Ray Jenkins

Default Pilot light won't light? ? ?

I have a six-year-old Magic Chef gas range -- which has caused me a lot of
trouble and expense to keep operating properly.

The current problem: The pilot light won't light one of the burners.

The other three work properly: First you hear a clicking, sparking noise,
and the gas lights.

But this clicking, sparking sound does occur on the faulty one.

Any suggestions/ideas welcome.

Joseph Meehan

Ray Jenkins wrote:
I have a six-year-old Magic Chef gas range -- which has caused me a
lot of trouble and expense to keep operating properly.

The current problem: The pilot light won't light one of the burners.

The other three work properly: First you hear a clicking, sparking
noise, and the gas lights.

But this clicking, sparking sound does occur on the faulty one.

Any suggestions/ideas welcome.

It sounds like it does not have a pilot light, but a spark light.

No matter. It usually is something that needs cleaning. Lint, crude
etc. built up somewhere or something out of alignment. It mostly takes some
looking around to find out what.

BTW those spark igniters are a little sensitive, so if you are not
comfortable working with them, I suggest you find someone who is, or you
might cause more damage than good.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply

Ray Jenkins wrote:

The other three work properly: First you hear a clicking, sparking noise,
and the gas lights.

But this clicking, sparking sound does occur on the faulty one.

We had that problem in a relatively new stove, and after reading
something somewhere, I decided to try cleaning it well. I stuck the
parts that the flame goes around in a baggie with a half-cup of ammonia
and left it for a day or two (nontoxic oven cleaner method), then after
the fumes had a good chance to "steam" everything off, I scrubbed well,
dried, and replaced on burner.

It worked like a charm. This might work for you also, and I sincerely
hope it does.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
ryeish

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 00:50:52 GMT, "Ray Jenkins"
wrote:

I have a six-year-old Magic Chef gas range -- which has caused me a lot of
trouble and expense to keep operating properly.

The current problem: The pilot light won't light one of the burners.

The other three work properly: First you hear a clicking, sparking noise,
and the gas lights.

But this clicking, sparking sound does occur on the faulty one.

Any suggestions/ideas welcome.

The module that makes the "spark" can be faulty. Remove the steel
cover off of the gas inlet (under the burner). That little
igniter...make sure it's clean. If you have frequent boilovers and
stuff they can foul the igniter. Clean it well; if it still fails
you'll need to replace it. Not sure how much the part is, I had one
done a few years ago (the repair guy told me what caused it, we
haven't had any problems since).
ryeish

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 03:31:36 GMT, "Michael Daly"
wrote:

On 3-Apr-2004, ryeish wrote:

But this clicking, sparking sound does occur on the faulty one.

Any suggestions/ideas welcome.

The module that makes the "spark" can be faulty. Remove the steel
cover off of the gas inlet (under the burner). That little
igniter...make sure it's clean. If you have frequent boilovers and
stuff they can foul the igniter. Clean it well; if it still fails
you'll need to replace it. Not sure how much the part is, I had one
done a few years ago (the repair guy told me what caused it, we
haven't had any problems since).

Good answer if you assume the OP's post has a typo and he meant to
say "does _not_ occur".

As well as cleaning, I found that I could get better performance from
one problem burner by slightly bending the steel bit over the sparker
so that the gap between it and the sparker was slightly reduced. If
you look at the other burners and see where the spark forms and jumps
to, you'll understand.

HOWEVER! - I noticed that some of the newer electronic ignition stoves
have a very different design than my older one and this fix is not
likely/possible.

I was also told by a repair person that there are basically only two
versions of electronic ignition (i.e two OEMs) and only one is reliable.
Mine was unlike either of these two types. I haven't looked in a few
years, so there may be newer, improved versions now. IOW, YMMV.

He didn't say if he saw sparking, just that the sound occurs - which
happened with mine too. For some reason it sounds like all of them
click when you turn the one on.

Ray Jenkins

The malfunctioning burner has no clicking sound at all -- just the hissing
of gas that won't light.

So, no, I haven't seen any spark. But I don't see sparks with the
functioning ones either.

news
wrote:

On 3-Apr-2004, ryeish wrote:

[...]

jeff

"Ray Jenkins" wrote in message ...
I have a six-year-old Magic Chef gas range -- which has caused me a lot of
trouble and expense to keep operating properly.

The current problem: The pilot light won't light one of the burners.

The other three work properly: First you hear a clicking, sparking noise,
and the gas lights.

But this clicking, sparking sound does occur on the faulty one.

Any suggestions/ideas welcome.

Hi,

Some stuff that may help....

http://www.applianceaid.com/help_spark_moduals.html