****ups" - I could easily find a post of yours with many, many
more than "two". And an even bigger grin at that!

Still laughing at you old son and enjoying it, so carry on posting
the drivel, only keep the foul language down.

Ah. You're one of those morons that doesn't like foul language, that
says it all.

Foul language used in the right situations doesn't bother me at all, and in
fact, I occasionally use it myself when *talking* in like-minded groups of
people that I know - but generally when you use it as every-day language, it
shows a great lack of command of the English language which is a good sign
of illiteracy, sadly of which many of your posts confirm.

Ergo, I consider those who use "foul language" as an excuse "morons" - of
which you are certainly one!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
[...]

OOPS not jet,Just remembered the cases I used to see, burner holes

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news Anyone turn the pilot light of their boiler or gas fire off in summer?

It struck me it would cost a lot of gas over the year (and from what I've
read it's anything from £25 to £90 a year).

Then I found this! "With the pilot off, there are still trace amounts of
gas molecules in the burner and pilot tubes of your fireplace. The gas
companies add a chemical called Mercaptan to the gas which gives it that
lovely odor we all know. Spiders are attracted to the smell of the Mercaptan
and will sometimes build webs in the pilot and burner tubes when the flow of
gas is off. So when you go to turn on your fireplace in the early fall or
late summer, it will not work, and you will have to call you local installer
to come service the unit. This will cost money."

Bollix.
The reason for turning the pilot off is to save gas and to prolong the life
of the thermcouple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 17:29:09 +0000, Mick wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news Anyone turn the pilot light of their boiler or gas fire off in summer?

Never had a pilot light!

I'd be interested to know what proportion of new boilers have them...

None, they are all condensing.
This means there has to be a fan as the combustion products have no
buoynacy.
This means there has to be post and pre firing purges.

This mens there can be no pilot light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Your heater plugs in your diesel ony work for a few seconds prior to
starting a cold engine.
There is no spark either.
They do not ignite the fuel ****-fer-brains.

Conditions in a car engine and a gas boiler are totally unrelated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Farmer Giles" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:
[...]

Glow plugs only operate when the ignition is first switched on to heat up
the cylinder, they don't 'fire' after that. In fact they don't fire at
all, just heat up and 'glow' for a short time.

Glow plugs vapourise the fuel in the inlet manifold to make starting easier
when cold.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 15:45:53 +1100, F Murtz wrote:

You may be the idiot here, a few years ago heaters and burners were
designed with permanently on pilots which were not designed to be turned
on and off at will (usually fairly complicated action)It was never done
except in cases of prolonged absences.There would be many of these
heating devices still in existence.

"A few years ago"? I'd suggest it was a lot longer than that, (at least!)
nearer twenty years than ten since boilers had pilots routinely.

Sure, there'll be a reasonably large number still in use - but it'll be a
very small percentage of all boilers, and shrinking rapidly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , harryagain
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news boiler or gas fire off in summer?

It struck me it would cost a lot of gas over the year (and from what I've
read it's anything from £25 to £90 a year).

Then I found this! "With the pilot off, there are still trace amounts of
gas molecules in the burner and pilot tubes of your fireplace. The gas
companies add a chemical called Mercaptan to the gas which gives it that
lovely odor we all know. Spiders are attracted to the smell of the
Mercaptan and will sometimes build webs in the pilot and burner tubes
when the flow of gas is off. So when you go to turn on your fireplace in
the early fall or late summer, it will not work, and you will have to
call you local installer to come service the unit. This will cost money."

Bollix. The reason for turning the pilot off is to save gas and to
prolong the life of the thermcouple.

so, you turn the pilot light off to save gas and, as a result, heat your
water by electricity which costs far more than gas - so you end up paying
more in your energy bill. Logical - no.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I turned the boiler off in an empty bungalow over the summer but then it wouldn't light in the summer and had to pay an expert £45ish to come out and fiddle with it to get it going. something to do with the air diaphragm. Would have been cheaper to leave it on, I think it fires every 24 hours to keep things unfrozen.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 08:54:23 +0000, harryagain wrote:

Glow plugs vapourise the fuel in the inlet manifold to make starting
easier when cold.

No, they don't.

Glow plugs aren't in the inlet manifold, they're in the combustion
chamber.
Diesel fuel isn't injected into the inlet manifold, it's injected
directly into into the cylinder or - on older indirect injection engines
- into pre-ignition chambers.
Diesel fuel is massively vaporised by the injectors, at a pressure of
tens of thousands of psi. Even cold.
Diesel fuel is IGNITED by combustion pressure alone and, when cold, that
needs a bit of warmth to help it get started.

THAT's what glow plugs do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glowplug

I would suggest you stick to expounding on subjects you understand, but
you'd probably be silent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

They aren't enough at -19C. You need a fan heater under the bonnet for a bit.

--
What do bungee jumping and sex with a prostitute have in common?
1) They both cost about $100.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2015 08:46, harryagain wrote:
None, they are all condensing.

Not true.

http://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/Vokera-Mynute-24se-non-condensing-system-boiler-and-flue

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I believe you are correct. I thought they warmed the diesel to make it thinner, so the INJECTORS could vapourise it.

--
He was so unlucky . . .
Last week, his inflatable doll ran off with his airbag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 08:46:22 -0000, harryagain wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 17:29:09 +0000, Mick wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news Anyone turn the pilot light of their boiler or gas fire off in summer?

Never had a pilot light!

I'd be interested to know what proportion of new boilers have them...

None, they are all condensing.
This means there has to be a fan as the combustion products have no
buoynacy.
This means there has to be post and pre firing purges.

This mens there can be no pilot light.

No, not all boilers are condensing. My neighbour just had a new boiler installed, and avoided a condensing one because he'd heard that they're unreliable.

--
The longest recorded flight of a chicken is thirteen seconds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 10:18:25 -0000, charles wrote:

In article , harryagain
wrote:

[...]

I don't heat water. I think that's a very wasteful and stupid idea (and I'm not even a treehugging-greenhouse-effect-believing moron).

--
Bad or missing mouse. Spank the cat [Y/N]?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 08:42:34 -0000, harryagain wrote:

[...]

Trouble is when it won't bloody light. Every time I've had it off for a while, it takes ages to get it going.

--
A can of diet coke floats in water, but a can of regular coke sinks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

No, the glow plugs do their work AFTER the fuel has been vapourised and
injected into the combusion chamber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Probably because the feed pipe get full of air. At least that's what I
worked out.

-- A can of diet coke floats in water, but a can of regular coke sinks.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes, it does have a ridiculously long feed pipe. The valve should be close to the pilot.

--
Anybody who claims that marriage is a fifty-fifty proposition doesn't know a damned thing about women or fractions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I see, so there's nothing in the average car diesel engine to combat very cold ambient temperatures. You'd think they could have a diesel pipe heater.

--
An American tourist asks an Irishman:
"Why do Scuba divers always fall backwards off their boats?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I do believe that some people fit a kind of heater in diesel fuel tanks
and lines, although I think that has something to with when they use
vegetable oil instead of diesel - which many do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probably like using LPG, it ****s the engine.

--
"Naff" is actually an old gay slang for useless, from its original meaning of 'heterosexual' i.e. Not Available For ****ing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It doesn't actually.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I've heard you have to use diesel every 4th fill. That rings warning bells.

--
Microsoft: This company has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

That is wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetab..._and_usability

That rings warning bells.

Only if you don't have a clue about the basics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 19:07:05 -0000, Farmer Giles

wrote:
[...]

There are a lot of things to adjust and cater for in that link.

--
A woman sends her clothing out to the Chinese laundry. When it comes back there are still stains in her panties. The next week she encloses a note to the Chinaman that says, "Use more soap on panties."
This goes on for several weeks, the woman sending the same note to the laundry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Doesn't make for warning bells.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 21:55:48 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:
[...]

Yes it does. If one of those is done incorrectly, irrepairable damage may occur. Best to stick to what the engineers designed the engine to run on.

--
My Wife was at the beauty shop for two hours. That was only for the estimate.
She got a mudpack and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.