Jason

Default Pilot light wont light

Hi all i have just put some money in the gas meter (card type thingy) as it
had ran out, and when i came to relight the boiler it wont light i can see i
spark, and the gas fire works (so i know the gas is on).
Does anybody know of what could be the problem i have a plumber (corgi
reged) on hand but iam relucent to call him in if it is something simple.
any help appreciated

--
Yours
Jason

Lurch

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:06:34 +0000 (UTC), "Jason"
scrawled:

i have a plumber (corgi reged) on hand

That would be a CORGI reg'd gas installer then as plumbers don't
require CORGI registration.

Sorry, had to be done.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
end user

I assume you have a permanent pilot light on your boiler and its not an
electronic ignition! You are trying to relight the pilot and you can
see the spark from the manually operated spark generator through the
sight glass, Yes (I assume) The pilot wont light. You have obviously
ran out of gas before due to the quantum meter and managed to light the
pilot yourself, ok. You need to get it looked at, better still get it
serviced, and after its serviced get the engineer to show you him
lighting the pilot from cold, to ensure you can relight it yourself
when your credit runs out again.

lee

"Jason" wrote in message
Hi all i have just put some money in the gas meter (card type thingy) as
it had ran out, and when i came to relight the boiler it wont light i can
see i spark, and the gas fire works (so i know the gas is on).
Does anybody know of what could be the problem i have a plumber (corgi
reged) on hand but iam relucent to call him in if it is something simple.
any help appreciated

--
Yours
Jason

When your gas ran out the pilot will still have been lit and would have
continued to burn all the gas available. if you keep trying to light
eventually the gas should purge back through. (hopefully)

HTH

Lee

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0539-2, 29/09/2005
Tested on: 29/09/2005 22:20:49

Eric The Viking

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:06:34 +0000 (UTC), "Jason"
scrawled:

i have a plumber (corgi reged) on hand

That would be a CORGI reg'd gas installer then as plumbers don't
require CORGI registration.

Sorry, had to be done.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Pedantic @ SJW Electrical

Sorry, had to be done.

ETV

Alan

Could be a knackered thermocouple, under a fiver for the part but
=A340/hour to fit it!

Lurch

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:23:59 +0100, "Eric The Viking"
scrawled:

Pedantic @ SJW Electrical

You rang?
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Paul

Jason wrote:
Hi all i have just put some money in the gas meter (card type thingy) as it
had ran out, and when i came to relight the boiler it wont light i can see i
spark, and the gas fire works (so i know the gas is on).
Does anybody know of what could be the problem i have a plumber (corgi
reged) on hand but iam relucent to call him in if it is something simple.
any help appreciated

Did you switch the boiler off at the plug and back on again? I had a
boiler that after a gas cut something in the electronics had to be reset.

--
Paul
Jason

Ok thanks for all your help will get the plumber around tommorow (sorry gas
installer) tried again to relight but no joy oh well.
thanks again.

--
Yours
Jason

Jason

No i have not tried that yet, never had to do it in the past but worth ago.
Have spoke to the gas installer again and he thinks it just needs purging
(or something like that).
many thanks

--
Yours
Jason

Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:36:58 +0100, Paul
wrote:

| Jason wrote:
| Hi all i have just put some money in the gas meter (card type thingy) as it
| had ran out, and when i came to relight the boiler it wont light i can see i
| spark, and the gas fire works (so i know the gas is on).
| Does anybody know of what could be the problem i have a plumber (corgi
| reged) on hand but iam relucent to call him in if it is something simple.
| any help appreciated
|
| Did you switch the boiler off at the plug and back on again? I had a
| boiler that after a gas cut something in the electronics had to be reset.

Good advice!
Almost everything now contains a computer, and all computers crash at
times.
Switch it off, wait 2 mins, switch it on again, reboots the computer, and
cures *many* problems. :-)

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.
raden

In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes
wrote:

| Jason wrote:
| Hi all i have just put some money in the gas meter (card type
| thingy) as it
| had ran out, and when i came to relight the boiler it wont light i
| can see i
| spark, and the gas fire works (so i know the gas is on).
| Does anybody know of what could be the problem i have a plumber (corgi
| reged) on hand but iam relucent to call him in if it is something simple.
| any help appreciated
|
| Did you switch the boiler off at the plug and back on again? I had a
| boiler that after a gas cut something in the electronics had to be reset.

Good advice!
Almost everything now contains a computer, and all computers crash at
times.
Switch it off, wait 2 mins, switch it on again, reboots the computer, and
cures *many* problems. :-)

ROTFLMAO

--
geoff
Rusty

"Jason" wrote in message
No i have not tried that yet, never had to do it in the past but worth
ago. Have spoke to the gas installer again and he thinks it just needs
purging (or something like that).
many thanks

Old Glowworms have a similar problem. Caused by condensed gungyness from
the gas in the micro porous filter just below the pilot jet. It would
light only with a match when cold, but was OK with the spark when warmed up.

One poster reckoned he fixed his by taking the pilot jet/filter out and
heating it up with a blowlamp to clean the filter.

Just a possiblity.

rusty

end user

Now then, lets see... what was that guy saying on the newsgroup just
disconnect this and heat this up with a blowlamp..........BOOM!!!