Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Netaheat profile 60e - Pilot light won't light

I have a Netaheat profile 60e

Symptoms:
No main burn
No pilot light
Fan is running
no 'sparking sound' to be heard
The 'cutout' (?) button on the bottom is not out (in the past, the
boiler has occasionally cut out, and this button pops out. Pushing and
holding it in relights the pilot, and then the main burn)

Any ideas??

Neal

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Feb, 19:51, "Neal" wrote:
I have a Netaheat profile 60e

Symptoms:
No main burn
No pilot light
Fan is running
no 'sparking sound' to be heard
The 'cutout' (?) button on the bottom is not out (in the past, the
boiler has occasionally cut out, and this button pops out. Pushing and
holding it in relights the pilot, and then the main burn)

Any ideas??

Neal

first thing you should look at is the air pressure switch as that is
hope that helps
pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com, Neal
writes
I have a Netaheat profile 60e

Symptoms:
No main burn
No pilot light
Fan is running
no 'sparking sound' to be heard
The 'cutout' (?) button on the bottom is not out (in the past, the
boiler has occasionally cut out, and this button pops out. Pushing and
holding it in relights the pilot, and then the main burn)

Is the fan transferring the air pressure switch from normally closed to
normally open ?

If the APS isn't changing state, then it won't progress to opening the
pilot and sparking

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 26, 9:48 pm, raden wrote:
In message .com, Neal
writesI have a Netaheat profile 60e

Symptoms:
No main burn
No pilot light
Fan is running
no 'sparking sound' to be heard
The 'cutout' (?) button on the bottom is not out (in the past, the
boiler has occasionally cut out, and this button pops out. Pushing and
holding it in relights the pilot, and then the main burn)

Is the fan transferring the air pressure switch from normally closed to
normally open ?

If the APS isn't changing state, then it won't progress to opening the
pilot and sparking

--
geoff

When I switch it on, and the fan sarts up, there is a delay, and then
a click of sorts. - I think this is the air pressure switch tripping?
But then - nothing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

there was a problem with the early models that the spark gap opened
up due to the groung post (bent piece of metal ) moving away from the
spark electrode, there should be about 3.5 mm gap try that,
pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 03:11:18 -0800, Neal wrote:

On Feb 26, 9:48 pm, raden wrote:
[...]

Th "click of sorts" could be the APS and PCB relay moving. It might also
be the click of the pilot gas valve which would happen 'simultaneously'
with those clicks.

Since there is no sparking the chances are that the spark lead is
shorted or the spark generator (PCB module) is kaput. You might be able to
get another clue by seeing if there is any smell of gas from the flue
terminal - this would show that the pilot gas valve has opened.

I think the correct sounds should be
Whirr (the fan) : 5-10 seconds (there are flow restrictors in the APS
tubes) : tick (APS switch)+click (PCB relay)+chonk(pilot gv) :
tick-tick-tick (HT sparker): silence a second or so (pilot lit but
flame sense making up it's mind) : CHONK (main GV) : hiss (gas flowing) :
woomph (gas ignites).

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com, Neal
writes
On Feb 26, 9:48 pm, raden wrote:
[...]

Ah - there are two clicks

one from the APS and the other from a relay on the pcb

You've reached the stage where it is either necessary to measure
something or be bold and operate the APS manually. I don't think that
the latter option is a good idea if you don't understand what you're
doing. To perform the former also requires you to be competent to make
electrical measurements

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
gasman pete writes
there was a problem with the early models that the spark gap opened
up due to the groung post (bent piece of metal ) moving away from the
spark electrode, there should be about 3.5 mm gap try that,
pete

Nah - I don't think so

you'd still hear the spark discharging somewhere, even if not at the
electrode. There is a spark gap on the back of the pcb just for that
purpose

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ed Sirett
writes

When I switch it on, and the fan sarts up, there is a delay, and then
a click of sorts. - I think this is the air pressure switch tripping?
But then - nothing

Th "click of sorts" could be the APS and PCB relay moving. It might also
be the click of the pilot gas valve which would happen 'simultaneously'
with those clicks.

Since there is no sparking the chances are that the spark lead is
shorted

No - you'd still hear the spark gap on the primary discharging, it's
just that it's drowned out by the secondary spark during normal
operation

BTW, did an Indian lady phone you today ?

I took the liberty of giving her your phone number

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 26, 9:48 pm, raden wrote:
[...]

The FAQ for uk.diy is athttp://www.diyfaq.org.uk
Sealed CH FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html
Choosing a Boiler FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html
Gas Fitting Standards Docs hehttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFittingStandards

Thanks

All the answers have been useful, but I vote this the most useful to
me who is not quite sure of what is going on.
From this I strongly suspect it is my PCB.

After the fan starts, I am hearing a sound more like a "chonk", which
suggest from the above the pilot valvle IS opening. But then no sparks
I also think I can smell a whiff of gas in the flue.

I think I have reached the limit of my knowledge, so I have a guy
coming this afternoon (name found in littlegreenbook.co.uk- wish me
luck)
I have told him I strongly the suspect the PCB, so he has agreed to
try and bring a re[placement with him...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com, Neal
writes
All the answers have been useful, but I vote this the most useful to
me who is not quite sure of what is going on.
From this I strongly suspect it is my PCB.

After the fan starts, I am hearing a sound more like a "chonk", which
suggest from the above the pilot valvle IS opening. But then no sparks
I also think I can smell a whiff of gas in the flue.

I think I have reached the limit of my knowledge, so I have a guy
coming this afternoon (name found in littlegreenbook.co.uk- wish me
luck)
I have told him I strongly the suspect the PCB, so he has agreed to
try and bring a re[placement with him...

I take it, you've seen my site

www.cetltd.com

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Feb, 20:15, raden wrote:
In message .com, Neal
writesAll the answers have been useful, but I vote this the most useful to
me who is not quite sure of what is going on.
From this I strongly suspect it is my PCB.

After the fan starts, I am hearing a sound more like a "chonk", which
suggest from the above the pilot valvle IS opening. But then no sparks
I also think I can smell a whiff of gas in the flue.

I think I have reached the limit of my knowledge, so I have a guy
coming this afternoon (name found in littlegreenbook.co.uk- wish me
luck)
I have told him I strongly the suspect the PCB, so he has agreed to
try and bring a re[placement with him...

I take it, you've seen my site

www.cetltd.com

--
geoff

Oddly enough, I just found your site from a link on the Fool.co.uk
site

Turns out it was the air pressure switch after all. It had stuck
A knock, and it worked again....untill yesterday.
Another knock then and it worked...Until this morning
This morning: the fan has packed in. I feel like the the dutch boy
with his thumb

So, I am planning to get a new boiler (old one is clearly dying)
But in the meantime (my friendly plumber is on holiday) I need a quick
fix (2 small children....)
So Geoff, expect a call in the morning for a ("new") fan

Neal

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com, Neal
writes
On 28 Feb, 20:15, raden wrote:
In message .com, Neal
writesAll the answers have been useful, but I
vote this the most useful to
me who is not quite sure of what is going on.
From this I strongly suspect it is my PCB.
[...]

If the APS is knackered, it will not bring on the fan

It needs a good short circuit between the normally closed and common on
the APS to allow the fan to work

I'm not sure that your "clearly dying" diagnosis is necessarily anywhere
close to the mark

I'm not sure of the price of an APS, but added to £75 ++ for a fan AND
pcb would be far less than the cost of replacing the boiler at £1500 or
more

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 18:52:11 +0000, raden wrote:

In message .com, Neal
writes
On 28 Feb, 20:15, raden wrote:
In message .com, Neal
writesAll the answers have been useful, but I
vote this the most useful to
me who is not quite sure of what is going on.
From this I strongly suspect it is my PCB.
[...]

It's not replacing the boiler that costs. It's upgrading the heating
system to comply with Part L

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ed Sirett
writes

[...]

Hence the £1500+ price tag ...

--
geoff

Propane Stove: Pilot Light Won't Stay Light Testing Thermopile John F. Home Repair 5 April 25th 06 06:34 PM
My gas Furnace would not light automatic pilot light CuriousJay Home Repair 2 October 23rd 05 04:10 AM
Update pilot light wont light Jason UK diy 0 October 4th 05 03:14 PM
Pilot light wont light Jason UK diy 14 October 2nd 05 08:23 AM
Pilot light won't light? ? ? Ray Jenkins Home Repair 6 April 4th 04 08:29 PM